Unlimited access >

Reputable Breeders versus Rescue

He may be the sweetest dog ever, teach your children how to read, and do your taxes for you every year, but…

That Weimdoodle is the dog in other dogs’ nightmares.

13 Likes

That is “my” breed as well!
Sheilah

1 Like

If I wanted a breed of dog that was ever featured in any Disney movie, live or animated, I would be wary going in. Puppy mills and backyard breeders love Disney dogs.

1 Like

Not an age cutoff, just common sense. We (the rescue I volunteer with) get people in their 70’s and 80’s applying to adopt puppies and, in most cases, we’ll select another applicant. We get SO MANY applications on puppies that we’re able to choose the best family for them. I don’t think we’re unique in that. Rescue puppies are popular these days.

Now, if we’re talking about adult or senior dogs, that’s totally different. Our rescue fully encourages senior humans to adopt adult/senior dogs. But you know how it is…everyone wants a puppy…

I know what you mean about the general population, but I’d way rather have an adolescent IF I could know they were raised well, both health-wise and behavior-wise. I find puppy-raising really challenging and it’s a LOT of effort in some ways. Of course, if I were able to stay at home, it would be easier.
That’s the rub though with dogs of unknown origins, you don’t know what happened to them before they showed up in the rescue/shelter.

1 Like

She really doesn’t want a puppy. I think the dogs were 2-3 years old.

In my recent puppy search I was floored by the number of crosses advertised. This was one of them. While the puppies were cute what is the purpose of crossing those 2 breeds? Many of the other crossings made no sense to me at all.

1 Like

I’ve got to think that the parents weren’t the best representations of their respective breeds. Nice pet-quality dogs, perhaps, but not what careful Husky/Pomeranian breeders would select for their own breeding programs.

2 Likes

I have a lot of issues with the dog market and some of them are contradictory: breeders wanting to continue to exert control over their puppies after selling them for $$ (so is it really just a lease?), MLM dog food schemes some breeders blackmail buyers with, breeders telling you which puppy you get instead of allowing choice, rescues that are way too picky on approvals and have ridiculous requirements, rescues immediately scooping up all the adoptable dogs from shelters so the average family is only left with pit bulls to choose from (I think there should be a 7 day period for the shelters to adopt directly first), rescues that are not really rescues but puppy mills in disguise, “designer” breeds, anything-doodle, and most of all, the BYB and puppy mills who fill the void that’s left by expensive breeders and overly picky rescues.

Like others have said, most people just want a family pet and don’t care if it’s registered, health tested, or don’t want to pay much for it. They just want a dog around the house and maybe to do something fun with. No one would be as judgemental if I bought my kid a $500 mixed-breed craigslist pony to have around the yard and go on some trail rides with. No one would expect that I should buy a $25,000 Welsh show pony instead. If my kid started showing and that $500 pony started winning, there’d be congratulatory articles written about it. I think the whole pet dog trade is broken in many ways. Where is the ethical and affordable option for the family who just wants to have a pet?

In 2020/21 I, and two of my neighbors, all got puppies. We are all experienced, long-time dog owners and all have acreage on a secluded street. I got mine from a rescue, easily approved with my fenced backyard and adult child (I had issues with adoption when my child was younger but lived with dogs his whole life, which is another pet peeve). She’ll be 2 in April, has no health issues so far, and looks like she’s going to kick some ass if I ever enter her in an agility competition. My two neighbors have 20 and 40 acres, no children at home, but neither has a fenced in yard so neither can be approved by most rescues. They both ended up with BYB dogs from PA. One is a mutt, supposedly a lab x ACD, but I have my doubts about the amount of lab or if those are the only two breeds. She paid a ridiculous amount, IMO, for what should be a rescue mutt ($1100). She picked the puppy up at the farm the family raised them on, and there were other puppies and litters there, too. Her dog is a nice, healthy pet, she’s happy, but she spent too much and contributed to the overall problem of BYBs. My other neighbor got a purebred rottweiler from a small time breeder. I don’t know the details of that one, but she’s not a shining example of the breed (which is fine since she’s only going to be a farm pet). She’s also had a few worries about joint problems, which so far seem to be nothing.
Here’s mine, a random mix of 5 breeds from Mississippi abandoned with the mother and littermates:

15 Likes

Some day I want a Beagle. I will be looking to some of the rescues that specialize in placing Beagles used for research, but I will be the first to admit I know little about these groups.

