Unlimited access >

Renaming My OTTB

Hello all, I am looking for a new name for my recently purchased OTTB gelding. His JC name is Dillman’s Grove and i want something a little more flashy for his name. He is a chestnut gelding with two small socks and and a big white blaze. I would like to keep Grove in his name but don’t like Dillman…who wants to call their horse Dill, haha!

I thinks its funny and you should call him Pickel. haha.

Besides that, I was going to name my guy Code Red, also a chestnut, but ended up keeping his JC name. I will let you use it :wink:

Nothing to do with Grove unfortunately

I like the name but I also Like Steve Martin comedy…

In Dillman’s Grove my love did die
and now in ground shall ever lie
None could ever replace her visage
until your face brought thoughts of kissage

:lol:

2 Likes

Kissing Grove?

Glastonbury Grove if you like Arthurian Legend, Glastonberry Grove if you are a Twin Peaks fan.

FFS don’t change his name.

Call him whatever you like at home but he’s already got a name which anyone can look up to see his pedigree or find horses related to him.

7 Likes

Good idea but one can input the horse with name and pedigree on at least one of the pedigree websites. So then he can be found if someone is interested in looking him up by his new name.

I need to recall which one because my OTTB is renamed, from Glenn’s Hope to Sapito, the latter being his nickname at the track. In Spanish that can translate to a little frog. Funny story: when I found him, they called him Zapito, which means milk jug in Spanish. That was not that appealing.

And in my barn, calling a horse “Dill” would inevitably turn into adding “-do.” Uh oh.

++JER

:slight_smile:

Don’t change his name. Call him Dillon. And if he’s being mischievious: Dill Pickle. :winkgrin:

1 Like

If he’s the strong, silent type, you could call him “Marshal Dillon”.

1 Like

I like his name,plus what JER said.

I like his name and I would probably nickname him Dilly. Or Grover. Or Man. Sorry! Not the flashy names you were looking for! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like his name too. It’s a normal classy name. I’m generally opposed to name changes unless it’s offensive or awful (i.e misspelled words, runons, terrible puns, etc.)

1 Like

If I like a horse, I do like to be able to look up his pedigree from his published name. I also think it is a nod to the breeder who named him…they deserve that for their stock.

Most horses have a barn name + their registered name.

1 Like

That’s not the worst JC name I’ve heard of, but I’d probably change it too. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with showing a horse under a different name than what their JC name is. Keeping it when you don’t like it just because other people might want to look up his pedigree is pure ridiculousness. It’s your horse, show him under a name you like!

1 Like

Of course you don’t HAVE to keep his name, but I do think it is a nice thing to do. Especially in this case where there is nothing wrong with his name. I had an OTTB named Aln’lisaontour–now THAT was a name to not keep. I like FCF’s suggestion of Dillon for a barn name.

I’m not an eventer but do enjoy following the sport and reading this forum. I’ve seen a lot of posts about renaming, and being able to look up a horse’s record. Their record is for recognized events/shows? The horse needs a USEF number/registration to be in a recognized event? Is it possible when registering the horse with USEF to have a show name while still recording it’s original JC or registered name?

I’m most familiar with looking up Standardbred pedigrees. Most of the time Standies are named before they sell as yearlings so if there is a name change before they race it will show up when you look up their pedigree. Just wondered if there was an option to do something similar with eventers.