Riders with disabilites and organized programs

I see people looking for organized groups to ride as riders with disabilities.

I think that there are many advantages to that, especially for those with the more severe disabilities, where their riding is truly basic therapy.

For so many others, I think that any good instructor can be of help.
Fifty years ago, before we had any standarization for instruction for therapy with horses, many riding instructors would take on those students and do a very good job of helping them.
We had a few handicapped riders and we gave them lessons, taking into consideration their limitations.

I would say that, if someone can’t find a registered group today close to where they are, they should just ask local standard riding schools if they teach riders with the disability they have, rather than give up and not ride.:yes:
Who knows, they may eventually have enough clients to start another group.:cool:

I think it’s an important distinction to make the a riding instructor of any kind would not be providing therapy. Only a licensed therapist can provide therapy-whether the person is on a horse or not.

A therapeutic riding instructor has had special training in working with riders with disabilities and a “typical” riding instructor may teach riders with disabilities, but may or may not have experience.

[QUOTE=Karma;4466377]
I think it’s an important distinction to make the a riding instructor of any kind would not be providing therapy. Only a licensed therapist can provide therapy-whether the person is on a horse or not.

A therapeutic riding instructor has had special training in working with riders with disabilities and a “typical” riding instructor may teach riders with disabilities, but may or may not have experience.[/QUOTE]

That is right, but should not stop some disabled person from riding, just not be considered outright therapy without a therapist, of course.

Riding alone, without it being directed therapy, is immensely physically helpful to anyone, with or without disabilities.
Any riding is better than none, for those that can’t find an organized therapy group or individual offering that.
That was my point.