Riding After DVT

Two years ago I was diagnosed with DVT in my left calf caused by female contraceptives. I was that 1 in 100. Detected through a blood test and confirmed by ultra sound. I was given blood thinners immediately, pain meds and anti inflammatories. Told it would dissolve on its own within a few weeks. After 6 months I was pain free. While I don’t generally have day to day pain, some “twitches” here and there. I wear a BOT calf brace while sleeping as that’s when I get the “twitches”.

I took a year off of riding due to my horse retiring and my youngster growing up. Now I’m back in the saddle with my youngster and I’m having some issues. My leg is falling asleep from the hip down after 10 minutes of a working trot. To the point that my leg is numb. I have tried wearing my BOT brace/ copper compression socks to increase circulation and it got worse. The feeling in my leg did not come back quickly and was more painful.

My RMT has been working on it and it definitely helps but doesn’t fix the issue.

​​​​​​I have been DVT free since the initial treatment and not on any medications.

Thoughts? Experience?

To me, sounds like nothing related to DVT but more nerve related in your spine; at least the leg falling asleep feelings.

If you are concerned you still have clots, ask your PCP for an ultrasound of your legs to confirm absence or presence of any DVTs.

IMO, unless you really need compression socks, I wouldn’t wear them during riding (that is just my personal feeling). Not sure they will help with circulation as they will be also potentially impeding blood flow into the lower leg and foot.

Have you mentioned the “twitches” to your PCP? While RMT (massage therapist I am assuming?) is a good therapeutic source, with these symptoms and your past history, may want to also engage your PCP.

I’ve had both DVTs and SVTs and did not experience any of the feelings that you are reporting. May not mean anything coming from an anecdotal report of one :slight_smile:

PS. Also anecdotal experience of one… I tried the Copper Fit knee brace. IMO, waste of $$… YMMV :slight_smile:

I have had a DVT in my left leg since 1981 - in the main femoral vein. It runs from mid-calf into my groin and yes, it’s still there. I had another DVT that was extremely small in 1999 located behind my knee in the same leg. On both occasions I was treated with Warfarin for 6 months. The second clot dissolved, however the first, huge one has remained. I am now permanently anti-coagulated (on Warfarin for now) because of another incident in 2000 with the very large clot while I was undergoing chemotherapy for breast cancer. One of the chemo drugs is very irritating to blood vessels and I had already experienced phlebitis in my left arm after 2 chemo sessions. I was on Warfarin but only a very small preventative dose, however it was not enough and I experienced another major obstruction, but not complete occlusion, at the site of the very large clot by my fourth chemo cycle. My leg was twice the size of the other one and a friend who had taught nursing for decades said she’d never seen a leg so swollen from a DVT! Ever! I could barely walk. Surface veins have since taken over some of the blood flow, however the left leg remains noticeably larger and redder with many large surface veins showing like worms:eek:, to the point that I have not worn a short skirt in over 15 years - too many comments.

All this is to say that I have never experienced any numbness from the clot while riding or at any other time. Cramping of muscles due to lack of oxygenated blood flow, yes, but never numbness while riding or normal sitting/lying. I will go a bit numb as anyone would if normal circulation and sensation is cut down by irregular body position.

I agree with Where’sMyWhite and suggest you consult a doctor. I also don’t wear compression garments as I depend on the surface veins to assist with circulation and the pressure from the garment would restrict it I am sure. (I did wear light support panyhose with skirts for years after the first clot and also after the second, but they were not the compression type and that was prior to the third major clotting incident.)

How long were you on an anticoagulant? I’m 6 months post bi lateral PE and still taking eliquis. I was hospitalized for a month, and it took me probably until just recently (but even now it’s not a consistent, three times a week thing) where I’m riding.

I can sympathize with the everything that goes along with having a clot. So frustrating.

My first guess is it would be you having somehow injured/tweaked a nerve that’s making your leg go numb, possibly because you wenrent exercising as much you lost muscle and that led to a small tweak. Who knows. But, because of your history, totally get it checked out. Ultrasounds are easy and it’ll give you peace of mind!!!

Keep us posted!

I’ve had multiple DVT’s and have been on blood thinners for years. I have never had a numbness issue from it. I think I would consult your doctor. Maybe you have tweaked something in your back that is causing the nerve issue.

I experienced numbness in my leg (and elsewhere) from a herniation at L5/S1. That was my first thought when reading your post. Hope you get it figured out and experience some improvement. If it is a back issue, a gel or Supracor seat saver is a game changer. Good luck!

I ride with compression socks because I’m old, fat, and have years worth of cumulative injury. Love them, they are designed to improve venous return. That being said, ALWAYS consult your physician to make sure it’s OK for your circumstances. There are some conditions where wearing compression socks is contraindicated.

4 years ago I experienced a DVT/PE. Yes, my DVT is still there and I will be in blood thinners for the rest of my life. I was back in the saddle the following year. I suspect that there might be something wrong with your riding biomechanics. You know when you are laid up for a while you lose strength and flexibility. Find someone to watch you and video tape you. Something is off. You are tight somewhere. Find a personal trainer or a physical therapist who can give you some stretching and strengthening exercises.