Riding after the Big "H"

“H”= hysterectomy - as in total (uterus, ovaries, Fallopian tubes, the works!)

I’ve had (diagnosed) endometriosis for about 11 years with two open (not laproscopic) abdominal procedures in 2004 and 2005. One was quite invasive. I remember the recovery and all, but at the time of these surgeries, I did not have horses and did not ride. Oddly enough, the whole endo thing was what led me to GET into horses in the first place, and now here I am with two active TWH geldings (5 and 13).

Considering having the surgery because a) I’m done with being on Depo; b) I’m not using these parts; and c) it will prevent female related abdominal cancers in the future.

The horses will need exercise if I do this surgery in Jan or Feb.
How long does it take to get back to riding? I can likely have my trainer and son’s GF ride the horses, but would like to get an idea of how long I will be out of commission (keep in mind- open surgery vs laprscopic or vaginal).

I am thinking more and more about this as my co-worker/friend is dealing what very likely sounds like ovarian cancer at age 60. I am 45 now. I’ve been through ab surgeries and my obgyn is ready for me to go through with it whenever I am ready. It will be open- too much scar tissue to be any done any other way.

Would appreciate any riding rehab stories post female surgery to help give me an idea of what to expect. Thanks!

I got on my trusty 17h gelding (walking) 2 weeks after Ovarian cancer/hysterectomy. Mind you I would not have trusted ANY of my other horses. I was rating my recovery by the distance I could walk up and down my hilly driveway. I know it’s a naff thing to say, but, listen to your body. Everybody is different.

I didn’t get back on for almost 12 weeks after a lap…but a lot of that was due to the risk of vaginal dihescence in that type of surgery.

Having said that - the first time I went to work the pony on the ground was at 6 weeks, and I was totally pooped for the rest of the day…

2 weeks after light grooming, and hanging out with the ponies, but they are saints. 12 weeks till I started riding, my biggest complaint was I was tired all the time for the first month.

Had mine at 50. Also open. It was about a month until grooming lightly. (but my attention was taken up with a surprise cancer diagnosis) Was on and walking around at about 7 or 8 weeks. Took at least another month to do much more.

I had a vaginal hyst in Oct 2012. I stayed off the horse for 6 weeks. For that surgery, 4 weeks is the usual but I had a couple spots on the vaginal cuff that weren’t healed. MD cauterized and said 2 more weeks. I listened to her…I didn’t want things coming apart and putting things where they didn’t belong:no:. Even with the open incision, there is a lot of stitches on the inside that you want to heal up without issue.

I took up lunging her after a couple weeks. Nicely trained horse that was way past the silly stuff.

So…I would go by what your MD says. They usually go for longer rather than shorter but I just listen. I could get her some exercise by lunging. Tried to keep that to a minimum for her joints but got her some exercise 3x/week. Not long after I got back on her the weather turned COLD. I am becoming a weather wimp. Then I had another surgery on my foot in January. My pony just had the winter off. She survived and it didn’t take long to get her back in shape.

Good luck…Susan

First of all, I wish you good luck with your surgery.

I had “the works” removed 20 years ago. It was a vaginal attempt, but I hemorrhaged badly and ended up with the hipbone to hipbone incision. I was back in the saddle in 6 weeks, though I took it easy.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Sounds like about what I would expect. I remember all the fatigue post operatively- that is the worst. I can imagine just getting on and walking a few laps would be exhausting. I went to the store with my mom after one of the surgeries and got a wheelchair because I was so pooped out.

For those who had cancer diagnosis- I am hoping the fact you are here writing is a testament to a good outcome, and also gives my friend hope. Based on her CT scan, only the one mass found, so that is encouraging.

I see my MD tomorrow. Will keep you updated.

When I had it done I asked the surgeon to make the incision vertical so that they would not be cutting through my abdominal muscles - more pulling them apart ! That way the core muscles were not damaged.

I don’t mean to scare you and I am sure you have discussed options with your treatment providers. I recently came across this article and thought it would be prudent to share given this thread:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/826156

I’m not a doctor and I don’t play one on tv!

[QUOTE=Mouse&Bay;8397637]
I don’t mean to scare you and I am sure you have discussed options with your treatment providers. I recently came across this article and thought it would be prudent to share given this thread:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/826156

Thanks but again, I would NOT be having either a laparoscopic or vaginal hysterectomy. Mine would be an open abdominal procedure where all the organs can be visualized. I have far too much scar tissue from prior surgeries and endo for a laparoscopic procedure to be done. They did attempt laparoscopic in 2005, but ended up cutting me open and using my prior incision.

While the above article is a very unfortunate situation, I still believe patients should be able to weigh risks and make informed choices.

