Unlimited access >

Restaurant recommendations for Tryon and surrounding environs

So, WEG begins next week (with or without an Opening Ceremonies) so let’s expand our discussions to include dining recommendations in Tryon and the surrounding areas. Coming from the west coast, I haven’t a clue as to the local options, and I suspect I am not the only one.

For those who are familiar with the area (Tryon, Charlotte, Asheville, Henderson, and other towns), how about listing your favorite places and type of food (BBQ, Southern, vegetarian, Italian, Asian or whatever). Also, are there any local specialties for which the area known?

Thanks in advance.

I’m not super familiar with anything in Tryon, but I can recommend a variety of places in Asheville, Greenville, and Traveler’s Rest.

Asheville:

• White Duck Taco
  • Marco's Pizza (several locations, great carryout)
  • 12 Bones ([B]amazing[/B] barbecue)
  • Tamarinds (Thai)
  • All the breweries are great, but these are my favorites: [LIST]
  • Green Man
  • Twin Leaf
  • Asheville Pizza and Brewing
  • Burial
  • Catawba (my favorite, great sours)
  • Bhramari (great beer, great food, vegan and vegetarian options)
[/LIST] Greenville:
  • Pita House (cash/check only, great local middle eastern place with grocery)
  • Trappe Door (Belgian, great beer selection, get the steak frites)
  • The Anchorage (upscale, great for dates)
  • Birds Fly South (great brewery)
  • Passarelle Bistro (french, pretty view)
  • Willy Taco
  • Joy of Tokyo (fast food hibachi, great if you're tired and just want to eat and go to sleep)
  • Tommy's Country Ham House (best breakfast in town!, biscuit drive through, opens at 5 AM)
Traveler's Rest:
  • Whistle Stop (American, I like the shrimp and grits)
  • Farmhouse Tacos (don't get the margs, they're tiny)
  • Cafe at Williams Hardware (breakfast/lunch)
  • Tandem Creperie
  • Upcountry Provisions (sandwich place)
  • Swamp Rabbit Brewing (rotating food trucks)

Gosh knows I shouldn’t share this as now I won’t get a seat, but my favorites:

Southside Smokehouse in Landrum on Hwy 176. Don’t let the name fool you. The menu is a mixture of Cajun, good vegetarian and BBQ. Chef Sara McClure was named one of four Chef Ambassadors for the state of SC for the second year in a row.

The Hare & Hound in downtown Landrum is a local icon. Good pub food.

The Brick Pizzeria in Columbus is my favorite for pizza. Side Stree Pizza in Tryon is good, too.

K&D’s New York Deli in Tryon makes great sandwiches.

If if you are near Spindale (near Forest City), try Barley’s Tap Room. Good local beers and good menu.

in Saluda try the Purple Onion. Also, for good local brews, try the tap room in Saluda Outfitters. They have some good tacos, burgers and fries, too.

And just because it is fun, if you are dry and places are full, there is (or at least use to be) a small set of taps in the Marathon gas station at the I-26 exit at Saluda. They serve local brews. Haven’t been there in some time, though.

Agree with Kathy’s list above and would add…

Landrum… Stone Soup (fresh ingredient restaurant with full bar, and prepared foods market, outside seating)… Soulisa’s (excellent Thai with full bar)

Tryon… Huckleberry’s (seasonal menu and well done, great outdoor patio seating and bar)

Saluda… Green River BarBQue (regional micros on tap, very casual, good service, outside patio with umbrella tables and often live music)

Hendersonville… Never Blue (small plates, extensive wine list)

Spartanburg… Willy Taco (original location) (excellent food, lively atmosphere, fun decor) (there’s a Greenville location, too, but it’s an entirely different vibe and the food was definitely phoned in)… Cribb’s Kitchen for delish upscale Southern

Greer… Bin 112 (extensive wine list and big-city talent in a tiny town kitchen)

All menus can be found online.

Regional specialties would include Pimiento cheese (on all kinds of things) and Shrimp & Grits (particularly good at Bin 112).

Now I’m hungry…
:winkgrin:

Hendersonville has chain restaurants like OCharley’s, Outback, and Applebee’s, plus other fast food places like Chick-fil-a, Zaxby’s, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Kentucky Fried Chicken, McDonald’s, Wendy’s, HoneyBaked Ham, Starbucks, etc. There is also Binion’s Roadhouse (burger, ribs, steaks, etc.), Bay Breeze (good family style seafood), Fatz Cafe, Fireside Restaurant and Pancake House, and various pizza and Mexican places here and there. Downtown HVille is a hopping little area, with Brandy’s and Postano’s for fine dining, Never Blue (tapas bar), Flanagan’s Pub, Mezzaluna Brick Oven, Black Rose Pub, Haus Heidelberg German Restaurant, Renzo’s Italian, Umi (Japanese/Sushi), and various other places. Flat Rock Wood Room (just south of Hville in Flat Rock) has very good wood-fired pizza and also excellent BBQ. Also in Flat Rock is Seasons Restaurant - it’s a bit upscale and pricey, but good.

If you take 64 north out of Hendersonville, you can hit Alt74 East at Bat Cave and head toward Chimney Rock. There are a bunch of little bars and cafes and bistros along the Broad River. Keep going east on 74 and you will get to Lake Lure - there are several eateries there, as well as the 1927-era Lake Lure Inn and Spa where they filmed Dirty Dancing.

Word from the locals in HVille is that they are expecting mobs of people everywhere, so be prepared for lots of traffic and long waits to get in anywhere.

Just a little local heads up for folks planning to spend time in Saluda, H’ville and A’ville-the Tryon grade can be a bear of a drive, especially if you get tangled up with big trucks. Just be careful and patient.

Sorry for the hijack. To stay on topic, the Cocula Grill in Columbus is consistently good Mexican.