Unlimited access >

Riding a horse for a non-horsey owner

[QUOTE=PeteyPie;8867513]
Do you ride this horse exclusively or do you ride your own horse as well?[/QUOTE]

Just curious- how would your response to OP differ depending on whether she rides this horse exclusively or not?

She rides a 17+ hand breeding stock paint, also.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?495985-Horse-BTV-!!!-Help!!

OP - Here’s another mixed opinion:
For 2+ years you have operated under an arrangement that has generally seemed satisfactory to you and owner. More recently you negotiated “pay for my classes if you want the ribbons”. Owner said yes and agreed to pay for particular show(s), which I’m guessing were quite recent.
If he has not paid for these classes as agreed, I would send him a bill, with a note reminding him of agreement.

Part 2 - he has now reduced the number of rides he is willing to pay for.
At this point you need to make a decision if you want to agree to his limits or not. If not, say no thanks and move on. If yes, put on paper the arrangement and. with parental assistance, have it signed by you and owner.

I suspect that every paid rider on the planet has had clients that change their minds on training, change their minds on riders and/or sometimes don’t pay w/out some prodding. Dealing with this is part of the learning process.

[QUOTE=m&m;8867640]
She rides a 17+ hand breeding stock paint, also.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?495985-Horse-BTV-!!!-Help!![/QUOTE]

So OP, a teen-ager, has single-handedly brought either this horse, or another horse, to Level Two dressage? And is in the ribbons? Hmmm.

[QUOTE=meupatdoes;8867624]
Just curious- how would your response to OP differ depending on whether she rides this horse exclusively or not?[/QUOTE]

It might affect her decision to go forward. If this is the only horse available to her, it might affect the benefit she receives from riding, that is, the opportunity to ride might be valuable to her. After all, many people pay to lease a horse in order to ride. On the other hand, if she rides several horses, this is more of a job in which her main benefit is the money and she is working strictly as a trainer for these people.

I have a free lease arrangement with a junior. She has use of a professionally started and trained horse. She uses my trainer for lessons, but also rides outside of lessons. I take care of the horse’s expenses, provide the tack, and keep the horse on my farm. The junior has been quite successful in dressage and eventing. She pays for any entry fees and keeps any ribbons and prizes. On occasion there is a cash breeder award based on performance and I keep that award. I will haul to shows and be on the ground to assist/cheer.

I see it as a win-win situation. The junior is not in a position to own her own horse. However, she gets a very nice horse to ride and show. She is welcome to all the ribbons, saddle pads, etc that she can win. (I have so many ribbons that this is a big plus for me.) I get my indirect advertising from having my horse out and about. It’s all good