Unlimited access >

Rescue dog dilemma (a philosophical question)

UPDATE: *You guys are the best! Thanks for tossing around ideas with me. Someone suggested I foster a senior black dog from the shelter, so that’s what I did!

We recently lost one of our beloved pack members to cancer. Now I can’t help but feel that there is “room at the inn.” I really want to do the most possible good…but there is SO MUCH need. How do I choose? They all need help! Do I take a scared dog from the shelter? Adopt a senior or special needs dog? Hospice foster? I know this is kind of a philosophical question, but how can I maximize positive impact here?

2 Likes

look a few of them over and see if one strikes your heart.

2 Likes

The choices are overwhelming, but remember whatever dog you choose, for them it is everything :wink:

Go visit some centres, and your dog will choose you, this is how it should happen.

17 Likes

If you have other dogs already in the house remember that a scared dog might have some issues that might make problems with your existing dogs.
Choose something that will work with the pets you already have.

15 Likes

All the dogs you are considering will be extra work, perhaps forever. My advice would be to take a dog whose issues seem manageable to you or that you’ve had success with in the past. I know for myself there are issues with horses that I can’t usefully address, and other issues that I can work through that might defeat other people.

Also consider cost especially for ongoing medical needs, surgery, meds. Are you ok with taking on an aged or terminally ill dog and going through another death soon? Also how will care for this dog take away from care and time with the other dogs?

9 Likes

I started fostering. It’s nice to have a chance to learn the dogs issues before fully committing plus really neat to prepare them for their next homes.

So if you haven’t considered fostering for a bit, you might add it to the options.

10 Likes

Even most municipal animal shelters will allow you to foster before adopting. In general, senior dogs at kill shelters are at the most risk. I’ve adopted four seniors so far, and I think I’ll always go this route in the future.

And as @KBC said, for that one dog you choose, it’s a miracle, so you can’t really go wrong!

8 Likes

I work for an animal shelter and I recently lost my 17yr old dog. Ever since he entered his senior years I’ve developed a serious soft spot for the senior dogs who get dumped here. If I do get a new acquisition it will most likely be a hospice/fospice type situation no old dog deserves to spend its last days in a shelter.

12 Likes

Is there a breed you like or already have? Most breeds have a rescue/rehome arm, and often you can get info about the dog from breeders or previous owners. It could be a good option if you want a little bit of the backstory but still want to help a dog find a soft landing.

1 Like

What KBC said :slight_smile:!

1 Like

Been in this situation an awful lot and totally understand the overwhelm of wanting to help them all!
As others have said who fits best with your current dog/s / lifestyle would be my first consideration, followed by greatest need.
I did the greatest need first once and although we made it work with very, very careful introductions the little bitch we took on was very traumatised and tricky to work around.
She was a funny, quirky little thing - None of my other dogs ‘loved’ her and a couple completely changed personality (for the better) when we eventually lost her to a splenic tumour.

1 Like

Good food for thought. I shouldn’t get carried away without considering who will “fit” into the family.

3 Likes

Realistically, the way to maximize positive impact might be to donate to a shelter or volunteer (foster, transport, serve on the board, etc.)

So, if you really want another pet, I would try not to consider it the way to maximize the impact. It will be impactful enough to the dog as an individual.

If you have the capacity to do so, consider taking a special needs or senior rescue. They tend to be more difficult to place. But, ONLY if you have the capacity to do so.

3 Likes

I just adopted a “greatest needs” type dog (a dog originally from Mexico, whose owner starved her, beat her, and broke her leg in 3 places so it had to be amputated. Plus, she’s 9). I made sure she got along with dogs and cats, which she does. She’s super sweet! In just 2 months she’s fit right in and stolen all our hearts. The downside? Despite the rescue telling me she was heartworm negative, she has an advanced case. I am looking at $1500 to treat, and a tough few months of care. The worst is that now I am worried for her. But clearly I was the right person for her (and vice versa!).

Tl/dr: be very careful with neglected Southern dogs and heartworm.

10 Likes

20 Likes

Try the website getyourpet.com. I found my girl there, and it is fantastic. People who need to re-home their pets put them on there, and can tell you all about the pet BEFORE it winds up in a rescue. My girl was just too much for that home, but perfect as Branny’s adopted sister. There is a count down on the pages, as I remember, to let you know how long that individual has to find their pet a home. A truly proactive approach! And no, I do not have anything to do with the site, or whoever owns it.

OP your username is “Dawg Lady” so that might be the answer to a lot of questions right there … :grin:

Three things I would suggest considering …

• Do you travel? Often? Do your current dogs go with you? What if new dog isn’t copacetic with your travel routine for your dogs?

• As others have said, the best chance of success is to put the needs of your existing family and dog-family first. Of course there’s an adjustment period, that’s fair. But whatever you bring in needs to not make a current family member miserable. Not just temperament, but size, energy level, sociability with other dogs (it may improve but not completely change), etc.

• Be ready to adapt to the dog, rather than the dog adapting to you. Should it turn out that way. This is one of the biggest challenges with rescue animals. It’s that box of unknown chocolates, you do all of the screening you can manage but you still don’t know what you will get. Shelter life does not set up dogs to show their true selves. And the animal may have a problematic background that limits their ability to adjust.

So in the end, it may be your crew re-working their lives around a new rescue dog, rather than the other way around. Or maybe the dog just fits right in as if they have always lived there. It’s important to a successful adoption to be ready for both outcomes.

All that said, last year my dear friend-family decided to add another shelter dog to the family, to the great concern of their 7 year old shelter dog of many years, who is one of the best dogs ever. The new 6 month old pup was a little firework who loved everything about her new home. She was working a few human nerves, though. It took a huge amount of time and attention to marshal her great enthusiasm for life. They did get training help and counsel. Now she and the older dog are a BFF team, she behaves well, travels well, and she’s another wonderful dog pet. Thanks to the family’s adaptable whatever-is-necessary approach to raise her well and get her settled in.

I think this is the most important thing. Being fair to your current crew, who do not deserve to suddenly have a bully or a lunatic suddenly forced into their lives, one they can’t escape.

But hopefully the new dog is a new friend who just fits right in. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

When I work in vet clinical, I loved dealing with cats in their senior years. Check in with your local shelter for seniors, perhaps a dog who lost it senior owner and the family cannot be bothered. But I do agree, if it is a dog with psychological/ social issues, consider the impact of the rest of the pack

I think if you’re looking for ‘maximum impact,’ fostering is the way to go.

You could foster dogs for overfull shelters, or do hospice for senior dogs in the last months. Or pregnant dogs/dogs with nursing pups that need a soft landing for a few weeks before being adoptable.

4 Likes

I have a question about fostering. I am open to fostering a dog, but how can I tell if it is good with cats. In the past, I had a dog that killed two cats and I cannot go through that again. I would like to help but…