Rheumatoid Arthritis

Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone has any stretches or exercises that could help riders with RA? I am 25 and started having RA symptoms at 18. I find that especially my ankles are super stiff now which is really preventing me from having that shock absorber I need while riding.

I have also had 6 surgeries on my feet in high school, which included having my achilles tendons in both feet shortened and my ankle tendons shortened in my right ankle.

On top of that I do a lot of traveling for work, which does result in a lot of sitting in my car. So anything that I can do for stretches while driving would be great!

Thank you :slight_smile:

Hey! I was diagnosed with RA around your age. I have found pilates to be exceptionally helpful (physically, mentally, etc). It greatly improved my riding but also my overall comfort level. Even if you just take a few private sessions, they can give you stretches to use at home that make a huge difference. Just make sure they know that you are working with RA. I wish i knew about Pilates when I was a teenager (for a multitude of reasons), but now as an adult, it has literally made all the difference in the world. In my comfort, my motivation, and being able to use hips, arms etc independently. So when Mrs I-want-to-bulge-right-to-the-extreme starts that up, a gentle move with my hips corrects it. It less taxing on my body overall. Definitely do it correctly and get a professinal’s advice. RA is a lot to manage. I admire you for taking this all head on.

lovemyboy,

Thank you for your words of wisdom! I have been trying to get into yoga but I seem to only stick to it for a couple of days. But I am really wanting to improve my feet and ankle issues for a multitude of reasons, not just riding. I actually downloaded an exercise app that so far I really enjoy, we shall see if it keeps me motivated to keep stretching!

I need to learn to stretch before riding. Usually my lessons take place after I have been driving for 2+ hours, so to say I’m stiff is an understatement.