Riding after Total Hip Replacement Surgery

@Where’sMyWhite Surgeon says it takes 12 weeks for bone grafting to complete, so I’m loath to do any serious chores prior to that. I don’t plan on riding until at least six to nine months out. I really want to build up my overall strength and not compromise anything the surgeon has done for me! I want the new hips to last and the muscles and ligaments to be healed. I have rehabbed a couple of suspensory and tendon injuries in horses over the years so I know it takes a long time. I’m having anterior surgery, so hopefully I’ll be dealing with stretched but not cut soft tissue! I am surprised by people pushing it really early on, particularly after anterior surgery (as because of the muscle sparing, the first six weeks aren’t as tough as with other approaches). From what I hear, if one pushes it too soon, one ends up with tendonitis and other soft tissue issue, in addition to prosthesis loosening etc.
2tempe Thanks for the inspiration re: the 82 year old boarder at your barn!!! :slight_smile:

I waited til 16 weeks post op, (left, posterior approach) but then started riding 4-5 days a week right away and tried a few dressage lessons with a new trainer I really clicked with. I had groin pain/inner thigh pain from putting weight in my left seat bone or putting left leg on. It got worse, ended up going back to PT and was diagnosed with an iliopsoas impingement, which they told me is not uncommon after THR. Exercises are slooowly helping; I do short easy trail rides (less than an hour) but still have some pain a year later.
I am fortunate to have a part-lease with a mother daughter team who adore my mare and are conscientious caretakers, so my girl is still getting all the work and treats she needs with the 3 of us. Maybe I should have eased into it? Except for this one issue, I have almost zero pain now. Trying to even just sit on my horse before the op was pretty close to agony. Now one year later, I have normal range of motion, have times I don’t even think about the replacement, so I’m still glad I did it.

1 Like

I will be having a THR in the near future at the age of 71, but keeping fit as best as I can, does anyone have any opionions on posterior vs. anterior approach? There is also a new “less invasive” approach done posterior which allows patients to go home the next day, albeit with restrictions/PT. Would appreciate any feedback.

I just have a posterior THR 6 weeks ago (age 56). I feel great, but will wait 2 more weeks to get on my horses. I am lunging them now and doing most barn chores except emptying the wheel barrel and lifting feed bags. I feel like I could ride now, but everyone says wait!

1 Like

My DH had an anterior approach 18 months ago. Spent one night in the hospital and could walk well enough w/a walker the next morning that he came home. He did his PT and rehab to the letter. Surgery was late Sept 2016 and he rode for the first time in early March 2017. Winters are dreary and wet here so we planned it that way :slight_smile:

He wishes now he’d done it sooner. He limped too long!

Hi, I was the gal who posted about bilateral anterior surgery date last month (Sept). I ended up not having bilateral but having my hips done one at a time. Also ended up having posterior approach as that is what my surgeon prefers to do. I am four weeks out from first hip. Was out of hospital the next day. I am walking in the house unassisted part of the time and part of the time with a hiking pole. Second hip surgery Nov 8. It is good to read that others were getting back to barn chores after six weeks. I want to be careful not to over do it to soon. It is an amazing surgery. Will post again after second surgery, to give encouragement to others going through the same thing!

@mtf anterior has quicker ambulation in first six weeks because less muscle disturbed. However, new hip capsule formation still takes six weeks, and bone grafting of protheses still takes 10 . - 12 weeks no matter what approach. The other approach to check out is called “super-path” during which they don’t actually dislocate the hip like in other approaches. You can watch simulated versions of each surgical approach on youtube!

Bravo !! Thanks for updating and sharing your good recovery news ~. Push onward !

Good Luck ~ Jingles & AO
!

1 Like

Posting again to say I had my second surgery on Nov 16 (changed from Nov 8). I had posterior approach but was walking right after surgery and went home the same day. After first hip I was back doing barn chores at 7 weeks post op. This second surgery hip is improving faster than first hip, but not fast enough! Looking forward to getting back to riding in the new year! It is amazing, no arthritis pain!

I am in thought process to have the surgery or not. I am only 45 but have severe arthritis of my L hip. Riding kills me! I have had 1 cortisone injection which didn’t work. So I won’t do that again. I’m not an ideal candidate for impingement correction. The dr said it’s a long shot that it would work. I’d be laid up for at least 16 weeks with no weight bearing for 6. He said I couldn’t ride for a year if I had a THR. When researching and talking with people that had it done (and are older than I am), they said they were on their horse doing light riding by 4-6 mos. Has anyone on here had this done at a young age? I kind of just want it done and over with since it will be the end result anyway. Just not sure I want to be unable to ride for a year. I trail ride on gaited horses. They are very good boys and they take care of me. I can handle not doing long technical rides for a bit, but simple trail riding seems like it would be ok. Thoughts?

