Riding after Shoulder Joint Replacement

Quick Background: I’ve been to 3 orthopedic surgeons, had many cortisone shots, several XRays, an MRI and they all say that my glenohumeral joint is bone on bone with bone spurs here and there. I did have arthroscopic surgery about 2 yrs ago for impingement syndrome and that helped slightly. I have also done PT.

The reason I went to the surgeons is because I could no longer reach high enough with my right arm to put a halter or bridle on - not even for my 14.2H horse. I could do it, one ear at a time using my left arm. Funny but it never seemed to bother me once I was riding :slight_smile:

Here’s the problem: All 3 Docs say that I should have shoulder replacement BUT if I do, I should NOT RIDE HORSES. They say that if I fall off and hit the shoulder, the humerus could easily break and it would then be very difficult to rebuild the shoulder. I keep telling them that I’m not yet ready to give up riding as I’m only 71yr so I am currently dealing with the poor ROM and the pain.

Just wondering if anyone on this forum has had shoulder replacement surgery and if so, did they ride again?

Also, I was wondering if falling off a horse and landing on the shoulder, actually does break the humerus…most of the falls I know about, seem to break the collarbone instead.

TIA,

Mary in western NY

I had shoulder replacement almost 2 years ago. I was off for 12 weeks, then my doc said I could ride. I have come off once, but didn’t hit the shoulder. Nobody has said the humerus would break.

That said, the shoulder replacement was difficult to recover from. I was very weak with my right arm/shoulder for many months, even though I did PT religiously. I got ROM back to almost normal very quickly, but had pain for a long time. NOT the same pain. So, I just now realized how I can now sleep on that side and am pretty much back to normal.

Lots of ice and PT. But my surgeon never even suggested not riding…

1 Like

I’m only 69, so I hope you’ll read a post from a younger rider…

I haven’t had a replacement, but my right shoulder subluxed for years, would pop out and go back in. I was volunteering at a therapy center. It popped while grooming a bay mare and I had to go to the ER. Surgery to repair it. Recovery was a lot of work, but went well, and it will never go out according to the surgeon.

A couple of years later, my own horse stumbled on trail ride and went down on his knees. I rolled off nicely and avoided breaking anything but shredded a lot of my right brachial plexus. Now I have no infraspinatus and lost substantial function in the biceps and deltoid. It adversely affects a lot of things, including my riding, but I’ve adapted with occasional frustration.

A couple years after that I got home from feeding up for the BO, who was out of town. Slipped on black ice in my driveway, fell on the bad arm and broke the humerus just above my elbow. Three days in the hospital with a lot of hardware installed, which is still there but not a problem. Long recovery. The brachial plexus problem is still there and will be forever.

So I’m beat up, but the surgeon chuckles and says “what is it about you horse people?” I’m a casual rider at walk/trot and haven’t gone off in a long time, except for one huge spook last year caused by a fellow rider. I’d talk to another orthopedist, hopefully one who knows horses, before I’d be willing to give up riding. Julie Goodnight did a terrific presentation on riding until you are 90 at Equine Affaire. I intend to follow her suggestions for maintaining and improving balance, core strength, flexibility, and posture.

1 Like

Loving hearing about you ladies. I have shoulder impingement. And I’m “only” 66.

Thanks for all the responses.

draftxfan so sorry to hear this. I still think it’s not the normal bone to break when you fall off a horse.

Iberianfan - interesting to know you are still riding and that your Dr didn’t suggest you shouldn’t.You said you got your ROM back pretty quickly. Hmm, my doc said I would be unlikely to get any more ROM after replacement than I have now which isn’t a lot. Glad the replacement has worked out for you. I think I’m going to wait it out as long as I can. Some days I’d like to have it done NOW and other days, I can deal with the pain and lack of ROM.

walktrot- Your brachial plexus problem sounds very difficult to deal with. So sorry this and the broken humerus have happened to you. Your surgeon sounds like the ones I encounter in the ER when I go in for X-rays. They can’t believe how many former broken ribs I have. I didn’t get to Equine Affair but am still doing PT and also trying to do some core and flexibility exercises but it’s hard when things are hurting.

HPFarmette you are lucky you are only 66. I felt pretty good till I hit 69. If you have shoulder impingement, I’d suggest to get it fixed arthroscopically. It’s not a bad surgery and not that bad of a recovery. If I didn’t have the bone on bone in the joint, I’m sure my having the impingement surgery would have helped me a lot more.

Mary in western NY

Mary in western NY: why would you not get back most of ROM if it’s just your shoulder joint? So, I just did a little Google research and there is some evidence of breaking the humerus post-arthroplasty. Treatment seems to be pretty effective, but it would be scary to think about the break to begin with. I had an excellent surgeon and trust him. He also did my hip replacement, which, compared to the shoulder, was a walk in the park. Pun intended.

But again, he knew I rode, and he cleared me to ride again. After both joint replacements. The chances of us falling are just getting greater and greater, you could fall off your back steps, a street curb…If you horse is as safe as a horse can be, I would think twice about quitting. It keeps us active and involved. But I do agree I would postpone as long as possible. Given the time to recover and feel somewhat normal, I probably should have just lived with it for a while longer. As of now, I’m not sorry, but it will be 2 years in January since surgery.

Good luck, keep us posted, and tally ho!