Riding after 1 level ACDF surgery C5-C6

Hi all,
Just looking to see if anyone here has had a similar surgery and how soon were they able to get back on.
On Dec 22,2017, I had a single level ACDF surgery fusing C5-C6 with donor bone and had some bone spurs removed.

One spur in particular had been sitting on the C6 nerve causing MAJOR pain in my left shoulder scapular area which really cause me a lot of pain doing everything, including working down a hot horse.

Originally I was told I could ride at 4 months, but that has changed and My Surgeon is ‘suggesting’ I wait.
My main focus in jumpers, and would be happy as a clam to just be on and riding my horse who is in full training while I heal, so she keeps learning and stays in shape.

My surgeon also was hinting that jumping would be many more months out.
I understand where he is coming from as I’m essentially healing from 2 full fractures (with hardware in place).

I am curious to know though if anyone has any info of their own experience to share.
Seriously chomping at the bit to get back on as I feel fine, some soreness and still some nerve related pain, but nothing I haven’t dealt with in past!

Thanks!

I haven’t had this type of spinal surgery but sounds like your surgeon did a reasonable amount of work on your vertebrae. Event if you and your spine “feel fine” the bone isn’t yet completely healed. I was told it could take up to a year for spine surgeries (I had a fusion) to heal completely. I was “brace free” after 5 months but full healing was closer to 12 months.

Without knowing more about what exactly your surgeon did, my inclination would be to follow your surgeon’s recommendations on returning to riding and jumping. The cervical spine, as you know, is fairly high up with the potential to impact a fair amount of your entire body. You may be risking paralysis as well as maybe significant bone changes like arthritis as you get older if you “abuse” the healing bones now. Your surgeon was the one in there messing around; they were in the best position to know what their recovery recommendation should be.

Maybe someone with more direct experience this procedure can share their experiences but also remember everyone’s surgeries like this are different with what procedures where done and how. I could easily see pushing the boundaries of a broken leg or arm… spine, IMO, not so much.

Good luck in your recovery and do your PT :wink:

Gee - in 1999 I had an anterior approach, single level (can’t remember if it is C5-4 or C5-6), fusion, with donor bone, because of arthritis, disc protrusion, pain, weakness and increased reflexes. As I recall, I was in a rigid collar for 4-6 weeks, but after that, I went back to my usual activities including jumping. After my second fusion in 2008 (posterior approach ,rods and screws, due to instability of the joint above the original fusion), I was told I could do whatever I wanted, as soon as I wanted, because the rods and screws were not going anywhere. I did give up jumping, though, and concentrated on dressage. I’ve had a few falls/launchings since, and visit the doc every four-five years to check on the stability of the adjacent joints.

The one thing I do religiously is neck PT exercises. The first surgeon said that activities of daily living would be enough, but I think he was wrong, and I might have delayed the second surgery if I had been aware of the exercises to do. Oh - I"ve taken up Alexander Technique and think that that is helping my overall situation.

I apologize for not remembering, but I think you have other health issues which might mandate a different approach than the ones I had. And rate of healing may be age related, but 3 1/2 months seems like a lot to me. Disclaimer - I am a physician but this is NOT medical advice, because I do not know your situation (and it is not my area of expertise anyway).