Unlimited access >

Rescue horses and Dressage

Has anyone adopted a rescue horse and successfully trained/showed Dressage? I know I’m in “I’m dreaming” mode right now but I’ve been perusing the local rescues and looking at the horses they have on their sites.

One place I went to today was Habitat for Horses and I saw this guy:

Black Sabbath

I haven’t a clue what it is but the instant I saw him I wanted him. Maybe it’s the challenge; maybe it’s something else; maybe I’m just nuts! :stuck_out_tongue:

The pictures and descriptions are the only thing I have to go by at this point but I’d love your opinions on him as a project/prospect.

Did you read this part ?

"He is very skittish of humans and if too confined can become very unpredictable. Due to his distrust of humans, Black Sabbath remains untrained … a true wild mustang.

Needs Very Experienced Trainer"

I guess how dangerous he was would depend on how old he was, and how long he was a stallion.

[QUOTE=bafegles;7672577]
Has anyone adopted a rescue horse and successfully trained/showed Dressage? I know I’m in “I’m dreaming” mode right now but I’ve been perusing the local rescues and looking at the horses they have on their sites.

One place I went to today was Habitat for Horses and I saw this guy:

Black Sabbath

I haven’t a clue what it is but the instant I saw him I wanted him. Maybe it’s the challenge; maybe it’s something else; maybe I’m just nuts! :stuck_out_tongue:

The pictures and descriptions are the only thing I have to go by at this point but I’d love your opinions on him as a project/prospect.[/QUOTE]

The ad also says, "Black Sabbath would be a wonderful match for someone who is a very experienced, calm trainer. "

I have a feeling that you are not a very experienced trainer or you would not be asking this question.

So I think Black Sabbath is a pretty, coarsely-built, sturdy, and unrefined-looking horse with a romantic name. And I think you’re nuts.

How old is this guy?
I think a very patient, calm, quiet person can accomplish wonders with these untrained, unhandled horses. It takes time and a slow, easy hand to gain their trust. Plus lots of experience working with and reading an unhandled horse.
Look up the youtube videos of the Mustang Challenge where people have like 90 days to work with a mustang and they end up with wonderfully, super well-trained horses.
If you have lots of time and the knowledge and skills , he could very well be a great horse.
He has great bone and muscle and a handsome face.
Yes, he would be quite a challenge, but what satisfaction you would have after he’s trained.
Keep us posted on whatever you decide.

I did read that part and am taking it into account. I’d have to see him to get a real feeling for compatibility but I’ve always been the one to gain the trust and get along with horses that most others couldn’t handle. I have no idea why but the idea of working with that doesn’t frighten me. I do know, of course, that it would take a lot of patience, caution, and persistence to work through it. Even then it may not happen but something deep inside me wants to try.

His age and length of time as a stallion also have a lot to add to that. I won’t be stupid or rose-colored-glasses either. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=bafegles;7672612]

I have no idea why but the idea of working with that doesn’t frighten me. [/QUOTE]

That scares me. Having some experience working with an occasional challenging horse is very very different from having the experience to take on this horse. If no part of you is stepping back and asking the following questions then I think you may be making a very dangerous decision. Have you considered “Is this safe? Do I have the experience? If things go wrong, do I have access to someone who I know can handle this horse? Can this horse be safely confined in the average boarding situation? What happens if this horse is injured and requires stall rest or extensive ongoing care? Do I have a farrier, vet, etc. who are prepared and willing to work on a feral horse?”

[QUOTE=bafegles;7672612]
I did read that part and am taking it into account. I’d have to see him to get a real feeling for compatibility but I’ve always been the one to gain the trust and get along with horses that most others couldn’t handle. I have no idea why but the idea of working with that doesn’t frighten me. I do know, of course, that it would take a lot of patience, caution, and persistence to work through it. Even then it may not happen but something deep inside me wants to try.

