Rider with no arms - please read this inspiring story!

We have a young girl (and I mean young — 4 years old) that has started riding with us at HOPE - Horses Helping People in Gainesville, Florida. She was born with no arms. Her inspiring parents adopted her and last year got her into riding at HOPE. She just this week rode in a saddle for the first time and started learning to guide the horse by using her feet. It is absolutely so amazing! Please join us on facebook (www.facebook.com/horseshelpingpeople) to keep an eye on her success - I have a feeling she is going to be an amazing one to watch grow and succeed!

Click here to see a picture of her riding at our facility horse show!

What a cutie. She certainly looks happy up there. I hope she has many, many years of wonderful rides. Riding should be about using your seat and legs anyway so I’m sure she will be a wonderful ride and the horses will probably appreciate it too. (Thinking of all the rollkur train wreck theads in other forums here.)

Beautiful! I hope you guys can track down the story of that famous young rider…jeez it must have been 10 years ago I read an article on her. She rode with her mouth and feet, saddlebreds. Showed and did very well.

And we can’t forget Bettina Eistel! I wish that little one all the luck in the world.

She’s adorable!

Here’s some inspiration for her. This is my friend Laura, who was also born with no arms and does competitive trail and dressage. My trainer rigged up a setup for her that is like a harness around her upper body/shoulders attached to hooks that hook into the reins. She can guide the horse using her seat as well as her shoulders to control the reins.

http://www.clowaterart.com/LookOut/slides/Lookout-3819.html

what a story of courage and hope! even though she is still a little girl plus her arms are not present but she is not limited in what she can do with her condition. she has the courage of trying new things and that is the spirit!