Rider stiffness

Hi everyone!
Quick backstory-

A little over a year ago i partially tore the supraspinatus in my right shoulder. I’ve done PT for it, however I’m struggling with with my upper body when I ride. It seems to me that my current issues have stemmed from this injury.

I have a few ribs that pop out of place near my right shoulder, my upper back aches, and my shoulders are always tight. It’s incredibly frustrating when I ride. My arms are my downfall when it comes to advancing in dressage. I’m physically unable to be soft and supple.

I currently have massages bi weekly, chiropractic adjustments weekly, I attend a very good gym to help strengthen my core muscles (which I believe helps), plus I stretch and do yoga.
(Also, muscle relaxers and Tylenol do not help whatsoever)

I feel incredibly stuck; My doctor that diagnosed me has nothing to offer nor does my chiropractor. I don’t know what else to do! Has anyone been in the same boat? I’d greatly appreciate advice!

If you have ribs that pop out, you might want to explore Ehlers Danilo’s syndrome. You might have hyper mobile joints

Moshposh, I struggle with this exact issue. My left shoulder and chest are painfully stiff due to lasting side effects from radiation for breast cancer in 2013. In addition, I’m taking Exemesthane, an estrogen blocking drug that causes arthritis and joint stiffness. All my life I was a natural rider with an equitation build for riding hunters and jumpers. Now I have a stiff shoulder and less joint mobility overall, which effects my release when jumping and I look tense even when I’m not.

When my breast cancer progressed to Stage IV in 2015, I decided to spend as much time riding, showing and enjoying my horses as possible. To keep myself strong in the saddle, I do Pilates and I ride without stirrups. Keeping my shoulders soft and fluid remains an ongoing challenge. Surprisingly, there’s not a lot of helpful information about this problem even though it affects all aging riders (I’m 62) to some degree. My trainers have suggested riding with driving reins, riding with one hand while holding the free arm straight out to the side and rotating it in big circles, and rotating both shoulders in big circles at the trot and canter. These exercises help and they create body awareness but for me, they didn’t get to the core of the physical problem.

I finally found a sports based physical therapist who helped me strengthen and stretch my shoulder. She worked with me on a foam roller, with elastic bands and on her red cord system, which involves slings and pullies. I improved so much my trainers stopped mentioning my shoulders in lessons. Then I fell off in mid September and fractured my sacrum (lower back) and had to rest until last week. Now I’m restarting physical therapy for my back and shoulder. If things go well, I’ll start riding again in mid December.

Riding as as an adult is about managing physical and mental issues and doing the best with your body on any given day. Never give up and keep searching until you find a solution.

Good luck, Moshposh!

3 Likes

Roo , I am so sorry to hear about your cancer and your fall. Poor gal. Healthy and healing vibes sent your way! Ive been taking “no stirrup November” seriously for once and it definitely helps with my posture and straightness in the saddle.

I am seeing a Sports medicine doctor Tuesday and I’m actually excited; Hopefully he can help me.

Happy riding!

1 Like

Any better?

I know this thread is a little old, but I thought I might share what’s worked (and not) for me. I hurt my back shoveling snow back in the Snowmageddon storms in 2009-10 and the damage was permanent. I was eventually diagnosed with arthritis in my thoracic vertebrae (my pain management doc was surprised by the amount of trauma I’d accumulated after 30+ years of riding) and chronic sacroilliitis.

I have been through just about every modality of treatment: several rounds of PT, three chiropractors, massage, a radial nerve ablation. For the last two years I have been doing myofacial release once a month, and it’s the only thing that seems to open up the stuck parts and get me moving with some semblance of symmetry. I wish I could afford to do it more that once a month (it’s out of pocket and $165 for a 90-minute session, which is not terrible, but once a month is all I can fit in the budget at the moment).

My practitioner studied under John Barnes, who apparently is a bit woo-woo. I don’t believe in the New Age aspect of it, but I feel a 100 times better when I walk out of a session and then keep it up in between sessions through stretching and Pilates.