His age and length of time as a stallion also have a lot to add to that. I won’t be stupid or rose-colored-glasses either. :)[/QUOTE]

Textbook example of what people are talking about when they say “Black Stallion Syndrome”, ladies and gentlemen.

Apologies, OP, if you’re really an advanced trainer who has rehabbed many an abused mustang, but as others have said, that doesn’t seem to be your background. ANY horse can do dressage, regardless of their background…I can’t imagine what difference being a “rescue” is, as a good horse is a good horse. This one is probably not where I would start, if I wanted to pursue dressage seriously.

Thank you all for your thoughts and advice. I do have access to people who could help if I decide to do this (and it’s a big if with all of the considerations that must be taken into account).

I am also asking the questions presented here as well. I am far from a beginner and I will be realistic in the final decision.

Not to be a Debby Downer here, but please do be careful if you do decide to go here.

Rutgers University ran a young horse program for many years with experienced help - horses were at one point nice PMU horses. As the PMUs went up in value, they moved to another in danger group - Mustangs and again were successful with quite a few of them. Others… not-so-much. Those were the ones that matched your horse’s description.

“very skittish of humans and if too confined can become very unpredictable. Due to his distrust of humans, Black Sabbath remains untrained … a true wild mustang.”

The few with this description were NOT successful even with expert help.

Based on what you’ve presented here, if the rescue is any good, they will probably reject your application.

I have worked with true unhandled horses and it is a LONG process to work through. One of my rescue projects was a 16 year old arab stallion who was born in the bottom part of a bank barn (no windows) who had NEVER BEEN OUTSIDE. He was born in a stall and lived in a stall for all of his 16 years. It took 3 years - 3 YEARS - to get him to the point where I felt comfortable letting him move onto a permanent home. And this was simply ground work/handling that had been done. We didn’t ever put him under saddle. He is, and will always be, programmed just a little bit differently from his past. I’m going to say that this guys wiring might be a little crossed as well.

Anyone with enough experience to take on this kind of project would also be able to look at him and know whether he’s suitable for the intended purpose. For all these reasons, and not the fluff you mentioned before, this horse is not appropriate for your needs or skill level. Find something appropriately started for your purpose and save yourself the risk and headaches this one will bring.

There are many, many nice friendly mustangs at BLM facilities waiting for adoption. Why not get one from there?
Our local facility has close to 3,000 to chose from, they also have a great (and cheap) program with the inmates to get them halter trained.
They offer partial free delivery and right now are planning on trailers heading to Maine, Texas, Florida (I think) with horses that have been adopted.
I went there last Friday and several of the horses let me pet them all over and followed me around. Look for one of those with good conformation if you really want a mustang to train and show.
Plus you can name him/her whatever you’d like!!
http://canoncitymustangs.weebly.com/

For example this guy:
Tag 6175, 2 year old buckskin gelding born at Nowata long term holding facility. About 14.1, maybe 14.2. Super friendly.
http://canoncitymustangs.weebly.com/6175-buckskin-gelding.html
or this one:
Tag 2639, 6 year old chestnut gelding from High Rock, CA. He is a taller gelding, around 15.1.
http://canoncitymustangs.weebly.com/2639-chestnut-gelding.html
This gal:
Tag number 1779. 3 Year old sorrel mare, born in the Canon City facility on 4-25-11, out of a Salt Wells Creek WY mare. Very tall, well put together mare. She was so friendly she followed me up and down the pen aisle and begged for scratches. GREAT for first time adopter! FRIENDLIEST HORSE IN THE PENS!!!
http://canoncitymustangs.weebly.com/1779-sorrel-mare.html

This one will be a real looker once cleaned up!
Tag number 1805. She is a 3 year old grey mare born in Canon City, out of an Adobe Town mare. Stands about 14.2. Friendly, likes people. GREAT for first time adopter!
http://canoncitymustangs.weebly.com/1805-grey-mare.html

Tag 2639, 6 year old chestnut gelding from High Rock, CA. He is a taller gelding, around 15.1.
http://canoncitymustangs.weebly.com/...t-gelding.html

I want that chestnut!

