Unlimited access >

Rich Strike retired, to be offered at Keeneland sale November 17th

I don’t doubt the horse has had some tendon issue or something preventing him from running. Given enough time off to rehab, perhaps he can come back…but maybe not at G1 success. In stallion circles, “Tendon Issue” (or the like) is also code for, “We don’t feel confident he will win, and continuing to run him and lose will diminish his stud value.”

3 Likes

The horse hasn’t had a timed work in 60 days. They have about 2 1/2 months to get him fit for the Pegasus. Would that even be possible?

2 Likes

Who knows if he’ll be ready for Pegasus; if still with Bill Mott, he won’t run at all if he isn’t 100%. He is in “light work” at Margaux currently. It depends on how sound he is, how easy he is to get fit, how long he’s been off, etc. And not speaking of Rich Strike specifically, but some horses have what I consider odd scheduling of timed works; you never know how hard they are galloped in the mornings, or how far, or if there are “unofficial” timed works.

5 Likes

Good to know the owner listens to Mott.

2 Likes

I suspect if Dawson were hellbent on running an unsound Rich Strike and Mott said no, Dawson would just go find another trainer.

Mott can afford to lose a 1-horse client. But even if he couldn’t, I believe he’s the kind of horseman who would not knowingly run a horse with questionable soundness.

6 Likes

Doesn’t Keenland have an “out” fee? Many sales do, so that they limit the number of possible consignors who are just looking for cheap, but very effective, advertising.

I’m glad that they pulled the horse. There was no upside to running him through the sale. He’d make a lively gelding. The world doesn’t need more subpar studs making babies.

3 Likes

Keeneland has an entry fee. It was $1,000 the last time I looked. It’s advertising (if you pull out) but it isn’t cheap.

1 Like

Have you purchased a full page ad anywhere? This goes to everyone who might have interest, for only 1K. Cheap.

2 Likes

The catalog page isn’t an ad. It isn’t anything vaguely resembling an ad. It’s one of 800 virtually identical pages in a flip-through book. You don’t get to design it and you have no control over what is printed on it. I only referred to it as advertising in response to your post calling it “cheap, but very effective, advertising.” It’s not.

2 Likes

As a breeder and owner, the page in the catalog does not show the breeding and the close relations and their accomplishments? Is it intended to inspire you to buy that horse? If not, why have the page at all? Why have the catalogue at all? More to the point, does it make you aware that the particular horse is actually available for you to purchase? That’s what an ad is, and what it does.

I thought he did not look very fit in his sales page photos/video–even a wee bit of a belly?

1 Like

https://catalog.keeneland.com/k623/catalog/hip/4001A/?103

2 Likes

Cool! A picture, and his breeding and racing record! They’re making those who receive the catalogue aware that the horse is going to be sold, and showing what he looks like and all the detes.
I’d call that an ad, sent to all of the most interested parties, and then, it filters down to more people, like us. What a great spend of $1000!

2 Likes

The pages are there to provide information to potential buyers. Inspiration isn’t part of the job. If you want to see them as “cheap” ads, feel free, Really, this isn’t worthy of so much discussion.

4 Likes

I have to admit his pedigree is better than I realized, I really like his dam.

3 Likes

Love Smart Strike mares (Mine That Bird, for example), and she could run.

I hate to correct, but owners and consigners absolutely do have control over what’s put on a catalog page. Normally, consigners talk owners out of changing them much, but if you ever see a horse on a page that makes you go ???, that is why.

The sale companies post proofs, the consigner sends back with edits (usually things such as wrong color/typo/nominations), then they are published.

“The sale companies post proofs, the consigner sends back with edits (usually things such as wrong color/typo/nominations), then they are published.”

Sure, corrections in the interest of presenting correct information, or updates that fall within the cut-off date. But changing anything in the sire line or female line information on the page is a hard ask, and almost never happens unless there is a seriously good reason for it.

Over the years, I’ve ok’d hundreds of catalog proofs at various sales companies for several major breeders and consignors and only remember one major change to how a page was written. A client had a weanling in at Keeneland whose first dam filled the page, but the second dam was a breed-shaping producer and the breeder wanted to see her name on the page one last time. I talked with the JC Director of Cataloguing and we figured out how to squeeze the first dam and get the second dam on the page.

7 Likes

Maybe we’ve run into different people then, but we would send proofs to the clients and edit to add anything they wanted. We always had a client who wanted horses added under the dam, and we, and the sale would oblige them. Never had any pushback.

1 Like

So the Jockey Club is involved in setting standards for cataloguing? Never even considered they’d have a hand in.