Unlimited access >

Repurposing Old Grazing Muzzles? Ideas?

We have many old, worn grazing muzzles where the grazing hole has been worn through so the muzzle no longer really works to slow grazing. Does anyone have any ideas for how to repurpose worn grazing muzzles for spare parts or other? It seems like a lot of hardware to send to the landfill. TIA!

My mini is the John Dillinger of muzzles, widening the slot in his muzzle so it restricts maybe 1/2 what it did when new :unamused:
My thought is to use Gorilla tape to make it smaller again.
Double-layered, inside & out.
I’ll let you know how that works :smirk:

Otherwise:
Hanging planter? :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I use Gorilla tape to make the hole smaller on my grazing muzzles and have been doing this for years. I found out the tape on the inside will come up quickly (as in won’t last more than a few hours) from the horse’s teeth on it. Tape on the outside lasts a couple of days, longer if the grass is dry.

I have an unused hoof pad that works great also. I cut a hole in the middle, filed the edges smooth and then cut the pad to fit in the muzzle. It isn’t attached but fits perfectly and doesn’t move around.

2 Likes

They sell replacement discs that you can pop in the bottom of an old muzzle: https://www.bigdweb.com/product/replacement+rubber+disc+for+muzzles.do

Or if you have a local tack shop that does leather repair, they can make a leather disc and sew it down to your existing muzzle. Wish I had a good photo, but imagine the disc I linked to, only made of leather, and plopped down into the bottom of an old muzzle/secured with stitching.

3 Likes

For re-purposing- Everytime I look at the 2 brand new unused muzzles in my tack room I picture hanging them in a tree and I’ll guarantee some bird will make a nest in them.
I’ve had birds nest in so many planted flowerpots that a good strong muzzle should be valuable to them.
That’s what i’ll probably do with mine.

3 Likes

These are all great ideas - thanks!! I will definitely buy some of those replacement disks - I didn’t know they made them. That is much cheaper than replacing the whole muzzle like I’ve been doing. I can also see birds enjoying the ones that are beyond repair or getting creative and using as a hanging planter. :smiley:

1 Like

I had no idea they made these replacement holes. SO appreciate this thread!!

1 Like

Just to be clear, those discs are for the grazing/cribbing muzzle:

So plopping them down without stitching may not work depending on your style of muzzle. The Grazing/Cribbing muzzle has little slots in the metal to secure the tabs of the disc.

I only say this so no one gets the idea they are one size fits all or anything. They are a replace part for a specific muzzle but definitely are worth giving a try in different muzzles.

2 Likes

For my mini, my farrier gives me old shoe pads that I cut a small hole in and zip tie it to the muzzle to keep using it after the main hole has been worn down.

2 Likes

I love the idea of a birds nest!

I have tossed my share of the basket style muzzles, but I cut off all the buckles and O rings from the halter part. With buckles, O rings, and bailing twine, you can do a lot! :laughing: I’m trying to remember what I’ve used them for, it’s been several years. But they don’t take up much space at all, and it’s just nicer to have them.

FWIW, I was tossing 3-4 muzzles every 1 to 1 1/2 seasons for this reason - hole would be so bit, things just broken. Then 5 Summers ago I switched to Greenguard, with only 1 that will need to be replaced next year.

1 Like

:+1: Thanks for that tip.
I’ll be buying a couple of those for sure :sunglasses:

Maybe try heavy-duty velcro strips to hold the replacement disc to the bottom of the muzzle. Even though they come with a super strong adhesive backing, probably would be a good idea to add some construction adhesive too, given that it’ll have to survive repeated dunkings in the water trough.

1 Like

Those disks need to be wired down. Super easy for a horse to pull them up or grass/weeds poking from the bottom and removing it.

1 Like

When I had a horse needing a grazing muzzle, I made replacement disks cut from the lids of supplement buckets. I would cut tabs to fit in the spaces between the webbing and use the disk inside the muzzle. IIRC, I’d get at least a month’s use out of each disk.

1 Like

I gorilla glued a disc down in one and it lasted all summer. He just got released from his muzzle last week though. He just ate thru the bigger hole mid Sept till then. The price was worth it lasting one season n I will buy another disc next yr!

1 Like