I had impingement surgery at 51, some older than you, but not that much. My xrays looked clean but when they got in there the cartilage was actually quite beat up. The op was a total fail and I ended up bone on bone @ 5 months out. The hip replacement was a walk in the park compared to FAI surgery.

The newer bearing surfaces are expected to last 30+ years, so I’m not too worried about the age thing.

Dont know where the “no riding for a year” came from…it would have been 6 mos + w the FAI surgery; hip replacement doc said 3 months.

Thought I would add my experience. I had THR on the right in September 2016, age 60, due to genetic osteoarthritis (geez, thanks, Mom and Dad!). My surgeon used the anterior approach. I was walking with a walker and navigating up and down stairs, about 2 hours after surgery. I went home the next morning. I used a private PT facility that specializes in rehabbing people who are going back into some sort of sport. I worked with the PT 3 days a week and did a series of at-home exercises for the other 4 days. I was back in the saddle after 5 weeks. IMO, good PT is essential to regaining flexibility and strength.

1 Like

Hello, thought I would add my two cents. Just had my second THR anterior in September. My doc restricted my riding until 12 weeks, which was December 26. I rode yesterday first time, got on without a mounting block! Everything was great! Have my joy back. But, this cat jumped down off the stairs in front of my mare as we were lopeing around the arena, she completely spooked, and I fell off! Couldn’t believe it. But I am fine, my butt is a bit sore, the ground was very soft. I am glad I waited until 12 weeks. I was tempted to ride sooner, because after all, what could possibly “go wrong” . Sobered me up to remember anything can happen, and I must be vigilant. Riding around in a cloud of joy was not smart. Be careful you horse hippies, do what your doc says, and pay attention. I was alone, but did have two people around when I first got on, then sent them away cuz everything was GREAT. no one was around to witness my shame…I got back on the horse and rode for awhile longer.

1 Like

I’m glad you weren’t injured. I have two riding friends who had hip replacements, one is a pro so of course she continues to ride but the other was 80 years old and still actively riding and jumping up until her hip replacement surgery. Her surgeon was adamant that she not ride and risk a fall that could damage the new hip and force her to go through it all again. She found the rehab much harder than anticipated even though she was very spry and in great physical shape otherwise and was not willing to risk an injury so she no longer rides.

I have 2 riding friends who’ve had both hips done. Friend 1, man, age 77 when he had both hips done about 10 years ago. He is a distance rider and was back in the saddle, I believe 2 months post surgery. He is still distance riding today.

Friend 2, woman, age 60 had her 2nd hip done yesterday! She was riding 6 weeks post-op on first hip. I assume will be the same for the 2nd assuming recovery/rehab goes smoothly. She is a jumper rider.

Neither of their surgeons told them not to ride again. If they had, I’m sure they wouldn’t have listened, but it never came up.

I picked my surgeon because his wife is a very accomplished dressage trainer. I figured if anyone knew the particulars of riding, he would and he did. He said I would be back in the saddle in no time. I had a lesser known approach called Super Path (right hip in 2014). They don’t cut any of the muscles so I didn’t have any of the precautions of the posterior approach. My hip is not cemented. I started PT the first week post-op. I was back on my horse at the 4 1/2 week mark. I was able to mount and dismount by myself. Granted the first couple weeks were easy walking sessions but only onward and upward from there.

Susan

I hope to make it to 80, awesome she did not have to have a new hip till then. I’m 56, my surgeon told me I, should not take on any new sports, but since I ride and ski already, he said I could continue my active life style. At 80, I might very well consider it to be time to slow down. There is always risk riding and skiing, and that goes for anybody, I wasn’t willing to change my lifestyle at this point. Otherwise I would have just brute forced It and continued living in pain. I am always thinking about the possibility of falling. Especially after the other day. More so, and I am much stronger riding now then I have been, my riding is feeling really good after a week of getting back in sync with my mare.

I wish this thread had been available at the time of my friend’s surgery but that was 5 years ago so I don’t think she would resume riding now. But I’m glad to hear you all have had such positive results and continue to enjoy riding your horses.