Unlimited access >

Retired horse board options? - Encinitas, CA

I live in the Carlsbad/Encinitas area of North San Diego County. I need to find an affordable board option for my 30 year old retired hunter in the Encinitas/Olivenhain area. Needs to have good turnout options or he loses mobility (group pasture is hard to find but is ideal). I realize this is extremely hard to come across. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

Can you go further inland, like around Poway? IIRC there’s still more open space further from the coast but not too gosh awful far.

Agree with Findeight, I think you have to go inland. Once you get past the beach cities, San Diego really opens up and there are lots of horses communities that range from backyard to estate type.

I’m not sure if they still do this (doesn’t list it on their site), but I think Rawhide Ranch in Bonsall used to take on retired horses to their pastures. A girl I knew growing up retired her hunter there actually. When I was a kid, this space seemed huge and the pasture herd would just happily hang out all day. These horses were not the ones used in their camp riding programs either, they were just pasture ornaments. Maybe email or call them to find out if that is even an option! Here is their website

http://rawhideranch.com/

Try Rancho East in Rancho Santa Fe (east part). It’s not fancy, but has a super reputation for looking after retired and elderly horses. The owner is a former h/j and western person, has been around forever, and lives on the property. Her house is in the middle of the property next to the barns, and from her back windows she looks out at all the paddocks and can see what the horses are doing.

It’s inexpensive, but the peace of mind that the horses are properly cared for is priceless. Again, it’s not fancy…it’s basic…quiet and on about 10 acres (?). Two rings, and trails. Paddocks or stalls.

Ask around, I know several people with private ranches in that area that would board a horse through word-of-mouth but not otherwise. There are a lot of medium sized properties tucked away.

[QUOTE=Mardi;8547756]
Try Rancho East in Rancho Santa Fe (east part). It’s not fancy, but has a super reputation for looking after retired and elderly horses. The owner is a former h/j and western person, has been around forever, and lives on the property. Her house is in the middle of the property next to the barns, and from her back windows she looks out at all the paddocks and can see what the horses are doing.

It’s inexpensive, but the peace of mind that the horses are properly cared for is priceless. Again, it’s not fancy…it’s basic…quiet and on about 10 acres (?). Two rings, and trails. Paddocks or stalls.[/QUOTE]

do you know how to contact the owner?

Lovely place in San Jacinto which is in South Riverside County. https://www.facebook.com/Talley-Meadows-Layups-and-Retirement-1438717793033145/

[QUOTE=vossellerm;8831183]
do you know how to contact the owner?[/QUOTE]

Will PM you the info.