Unlimited access >

Repeat colic for 10 months, every test you could imagine, finally SOLVED

Raising stomach pH has its place in treating some gastric ulcers. I DO think it’s become wayyyyyyyy too commonplace to just grab some to do a full treatment without any real idea that not only that there ARE ulcers, but that they are squamous (non-glandular) ulcers. Even if there are ulcers, if they’re glandular or pyloric, then you’re pretty much wasting your money on omperazole, and could just be causing problems without solving any

I don’t have a problem with 5-7 days of (es)omeprazole as a way to do a check into whether it can help, and go from there.

I DO have a problem with people wanting to continuously use things like Outlast 3-4 times a day, to keep pH higher, for extended periods of time, “just in case”. Stomachs are pH 1.5-4 or so for a good reason, a proper start to digesting food, but ALSO, to keep in check the bacteria that horses are always eating.

8 Likes

I was wondering myself about the chicken/egg sequence here–I’m suspicious of using a proton pump inhibitor long-term partly because of the effect on pH.

8 Likes

Oh, and props to the OP for doggedly pursuing a solution to the ongoing issue.

12 Likes

Wait … what? Outlast has an affect on stomach acid? I didn’t know that.

Yes, that’s its entire purpose, raise stomach acid pH
Outlast Sell Sheet (purinamills.com)

Tribute’s Constant Comfort is similar

3 Likes

No. Metronidazole is active against anaerobic bacteria and neither Streptococci nor Shigella are obligate anaerobes.

2 Likes

So what is believed to have caused the abnormal bacterial overgrowth?

Was the stomach acid tested for the bacteria, as well as a fecal sample? Did the abnormal bacteria show up on a fecal sample?

Thanks for sharing.

Right there it is…it’s not SOP to look at pH or bacteria.

What a story and OMG what you have spent. So glad you’ved got your horse feeling better and what can we all learn from this? If we have a gassy colicky horse that is persistent with that how can we best get those tests done?

Thank you for sharing too.

4 Likes

@starsandsun and can you share a picture of his manure?

3 Likes

What’s crazy to me is that it is SOP to look at direct fecals (fecal bacteria) in the small animal field. That’s why I wanted to confirm whether or not the bacteria was confirmed looking at a gastric sample or a fecal sample.

3 Likes

Ha! Only a horse person would make this request.

My request - How about a picture of the handsome guy himself looking more chipper again. It’s always nice to put a face to these stories.

Bless you for all you did for your boy. I’m so happy you found the answer and that he is on the road to recovery. :kissing_heart:

12 Likes

Hi - bacteria confirmed in samples from stomach fluid … I have submitted many, many manure samples but no results back yet.

3 Likes

Awww thanks for asking! He is gorgeous, sweet and kind … has never had a bolt, buck or spook, and I (a mostly terrified amateur) can ride by myself and be safe with herds of deer racing by the outdoor. He is a hugger and on top of all that, very well bred and a super fancy Ferrari of a horse. I’ve never felt a horse move the way he does when he’s healthy … a true rockstar and I know how lucky I am to have him in my life.

35 Likes

I know you won’t be surprised - but I probably have 200 pix of manure on my phone. HAHA! This was from the big problem phase - you will

notice how weird and puffy it looks.

5 Likes

could you share your story too? I’ll be sharing mine and still in the middle of figuring out what’s up.

1 Like

Yes, only a horse person would appreciate an up-close shot that like. I do see the strange puffiness. Your guy is stunning and won the lottery for you as a Mom.

Can you share with us how his microbiome was tested? I see the Univ of Delaware has testing and Equibiome in the UK and am about to order but was curious what yours was before I got that in motion.

My guy is more gassy than normal and bucks every 20 or so strides if he’s out gallopping. Doesn’t want to be touched on his under belly. Colicky on and off. Just can’t get it figured out.

11 Likes

He is gorgeous!!!

I do not know the name of the lab where the sample went, but I can check. The testing was done on stomach fluid, pulled at the time of gastroscopy. While I have submitted dozens of manure samples all over the place, no results have come back. I do know that the UGA study is looking at DNA in manure, but not sure what that might show. So, he was diagnosed through stomach fluid - not manure.

If you have the resources, you might look to get an ultrasound of his intestinal tract - as much as they can see anyhow. There was a lot of visible thickening which went away after treatment. We also did multiple biopsies early on, which showed eosinophils - on their own not perhaps too concerning, but they become a marker for inflammation when your horse has chronic colic. Vets were not really focused on the histopathology until new vet looked at them as an important part of the puzzle.

One thing I started him on (and have taken him off in the last month) is extra strength GasX capsules - they have nothing in them but simethicone, and have been deemed safe by all my vets, although they won’t comment on whether they think it works. For my 1150 lb horse, I was giving 12 am and pm. I dialed that back over time, but I kept him on that for probably a month.

Curiously, when he was so ill my horse also looked like sh*t with a rough nonshiny coat - he just really wasn’t looking like a 9 year old horse (coming 10) who was thriving. That all changed once gut bacteria was better under control. He’s super shiny now. Even his eye looked just ‘resigned’ and flat.

One thing that only became apparent YEARS later is that he was really holding himself over his back - probably to keep his guts from moving. That turned into its own rabbit hole. He does get regular massage, and I have this thing from Equilibrium Therapy for on the spot massage - he does love that. But, to your point, while he’s been suffering, he has felt awful and the trot and canter departs were all a bit of WHOA NELLY - terrifying leaps on a rock hard back with the head up in the air. So, so so much better now - everything is soft and light.

I just read again, and then re-read your post … it just sounds to me like he’s got gut tissue pain. Inflammation will cause all kinds of unhappy behaviors, and he just really sounds like it hurts. If you can’t get a vet to ultrasound (one who can read/see inflammation), and if you want to take any chance, I would see if you could put him on a course of steroids to bring inflammation (if it’s there) under control. I would not want you to go through what I did, or have to spend what I did, and that was what really helped us turn the corner and improve his comfort. But, I know it comes with risks and not sure what your vets might say.

6 Likes

His beautiful head! If you’re curious, he’s out of a Fidertanz mare, by a Rohdiamant stallion.

20 Likes

I think it’s possible someday people will come across your post and you’re in the lead in a paradigm shift in helping horses. I woke up in the middle of the night last night and kept thinking about your horse, my horse and all the horses out there suffering and how someday I’d bet anything gut bacteria analysis will be commonplace. And like humans, you are NOT supposed to take omeprazole on an ongoing basis as it screws up your body. And then horses are even MORE sensitive right? Wow.

25 years ago I remember people online scoffing at Linsey McLean and her talk of leaky gut. Now, of course it’s mainstream and medical community acknowledged. How many horses suffer gut pain? It hurts to even imagine the numbers. You can see the poor postures, the grumpy attitudes, the inability to be athletic, supple and willing.

Even though my guy has completely stopped the explosive bucking fits he STILL bucks and bucks while out cantering and galloping in the field. Abnormally. If he’s cantering he bucks every 20 strides.

I will pursue this and report back. And your guy is so stunning. How lucky you to have such a well bred, willing, Ferrari as you say. There is NO greater joy than riding a horse like that. I described my old guy who died this summer with those same exact words. He was a Ferrari.

8 Likes

The bacterial etiology of human gastric ulcers wasn’t identified until when; the 1970’s-80’s? And there talk of biofilms and etc. I keep asking my vet if there’s a bacterial connection to equine ulcers, and I’m always told no. But I think bacteria have a much bigger role in pathology AND in health then we realize.

11 Likes