Unlimited access >

Retirement board in Northern Virginia (Middleburg/Leesburg) area?

Hello- I’m in the unfortunate situation of retiring my 12-years young OTTB hunter. I know there have been multiple threads on retirement board (I’ve been combing through them!), but anyone want to offer recommendations for the NoVA area? He has been accustomed to solo turnout and lots of pampering, so I am a little concerned about the transition and what it might be like for him. Also, any tips on what to look for in a retirement facility? Thanks in advance!!

Patricia Ramey is off Rokey Road in Upperville. Incredible care. Give her a call and talk through Your concerns. 7039731140

There are many flavors and varieties of retirement board out there – figure out what is important to you first. What to look for: happy horses and happy owners. Ask for vet references and to speak with current and former boarders. And be ready with your own references.

Talk with Glenda at Playland Farm in Union Bridge,MD. They have a nice facility and good care. Yvonne Lucas at Red Moon Farm in Berryville is another good person to talk with. Check both websites so you know something about the farms before you call.

Patricia Ramey is fabulous.

[QUOTE=Stacie;8838323]
Patricia Ramey is off Rokey Road in Upperville. Incredible care. Give her a call and talk through Your concerns. 7039731140[/QUOTE]

Patricia Ramey is the best! I have had retired horses with her on and off for over ten years. If you are going to turn him out, do it now, while he has time to adjust to the herd and grow a proper coat. By October he will have trouble catching up and his first winter will be tough.

My mare is at a retirement farm here in MD that is fabulous and ridiculously cheap. No solo turnout though. PM me if you would be interested in coming up this way and I will give you contact info.