Unlimited access >

Reselling Frozen Semen?

So here’s the deal, I was going to breed my riding horse for a single keeper foal. I’ve never bred a horse before and when I bought this mare 5 years ago she had just been a brood mare prior. Well, I bought 2 doses of frozen semen to Hanoverian stallion that was a good deal… so we had our pre-breeding appointment yesterday and the vet doesn’t love her external reproductive conformation (she was bred by live cover before, with no problems). Now, as I was just casually in the market to breed my mare anyway, I’m not sure I want to dump gobs of money into breeding her when it looks like she might have a very hard time catching (she’s 15 this year). SO, here’s my problem- I have 2 doses of semen to a Hanoverian stallion that are sitting in a tank at SBS breeding facility… and absolutely no intention on using them. What should I do? Is there a way to sell them? Do I just email the facility and have them give them back to the SO (they never left the collection facility, we just did the paperwork to change ownership of them). I definitely don’t want to pay their nitrogen tank “board” for perpetuity, since I am not looking to breed now.

PS: If someone knows of a Hanoverian breeder that has mares for “lease”, I’ve been toying with that idea. I would love to actually have a nice fancy baby to bring up the ranks…

PPS. I know that the title of this is a little misleading- I’m not actually trying to sell it to make a profit or anything that would be underhanded towards the stallion owner. Mostly just trying to figure out what to do now.

Thanks in advance!
-TB

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FreshFrozenISO/

[QUOTE=Bent Hickory;8577511]
https://www.facebook.com/groups/FreshFrozenISO/[/QUOTE]

I am part of this group and I always have to laugh when it shows up as a recommended feed for a friend and they contact me blanch-faced “um, is semen selling a thing?” Yes it is friend, yes it is.

OP, sorry to hear about your mare. Most SOs are okay with reselling the semen but I’d check with them first – but now I have to know, who is the stallion?

Beowulf, the stallion is Werbellin (Weltmeyer X SPS Lady Laurin). Dressage breeding on the top and apparently jumper breeding on the bottom. I was going to use him on my dressage mare.
And thanks, I truly am not overly distraught about it, she’s a lovely horse and now it just means we’ll be showing this season instead of growing a baby. : D