Unlimited access >

Return of Flat Tack?

Are flat, as opposed to raised, bridles making a comeback? Friend who shows hunters just got one. Something like this though the noseband may have been thinner.

1 Like

I’ve heard this too. How amusing… I’m back in fashion. Just goes to show, wait long enough and what is old becomes new again.

8 Likes

Fun! Great to see these classic bridles again!

1 Like

Flat tack never went out of fashion on the fox hunts! I have suffered for years with a raised hunt bridle my daughters bought for my hunt horse at Rolex for way-too-much money. It fits my hunter, but, oh, the shame of not having the traditional flat tack. Fortunately I do have a beautiful flat bridle I use with my young horse –

But honestly, even on our oh-so-traditional hunt (Battle Creek Hunt) no one has ever pointed out that my bridle is not correct. I think every rider has some tack or attire that could be improved. I over look their field boots and poorly tied stock ties, and hope they over look my raised bridle.

3 Likes

I love flat tack. I don’t think it ever actually went out of style.

3 Likes

@Foxglove Sounds like your hunt has a good attitude. I know that flat tack is traditional for field hunters.

I grew up with flat tack, even in show hunters. In the last twenty years or so I’ve seen little to none of it in the show ring. I actually prefer the look. I don’t think that anyone else at my barn except the head trainers has been doing this long enough to realize that flat tack isn’t a brand new concept.

1 Like

I have a friend whose schooling bridle at home for her fancy hunter is a very simple flat hunt bridle! It’s a classic look and it’s beautiful on her mare.

1 Like

I haven’t seen many of these (outside of the fox hunting crowd) in a long time, but also love the look! I have a few of my own as well, which have to be 40+ years old.

I have noticed that New Cavalry now makes a few flat, yet fancy stitched bridles now. Besides those and the bridles that are only raised towards the center of the brow/nose with the sides being flat, I have yet to see an old school hunt bridle in the hunter ring, though it would be a cool throwback!

Same here, flat tack for everything was the norm when I was growing up. Several years ago, a riding friend who is much younger than me, looked at a portrait of my junior horse and inquired “what kind of bridle is that”? It is still traditional at our local hunt, but aside from that I haven’t seen a flat bridle in 40 years.

1 Like

I had a beautiful Stubben flat leather bridle and I sold it about a year ago for no where near its value. I am feeling sad if it is true that this is coming back into style. I should have held out hope a little bit longer. :broken_heart: :broken_heart: :broken_heart:

2 Likes

In fact, I just bought one, at a second hand tack store. Nicely made, good quality, in pristine condition, never even looked for a brand name. $25. Didn’t particularly need it, haven’t used it yet… I just can’t pass up a deal like that.

4 Likes

This is why I have such a massive bridle collection, lol! I can’t pass up deals like that, either!

2 Likes

Flat tack was so much easier to clean and care for! I would love to have a high quality butter soft flat bridle with nice stitching and hardware.

4 Likes

Hmm… gonna have to dig through the spare tack bins with a new eye now. Maybe I’ll sell some old stuff as cutting edge. :grin:

That said, I did have a flat but triple stitched bridle that I just loved for the horse I had it on. Sadly, it missed out on making a move with him. I have no idea who made it back then, but I would be all over picking up one of those again if anyone still makes them.

2 Likes

Awesome! I have my moms flat hunt bridle that she showed in in the late 60s early 70s, I’m so glad I have been keeping it oiled.

3 Likes

traditional classic tack never goes out of style, just other things come in style I am not a fan of the real thick nose bands flat, padded or whatever. I got a lovely flat bridle on sale when i was showing side saddle (tack had to be flat, and sewn!) It was orange which looked just great (not) on my black mare, but when it finally oiled up it was a gorgeous color, rich, soft.

3 Likes