Unlimited access >

Rescue Fees

I have a friend who loves dobermans. Has a registered puppy but is now looking to adopt from a rescue. They are asking $500 for a unregistered neutered female that she would be rescuing. Is that normal? Or is she getting scammed? What is the normal fee for rescues, I always thought they ran around 150 - 200. Please let me know. Thanks!

I paid $300 for my most recent rescue and I am certain that did not cover her medical expenses they incurred to treat her broken leg/spaying prior to adopting her out. I don’t think most of these organizations are making money doing what they do… So, if they seem legit, and seem to do a good job with what they are doing I think its a fair price to pay.

That was what I was looking for. We weren’t sure if it was common to pay that much. Thanks!

I know that prices vary from breed to breed but just for comparison…

My last two dogs came from a breeder. Both parents are champions, sire is a top producer. Parents and grandparents had all their genetic testing done (and I saw the certificates). I got to meet the parents of the litter, the grandparents and several other relatives. I also saw the entire litter several times as they grew up and had input into which puppy would be mine. I got a healthy, well-socialized puppy that didn’t come with any previous baggage from earlier experiences. And I paid $800.00.

I would have to be utterly in love with the dog to pay $500. to a rescue.

You can search of pet finder to find the range of prices for rescues. I think $150-200 is on the low end and $500 is high, but sometimes the nice young dogs pay the way for the older somewhat less appealing dogs.

I know someone who adopted a chi-something, and had to give the rescue- which was bonafide- $500 cash! These things aren’t even a breed.

Now, to be fair, I understand that rescues get animals who are not easily adoptable, and have to put $$ into them, in keeping them for extended periods, Vet care, etc. But, in looking around for one of my preferred breed, I can buy a puppy for about what a rescue would cost me, and that is just a tough dynamic to deal with.

All of my dogs, save one, have been rescues. But some of these fees are making it harder to people to help those in need.

Possibly even a little low for a young adult from breed specific rescue. Southern shelter puppies go for $550 to $650 in my area

[QUOTE=frisky;8703619]
You can search of pet finder to find the range of prices for rescues. I think $150-200 is on the low end and $500 is high, but sometimes the nice young dogs pay the way for the older somewhat less appealing dogs.[/QUOTE]

This. I don’t find $500 shocking. High but not shocking if this is a nice dog that will subsidize other less adoptable/expensive to care for ones.

I’ve paid $400 for a single dog, and $600 for a pair they didn’t want to separate. This included any necessary vet work, vaccines, chip and collar/leash.

The rescue we have gone through spends 100K on vet bills alone, so I know they are not making money. They are however a registered charity, with a board, and they host a lot of other fundraising activities so I feel confident in their operation and the funds they request for adoption.

I would say it comes down to the reputation of the organization. That could be too much or just right depending on how they run things.

I paid 600 for a high demand breed puppy from a rescue. The way they explained it was those funds helped out all the other dogs that were much harder to adopt out. It was still 1/4 of what I would have paid at a breeder so worth it to me.

More to the point, $500.00 is not a whole lot of money for a wonderful young purebred dog that would be perfect in the adopter’s family. If it comes with baggage, then one has to think again. I don’t think anybody is getting rich operating a shelter (?) so they have to price accordingly.

Over time $500.00 melts away and you are left with nothing but joy with the RIGHT dog.

[QUOTE=Marshfield;8703661]
Possibly even a little low for a young adult from breed specific rescue. Southern shelter puppies go for $550 to $650 in my area[/QUOTE]

WOW! I paid $150 for my shelter puppy in Florida. He had been brought in from South Carolina, treated for skin crud, vaccinated, neutered, tested for heart worm’s and started on preventative. I guess I got a good deal

[QUOTE=Pep ‘n’ Ann;8703711]
WOW! I paid $150 for my shelter puppy in Florida. He had been brought in from South Carolina, treated for skin crud, vaccinated, neutered, tested for heart worm’s and started on preventative. I guess I got a good deal[/QUOTE]

It really depends so much on the demand in the area. Here in NJ pitbull mix types are a dime a dozen. Can’t charge much of anything for that. You have a 7lb fluffy creature, and people will be clawing all over you to get it. Purebreds, especially in breed-specific rescue, are very in demand and people will pay.

[QUOTE=vxf111;8703717]
It really depends so much on the demand in the area. Here in NJ pitbull mix types are a dime a dozen. Can’t charge much of anything for that. You have a 7lb fluffy creature, and people will be clawing all over you to get it. Purebreds, especially in breed-specific rescue, are very in demand and people will pay.[/QUOTE]

That makes sense. My boy is a hound mix, nothing fancy, but not a pit either. (not that I have anything against pits :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=frisky;8703619]
You can search of pet finder to find the range of prices for rescues. I think $150-200 is on the low end and $500 is high, but sometimes the nice young dogs pay the way for the older somewhat less appealing dogs.[/QUOTE]
I think trolling around Petfinder would show that $500 is closer to higher side of middle ground than at the total top side.

I look at it this way, if you want a specific type of dog you are going to pay for that specific type of dog. If you do not care then take one of the free puppies that are available all over the place.

Our adoption fees are about $300 for the breed specific rescue I work with. It depends a lot on the breed and demand for the dog, but I know at $300 we’re barely breaking even most of the time.

It may depend on region and volume as well. Around here you don’t find any super cheap or free dogs. Shelters are around $250-300 and can be more for puppies.

Most single breed rescues I have seen are around $400+, general rescues are $300 - 400+. Discounts often given if animal has chronic illness or is older.

[QUOTE=Pep ‘n’ Ann;8703723]
That makes sense. My boy is a hound mix, nothing fancy, but not a pit either. (not that I have anything against pits :)[/QUOTE]

Me neither. Just saying they’re plentiful here!

If it has been vetted, gotten a bit of socialization etc, can be worth it. Shelter fees are $30-$75. So people who adopt from a breed rescue are paying a premium, as one does for any purebred dog no matter where it comes from.

PS I paid $50 for my crossbreed rescue who is adorable BUT cost me $1800 in vet bill in first week I had him. Don’t even ask, of course he had untreated conditions so you get what you pay for , sometimes.

[QUOTE=vxf111;8703787]
Me neither. Just saying they’re plentiful here![/QUOTE]

lol, I think they are plentiful everywhere!