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy 2 years ago. I couldn’t ride for 6 weeks. After that, I rode somewhat sparingly as my husband had health troubles.
I WILL say that my doctor told me that I was by no means typical as 8 hours after surgery, I quit taking pain meds and went home the day after surgery. Honestly, I told my surgeon that knee surgery was FAR MORE DIFFICULT to recover from than the hysterectomy!

FWIW, IMO this is one surgery to obey the surgeon’s restrictions regarding post-surgical activity. You don’t want to be dealing with more surgery down the road because you stressed the surgeon’s lovely repair skills :slight_smile:

I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy, appendectomy, and endometriosis excision surgery all in one four years ago. It was a pretty extensive surgery in spite of being laparoscopic. Two weeks post-op I could groom my horse but I wasn’t back on until 8 weeks post-op and that really felt like it was too soon. It wasn’t until closer to 12 weeks that I could start doing any kind of serious riding.

I was very painful after my surgery but I think most of the pain was from the endometriosis excision (grade III). Ironically enough, my biggest problem was that I lost so much core strength from the surgery that I actually hurt my back moving hay around 16 weeks post-op, which took months to heal. My best advice would be to take enough time to heal and don’t push too fast. Good luck, I hope you will feel better!

[QUOTE=Clair2014;8398933]
I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy, appendectomy, and endometriosis excision surgery all in one four years ago. It was a pretty extensive surgery in spite of being laparoscopic. Two weeks post-op I could groom my horse but I wasn’t back on until 8 weeks post-op and that really felt like it was too soon. It wasn’t until closer to 12 weeks that I could start doing any kind of serious riding.

I was very painful after my surgery but I think most of the pain was from the endometriosis excision (grade III). Ironically enough, my biggest problem was that I lost so much core strength from the surgery that I actually hurt my back moving hay around 16 weeks post-op, which took months to heal. My best advice would be to take enough time to heal and don’t push too fast. Good luck, I hope you will feel better![/QUOTE]

Wow, that’s a lot done at once. Endo definitely sucks. Mine is stage 4 :frowning: MD did say today that despite my extensive scar tissue and adhesions, there is now robotic surgery that may be a possibility for me. Unfortunately, I would require coordinated efforts from a general surgeon, obgyn, and my urologist (first surgery involved endometrioma infiltrating the bladder).

Well, horse may need MPL surgery for upward patellar fixation now, so who knows when I’ll be able to do mine?? :confused:

[QUOTE=TWH Girl;8399249]
Wow, that’s a lot done at once. Endo definitely sucks. Mine is stage 4 :frowning: MD did say today that despite my extensive scar tissue and adhesions, there is now robotic surgery that may be a possibility for me. Unfortunately, I would require coordinated efforts from a general surgeon, obgyn, and my urologist (first surgery involved endometrioma infiltrating the bladder).

Well, horse may need MPL surgery for upward patellar fixation now, so who knows when I’ll be able to do mine?? :confused:[/QUOTE]

Endometriosis is awful! I really hope you can get some relief. Sorry to hear about your horse too! My horse had to have colic surgery the same year I had my surgery so we recovered together. I never want to go through all that again. Best wishes!

I had a total hysterectomy when I was 34 because of stage 4 endo and multiple fibroids, already had 4 laparoscopies and was the only thing left to do. I’m 47 now. I think it was about 7 weeks before I started lightly riding, but took it easy for two months after that and increased little by little. I started driving my car after 3 weeks, picking my toddler daughter after two.
Have to say I felt so so much better about 2 weeks after the surgery. Best decision I’ve ever made. Good luck!

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy on September 14th. The incision was large - probably 9" or so. I was cleared to start riding at 7 weeks and like any crazy horse woman, I raced to the barn to get on my horse. Yikes. I had zero stomach muscles. Getting on was not too bad. I had someone hold my very quiet, sweet horse and used my arms to support myself. Started walking and felt like I had never ridden in my life. It was a very disconcerting feeling.

Getting off was horrible. If you think about how your core helps hold you up while you swing a leg then you know that if there isn’t a core, swinging a leg isn’t easy. I gave myself three more weeks and just rode again today. Much better!

The mounting and walking were great. Posting trot I could definitely feel the lack of muscle tone but it was OK. Dismounting was easier but still not like it was.

My advice is don’t push it if you proceed with the surgery. Listen to your body and let it heal.

(I also did core strengthening exercises between weeks 7 and 11)

I’m having a lap hysterectomy on January 8th. I’m keeping my ovaries but everything else will be going. I had early cancerous cells removed from my cervix in the summer. My doctor recommended this as a preventative or more issues in the future. I don’t have to do it but I think it will give me peace of mind. I’m terrified but my surgeon says I will be able to ride after 6 weeks. I could not view the article posted above. Did it say something about lap hysterectomies? I’m trying to do all my research first. I’m worried I wont be able to ride again.