Unlimited access >

Remodeling an older shed for foaling barn

Looking for input from those who have done work/construction on their own barns. Or really input from horse owners in general. I am trying to find a composite stall siding that would be appropriate for lining the walls of a pre-existing structure in an attempt to turn it in to a safe foaling barn. I have heard of buying sheets of composite stall siding that is used to sandwich wooden boards so the horses don’t have access to chew the wood. I’m needing a siding that easily and effectively sanitized. I thought priefert made these sheets, but I can’t find them. I’m not interested in putting up pre-made stall dividers for two reasons; 1) I don’t care to spend $1200+ on a divider that I can essentially make myself; 2) I am building within a pre-existing shed and working with some really wonky dimensions, so the cost would go up even more. Also thinking about doing concrete blocks for dividers, but I can’t feasibly do concrete blocks on the walls without losing a lot of floor space. The walls are unfinished with exposed cross bracing, and about 10 inches of jagged/less-than-perfect exposed concrete foundation. Ideally I would like to fill the wall in with insulation and put a siding over it in attempt to not lose too space.

Also looking for ideas on floor footing and drainage. For sanitary purposes I’m thinking about doing concrete floors with crushed limestone on top for cushion, and mats on top of that. I cannot do just limestone on top of the pre-existing dirt as my property apparently has clostridium in the dirt, and it is believed that the spores will percolate up through any other top dirt/organic material/whatnot, and that concrete is the only safe way to go. So thoughts on drainage/cushion between the concrete and mats/etc would be appreciated.

Pros? Cons? Lessons learned?
Thank you in advance.

What about composite floor boards for outside decking? I don’t know how they hold up for chewing, or shattering, but some that I have seen look reaaaalllly heavy duty - they are made to withstand years of weather without treatments.

Let me see if I can find what I am talking about. It would be to construct walls with.

http://www.builddirect.com/Composite-Decking/Antique/ProductDisplay_9642_p1_10100554.aspx

You would have to go and look at something like this at your lumber store. You could then talk to them about chewing, material used.

Look into HDPE sheets. See if you can get some locally; I think shipping would be expensive. This stuff is also known as “puck board” and is used for the sides of hockey arenas. It is tough material! It might be easier to clean than composite boards.

have no clue where you are located but here if it were new construction a permit would be needed --all the standard hoops of burning fire would need to be jumped thought and addressed but a Remodel of an existing building AND maintaining within its foot print does not require a new building permit … and if less than 50% of the structure is remodeled no permit what so ever would be needed

This is what we use in our pig barn on the walls. It is very durable- pigs can destroy anything and have yet to destroy this. It can be pressure washed and disinfected easily. Not cheap, but works well.

http://www.farmerboyag.com/supplies/flat-multi-purpose-panels.asp

Thank you all for the ideas. I had thought about deck/siding material. I just don’t know how well it would hold up. A lot of it is tongue and groove kind of construction, and I guess I’m worried that bacteria could grow in the crevices; I am a little paranoid after this foaling season when both foals became sick and hospitalized, losing one, and spending around $6000 in vet bills, even through my best attempts at sanitizing EVERYTHING. Although the link to the decking looks to be a solid piece.

I am in Wyoming, and was going to ask about building permits as I will need to do so for some run in sheds anyways, but I do believe you are correct about the less than 50% deal.

I like the idea of the pig barn sheeting. Looks the closest to what I am looking for. May not be cheap, but neither is neonatal care for critically ill foals. This won’t be a cheap project, but I think in building within the existing structure I can keep the cost down some rather than building a whole new building.

Thanks again!