It seems I’ve heard of one that is a good reputable placement service for these dogs, with the only catch being that you will not be able to find out what experiments the dog was used for.

1 Like

Oh cute pup!! What are the 5 breeds? Which DNA company?
I’d guess German Shepherd and some Hound?

You are correct for 65% of her DNA according to Embark (GSD, Bluetick coonhound, bloodhound). The remaining two breeds are lab and pit bull, plus about 8% unresolved “supermutt”. She only shows GSD and hound traits both in looks and personality. Embark found three of her litter mates as well.

1 Like

She should be a good all around dog. Smart, determined, brave…???
How neat that they found 3 siblings. I just had a notice today that my dog has a 42% relative in Ky.
That’s the closest one yet- 1/2 sibling.
Have fun with your pup. And train her well, those GSD types have unlimited ability so never underestimate what she can learn.

Well, no, except that the chances you could actually find a $500 pony that was safe for a child and not a health train wreck is pretty slim. It is very easy to imagine the COTH response if someone posted:

“Hi there, I am having trouble with my pony and I don’t know why. We were only looking for a trail pony, nothing fancy, and we found one on Craigslist. My son tried him on a trail ride at the farm, and he was great that day and rode nicely with the whole group, but now he’s like a different pony! He runs when you try to catch him, and he bucks when you try to saddle him. My son has been thrown 5 times already and now he’s scared of him. What should we do? We feel like the seller scammed us.”

I get that people want a pet and don’t want to spend a fortune. Unfortunately, like all things - you sometimes get what you pay for.

And sometimes not - especially when a BYB sells a purebred “Golden Retriever” or “Brittany” or something that should have a particular temperament, etc. and it doesn’t.

8 Likes

Oh, I’m with you! I am on the other end of the spectrum and only adopt seniors! Senior dogs are my jam.

3 Likes

Deleting because y’all beat me to it :slight_smile:

I guessed German Shepherd / Redbone or Walker Coonhound, so I wasn’t far off. :slight_smile:

Two words: John Wick. Every bad boy & his brother has been breeding mals since John Wick came out!

Has the Malinois replaced the “Rockweiler” as the criminal’s dog of choice now?

I knew someone in the 90s who bred Rotties for show and Schutzhund. Anyone calling to inquire about a “Rockweiler” got hung up on.

By “bred”, I mean she was active in the Rottweiler community. In the 6-7 years I knew her, I think she bred two litters, and every pup that left the birth canal had an owner waiting for it.

My first dog I owned by myself (as opposed to a family pet) was a Yorkie. He was a wonderful little dog, tons of personality. He had originally belonged to the daughter of a woman my mom knew. She was remarrying her ex-husband and he and Andrew, the dog, could not coexist peacefully under the same roof. Andrew was a jealous little turd and would seek and destroy Ted’s (the husband’s) things, or pee on them.
Anyway, she had originally paid just shy of $2k for this Yorkie. Who was about 10" tall, weighed 9 lbs., and was a “rare golden Yorkie”, meaning he was all tan, instead of having the black or silver saddle. To me he was a perfect size (could bathe him in the kitchen sink) but clearly outside the breed standard!

2 Likes

Exactly!!! And then in a short period of time are crying for donations for food and other supplies. There is one shelter here that actually turns down donations of better dog foods over Purina One- I mean if you are pleading for help don’t be picky just mix them together or put the better dog food aside for a dog that could benefit more from it.

3 Likes