I’ve seen a few awesome mustangs in the local shows. One of my favorite rider/horse combos at the local schooling shows is a mustang.

Back in my teens when I started riding dressage with a great dressage instructor, my trainer put me on a mustang to start. He moved me up to a wb schoolmaster after that, but I loved that mustang. They make great companions.

Bearcat - I’m assuming you have seen that documentary about the CO inmates who raise/train the mustangs. I loved it. recorded it to the dvr, lost it, was lucky to find it again and re-record it to the dvr. currently it’s lost. But I loved seeing that bond. Love that idea of using inmates to help save mustangs and mustangs to help save inmates.

Try and imagine this horse in your least favorite color, then try to imagine his real name is Dobbin. How much would you still want him?

I agree with the folks above who say if you really want a mustang go adopt one from the pens or a prison program. And if you do go to the pens LISTEN to the wranglers about which horses are the most suitable for gentling. I have friends who have gentled mustangs for years. They’ve worked with dozen upon dozens of them. They are the first to admit that some mustangs just can’t make the adjustment. They will never be trustworthy enough to be a suitable companion. Those horses really do better just being left alone.

There are plenty of mustangs out there you can save, horses that will be happy to be your companion. My own mustang, while still a bit of a handful undersaddle, greets me at the gate nickering and begging for scritches. And it only took a week or two for her to get to that point with people. Leave this one to the pros.

I’d never adopt a horse named Black Sabbath. It is named that for a reason. So many other trainable animals - mustang or otherwise- with less baggage. Make it simple for yourself.

It sounds like someone has gotten seriously injured at least once when dealing with this horse in an enclosed space. For a professional only.

Decide which you want, rescue or project; you may not get both with this horse. Because you are looking to buy a rescue horse specifically, it follows that you probably want to save a horse. I think that is nice. But I think you should really think about your priorities and pick a candidate which you will really help.

If you are motivated by the welfare of this particular horse, will you be helping him? If he is a complicated horse which could be made useful with proper training and you are not the talented trainer to do that, you might just mess him up and waste his chances.

Not considering the loss of your time and money, what would happen to the horse if you adopted him, worked with him carefully, and then after many months or even years of work and trying everything, the horse continued to be unpredictable and unsuitable? Would you save him? Would you give him a nice retirement? Would you be able to give him back to the horse rescue (would they allow it)? Who would be the likely buyer for this unpredictable horse if you can’t keep him?

If you really have fallen for this particular horse and you really want to rescue him then make a commitment based on the most likely outcomes. He may be a horse who will continue to have a wild soul and will never be useful to humans, in which case rescue means pasture retirement, a pasture mate to keep him happy, and years of your money. If he ends up being dangerous, that commitment might mean putting him down.

Maybe your primary goal is to have a project to ride for a few years and resell. If that is the case, then why limit your market to rescue horses? Moreover, why limit yourself to difficult and unlikely rescue horses? And really, what is a rescue horse but a horse in a bad situation or in danger of being in a bad situation? If you select a horse and are successful at training it well then you will have succeeded for yourself and for the horse. The horse will be useful and marketable and desirable. You will have fun with it and maybe make some money, and the horse will have a good chance at a good life as well. So if your goal is to train a new project, then set yourself up for success and pick a horse suited to your abilities.

This guy is a cutie. He’s got a nice curious expression and seems relaxed in the pens, which bodes well for his trainability. And you never know, he may grow into that head.
https://www.blm.gov/adoptahorse/horse.php?horse_id=6557&mygalleryview=

Love this one, Nice short stocky little girl. She is going to fetch a decent price though. Wouldn’t be surprised if she went for a couple thousand.
https://www.blm.gov/adoptahorse/horse.php?horse_id=7069&mygalleryview=