Unlimited access >

Reputable Breeders versus Rescue

OMG. Seriously? On purpose? This dog is hideous.

14 Likes

That Weimardoodle looks like some kind of mutant from Chernobyl. I can’t believe someone would deliberately breed something that ugly.

13 Likes

Yeah, I thought Cockapoos and Peekapoos would be as far as it went, but then the golden doodle craze hit and now people think they will get rich breeding poodle-doodles of all sorts.

Not poodle crosses, but I’ve seen a fair number of Pug/Boston Terrier crosses lately. I’m scratching my head over that one, too. And I saw a Pom/Husky mix at the dog park last week that the owner said was from a deliberate breeding. She was actually pretty cute - Pom size and type, but Husky colored with blue eyes. I wouldn’t be surprised if that turns out to be the next big thing.

3 Likes

They’ve been popular in my area for quite awhile now. “Pomsky”. No idea why in the world anyone thought that would be a combo worth repeating on purpose. Quite a few Klee-Kai out there too, so apparently there is a demand for miniaturized huskies.

2 Likes

Oh, don’t get me started on pomskies. That is not a breeding that should ever happen and a non-trivial number of those “breeders” are using pictures of purebred swedish vallhunds as representations of what they say their mutts will look like as adults. Drives me INSANE!

You want that look, go get a swedish vallhund! Don’t cross a toy dog with a weak esophagus with something bred to pull forever and a day.

6 Likes

Apologies if this has been mentioned but a good breeder will (should) also act as a rescue, rather than allowing one of their dogs to end up in a shelter.

I wanted a particular breed, and more importantly, not a puppy, so I reached out to my local Irish Setter club, hoping to find an older dog needing a home. Word traveled fast.

Both of my dogs came from a wonderful breeder after being returned as adult dogs. I adopted one at 4 after he had cycled through three other families; and the other at 10, after her owners passed away.

17 Likes

You guys calling dogs ugly are being rather mean. I disagree. Still, it doesn’t mean they should’ve been deliberately bred.

You’d probably think my mixed breed rescues are hideous.

3 Likes

The Great Pyrenees breeder I mentioned has her puppies microchipped with her name as the contact so she’d be the first to know if one of her dogs was found.

A friend of mine bought a silver Lab from a “breeder”. Really? It looked just like a Weim to me. And I know it wasn’t a cheap dog either.

I also don’t understand all these poodle mixes. Poodles are perfect as they are and are such well-rounded dogs and come in so many sizes that they don’t need to be mixed with other breeds. And you really can’t guarantee what kind of coat the mix will have. From what I understand, some Poodle coats are harder to maintain than others due to the texture.

Honestly if a dog is loved and well taken care of, I don’t care where or how the owner got it.

10 Likes

All dogs are “cute” in their own way, even (especially?) the mixed breeds.

But taking two beautiful breeds and combining them to see what would happen is ridiculous. And that dog is not striking, or balanced, or athletic looking - even if its parents were. It seems to have taken certain qualities of both breeds but the combination is worse.

For what it’s worth, all Weimdoodles don’t look like that so it’s hard to know if that was the intended outcome or not. And, who knows what the parents of that dog looked like anyway. They might have been horrible specimens, not suited for breeding at all.

8 Likes

Ugly or pretty are opinions - there are MANY purebred dogs (both breeds and individuals) that I do not like the look of. It’s just personal taste. The dogs’ feelings are not be hurt by my opinions in the slightest.

I well and truly believe that every dog should be given the chance to have a great home no matter who bred them. And yes, I’ve been guilty of baby talking my friend’s bully mix, going “aren’t you a hideous gremlin” while smooching her. Many people LOVE the bully look. I like their personalities but their looks are not my thing. The animals don’t care if we think they’re ugly, they only care that we treat them kindly and that should happen no matter what they look like.

But deliberately mixing poodles on everything just to be able to sell the latest 'doodle cross - argh! That is NOT breeding with a purpose, that’s breeding for ego and money. And yes, in my opinion, many of them are ugly looking. Putting curly hair on a structural hodge-podge does not a cute dog make.

7 Likes

around here, the animal shelter charges between $100-150 for mostly pit bulls. If it is small and looks like a purebred something or other-price goes up. They have to pay for the beautiful new building they built a few years ago.

2 Likes

THIS is the reason people go to BYBs. And I am NOT defending BYB, but most people just want a dog. They may not know as much as you breeders do, but I dare say most people do not want to pay $3k for a pet.

2 Likes

My mom ran into an interesting dilemma. She contacted a few rescues (she is getting a guilt trip from her neighbors about finding a purebred dog) and several told her she was too old to adopt. She’s in her early 70s, she’s active, owns her own home with her husband (my stepdad). Some of these rescues know her and she adopted a dog from two of them in the past. They also know she is an amazing dog trainer. She can teach dogs to be service animals. Her dogs have always done really neat things, like pick up what she drops and open doors. Is it common for rescues to have an age cutoff? What about breeders?

1 Like

I didn’t see any overt age discrimination; we’re both retired and in our 60s but active. I think that some rescues, the good ones, try to match make considering expected energy level of the dog so I did see things about ideal homes being active ones. There are also words about not being a good match for households with small children etc, so it’s on both ends of the age spectrum.

1 Like

the doodle factor probably refers to shedding. Don’t we all want less shedding?

But there is no guarantee that you end up with a non-shedding dog just because you added a poodle to the mix.

8 Likes

LOL, it was a new one on me. I have to admit though that I haven’t kept up with the new fascination with “designer dogs.” I am a breed purist at heart, and when searching for my dog, was determined to stay away from not only “crosses” but also super popular or trendy breeds. That is partially why I decided on a Welsh Terrier - it fit our lifestyle and it’s not something you see everyday.

2 Likes

We ran into it when searching for our dog. We were in our mid-to-late 60’s, which a breed rescue seemed to think was too old. It was no problem though for the breeder I ended up getting my dog from, nor for the breeder that pointed me to him. Funny thing is that after we had had our girl for about 6 mos, the same breed rescue contacted me to see if I was interested in one that needed to be rehomed due to a family breakup.

3 Likes

Another reason why I got my Welsh Terrier - they have a double coat, and when they shed the undercoat (which is very dense and wooly), it tends to get trapped beneath the outer coat. So very little is shed “out” where it gets all over your floors and furniture. A wire slicker once a week does a pretty good job of cleaning out the dead hair from her coat.

But they are animals. They shed! (So do we!)

Originally it wasn’t the shedding that was being controlled, but the allergic reaction to shedding - that’s why Labradoodles were billed as “hypoallergenic.” But that’s not really true. For one, there is no guarantee that they won’t shed (and definitely not in the F1 generation). And secondly, dander isn’t only found on their skin but in their saliva, urine and sweat.

So even if a person gets a poodle or poodle x, they may still have allergy issues.

9 Likes