Unlimited access >

Ride Times

I rode Training 3 and First 1 in a schooling show recently, and I was surprised that my first level test was scheduled before my training level test. Really didn’t matter, I’m just trying to get my horse used to being out and about again, but I had assumed the lower level test would be scheduled prior to a higher level test. I’m new to dressage shows, is that normally the case, or not necessarily?

1 Like

There are many things that are considered when scheduling rides at a dressage show and it’s not usual that classes are run “in order” in my experience.

Things like riders showing multiple horses, judge schedule if a judge is only working half a day, the numbers of rides, and frankly any favors the scheduler provides to riders.

3 Likes

Yes. it is quite common to have the order of the tests pretty much random order. I am scoring at recognized show today, and the very first ride is Grand Prix.

4 Likes

I find that the schooling shows, in particular, are very accommodating. If it does or should make a difference to you, next time just include a note for the secretary. They do have a lot to juggle; so, the out of order sequence probably was the result of someone else having specific needs. For years I would show multiple horses and have them reach out to me to see if I would mind if they scheduled things in a certain way which I found very thoughtful. It’s also not uncommon to have some of the higher levels first thing in the day in order to get the longer (and harder) tests out of the way before the heat of the day.

3 Likes

Was there more than one ring? Or more than one judge? Multiple rings often have different levels running in different rings, and multiple judges are often split between levels so the more experienced judge gets the higher levels (of those offered).

I had one show where I signed up for the three Training tests and the order ended up 2, 3, 1. But the judge had Test 1 when I went in to do test 2 and of course rang the bell when I turned the wrong way at C. They had a spare test 2 and had me start over. I found test 1 too easy and asked if I could ride test 2 at the test 1 time instead since they already had the paperwork lined up and I was fine with it not counting for ribbons.

In our schooling show series, if there are upper level tests they are scheduled first, before it gets too hot.

1 Like

That is the way the shows are run here (reverse order). Totally understand wanting to run the upper level tests while it’s cooler in the morning, but I do wish that at least within a level, they would run the classes sequentially. At least for my lower level horse, it would work better to ride the easier test first, and the harder test once she’s been in the arena, seen the judge’s box, etc.

2 Likes

Yes, this is normal. Our one-ring schooling shows and Level 1 rated shows tend to run in roughly reverse order - adjusted as necessary for things like a rider riding multiple horses (to have sufficient warm-up on the second horse). All of our larger rated shows are completely random because they run multiple rings.

1 Like

Could you register for more than one tests at each level the next time? I’ve only ridden one level but registered for A & C so that we had half a chance in case horse went around like a looky loo giraffe for the first test.

If the show is run by USEF rules, you can only show 3 classes a day at 4th level and below and if showing different levels, you can only show consecutive levels (TL and 1st, 1st and 2nd, etc) per DR199.2

Thanks everyone!! That all makes sense. This show had only one ring, and the general trend was lower levels first, progressing up the levels, but with exceptions. It’s good to know what to expect - I come from a H/J background but I’m really starting to enjoy this dressage stuff!

ETA: My horse can sometimes provide lively spectator entertainment in new places, hence my motivation for understanding if I can expect the easier test first. I’ve decided to do the local schooling show series this summer so hopefully it will be a non-issue (or at least less of an issue) by fall!

3 Likes

This. The series closest to me tends to run the FEI classes in the morning on Friday and Sunday and end of the day on Saturday for spectators (obviously prior to last year).

In addition, if you’ve got riders on more than one horse, it becomes a challenge to “run in order” if they’ve got to get multiple horses tacked up, warmed up, and put away.

it’s also interesting to hear the various opinions on whether a rider wants their rides one right after another or if they want a longer break between rides. I always preferred a longer break, but some riders just want get their rides done all at once. I always found that my horse did better with a bit of a mental break between tests.

1 Like

I’ve been the secretary for one-ring schooling dressage shows for years. While I often try to run tests in order, it truly depends on how many special requests for accommodation I get and how big or small classes are. Even if the levels run out of order, I do try to schedule the tests within a level in order (mostly because that is what I prefer when I’m riding!).

I also show at recognized shows and they are all multi-ring with the tests and levels being in basically a random order.

Many shows put the longer and harder tests first. They usually have so much fewer of them.

Taking my toddler to his first under saddle schooling show on Sunday. Just got my ride times and they have us rapid fire at the start of the day. YIKES! I’ll have about 10 minutes between the two tests to try to recollect him and myself. I was a little disappointed to see that arrangement, but oh well, I guess? Gives me some anxiety just thinking about it though.

Since it is a schooling show, it would not be unreasonable for you to email the secretary and ask for a little more time between your tests. The worst that can happen is she/he says no and they you are in the same position you are now…

3 Likes

I thought about doing that but also didn’t want to cause an issue. I will send her a message and see what she says though. Thanks for the confidence push. I should advocate better for myself and him.

3 Likes

Honestly having started many young horses that included taking them to their first show, I prefer to have ‘less time’ between tests and this arrangement, at least for me and mine, almost guarantees a better test for the second ride. I realize every rider and every horse is different; but, I used to show multiple ‘babies’ at a time and being able to get them ‘done’ and then move on to the next one was very helpful too. Having said that though I always found the show staff to be more than accommodating to my requests if I needed to space things out a bit. I’ll bet they will do their best to give you the time you feel you need.

6 Likes

I did email asking for us to be able to move in the night before instead of the day of. I think if they allow me to do that, I’ll be a lot less anxious. The thought of trying to get myself and the toddler settled before 8am and having to travel in is making me less than excited.

2 Likes

There is a show series near me that does this. They typically run low test/level to upper, but start with the standard arena, then switch to a small arena, but also run Training 1 in a small arena and Training 2 and 3 in a standard. So test order is often Training 2, 3, First Level 1-3, Second Level 1-3, etc., then switch to small arena and run Intro A, Intro B, Intro C, Training 1. For most, it isn’t too bad, but when I was showing my one gelding in Training level in 2019, it made for a VERY long day as we would have to be there at the start of the show for Training 2 (and sometimes 3), then wait around all day for Training 1. I have no problems running the tests out of sequence, but it would have been nice if they wanted to start with a standard arena, to start with top levels (usually a FEI TOC, then 4th, then 3rd, etc) and worked their way to Training, then switched the arena and started with Training 1 then moved to the Intro tests. I never did ask them about changing it around, but I know others did and they didn’t want to change the way they had it organized.