Riding during chemotherapy

The opening of this new forum is apropos for me at the moment. I’m finally back online after six weeks, during which I was diagnosed with breast cancer, had a double mastectomy, an IVF collection squeezed under the wire, and finally started the first of six chemo rounds yesterday. I am told by my doctors that exercise and riding during this “Alice in Wonderland” phase of my life will be good for my mental and physical well being, so I absolutely plan to keep it up. Just stopping by the barn today to say hi to the boys and to barn friends was a great dose of normalcy in what has been otherwise a completely chaotic month. I know, however, that with my compromised immune system I will need to take it a little easier than normal to avoid accidents and exhaustion. Have any of you gone through this and what steps did you take or suggestions do you have to allow yourself to keep riding while minimizing your risks for injury and infection? Thanks!

No suggestions, except to say let your time with your horses help heal you inside and out, but here are some gentle {{{hugs}}} for all you have been through. :slight_smile:

Pooy for you. Chemo stinks.
I rode a few times a week, depending on if it was the week I had chemo.
I was able to go to a show, take a lesson, but did not ride five/six days a week like usual. I do know people who were able to event, but I fell short of that. Sometimes I just walked. It still felt good, though.
Good luck and hang in there. I had no problems with infections, etc. and I run a barn so was there everyday.
PM me if I can help you any. I got a lot of support here.
Kathi

I didn’t ride during chemo. It just tired me out too much. I could barely get to the barn and groom my horses. When chemo exhaustion hits, it’s not like normal tiredness. It’s like you have to rest RIGHT NOW. I do know people who rode through chemo without problems. People react to it differently. Also, when you lose your hair, you lose all your hair, if you get my drift, and that can make riding uncomfortable. The good news is that within a few months it should be behind you and you’re back to a new normal.

I rode considerably less during chemo. But… I did get to ride in a clinic with Will Simpson!! Still remember it. Very cool.

I have no suggestions either. But I would like to share a story about a friend who had radical double mastectomy as well and continued to ride throughout her chemo. This was how I found out that she had cancer.

We were at a horse trial in the middle of June. Her husband and I had both finished our rides and were under the gooseneck of the trailer, getting out of the sun. Marion comes up looking a bit ragged and beat. She had just gotten off of XC and put her horse up in its stall. She sits down and asks for a water and kicks back to relax and get her breath. Her husband grabs a water and and takes care of a few other things for her when she says, “Man this chemo just takes it out of me.” Not knowing that she even had cancer, I ask for a bit more clarification. Marion explains she had just had her second or third chemo the day or two ahead of the competition and it just tears her up. I look at her, look at the XC course and then her husband and state, “We can NEVER complain again about anything.”

Good luck and my best wishes are with you.

Reed

My DH did, but depending on how he felt. Some days he would just walk, others it was o.k. lets go:D. Sometimes he would just hang out & watch us. It can be done but everyone has different tolerances, and some days are harder than others.
Good luck!

You might e-mail Leena who posts in the dressage forum. Shes a great inspiration http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=222614&highlight

Thanks everyone, yes, I suspect the days will be up and down. The hardest part for me at the moment is just not really knowing what to expect. Yesterday I didn’t feel too badly, but today I’m exhausted and just trying to motivate to get out of bed. It’s good to know that people are still out there, riding and competing despite everything, though.

I did buy a little beenie-thing to go underneath my helmet to for extra cushion when my hair starts to go, and a couple people have recommended wearing dust masks when I groom and ride in the indoor… I just don’t know if that is being too paranoid, though.

You will just have to see how it goes for you. It can be everything from what Reed described above, to completely out of it, just depending on how your body reacts to the particular chemo you are on and what level of support drugs you need/can tolerate.

For me, the first couple of days I was more bothered by the druggy feeling of the anti-nausea and immune support drugs. The third and fourth day were the extreme fatigue, needing to stop twice walking back up the gentle slope from the barn to the house and then sleeping till the next feeding. I was able to keep up with feeding (for two horses) but had a college student from our equestrian club come and do the mucking. After those two days, it took about three more days to get back to normal, but I had to push myself throug it or I wouldn’t sleep at night. The rest of the three weeks between my six infusions (TAC) were fairly normal.

The hair loss bothered me not a whit. I wore a bandana under my helmet and went about my business, riding as much as I normally do after those first few days after each infusion (3-6 days/week, depending on weather–mostly whether or not it rained, since mine was during the summer, best time to be bald, but not best time to have to wear a wig to work). I was scheduled to ride in a major clinic just as the hair was coming back in (after chemo, before radiation), and was wondering if that would be an issue, but it was not, and I was in the saddle 3 hrs per day for four days straight. I am not of a bony build, though, if you get my drift; maybe the extra padding helped there.

I have a desk-type job and was able to work during chemo. I’d miss the day of the infusion, mine were on Fridays, and be back in the office a half-day on the following Wednesday, full days after that. People at work were supportive, but I was able to do what was required of me for the most part (we let someone else from my unit cover very public appearance type things).

I was able to get good immune support (neulasta, thanks for good insurance!) and had no problems in that regard, was in the barn every day. My immune system is generally pretty stout and I’m sure I was just plain lucky, but if you can tolerate the good support, and your barn isn’t a pigsty, you should be able to get horsey fixes throughout.

Just take it as it comes, and take advantage of the help offered to you by friends. And we will be here to support you as well; as shea’smom said, please feel free to PM. She was just ahead of me in the process and was a wonderful source of support, as any of us will be glad to be for you.

Nothing to add on the riding part, since I was not/am not a rider, but horse time while my daughter was taking lessons was good for me!

Also, in order to feel in control, I did not wait until my hair started to fall. I was told I would lose my hair about 2 weeks after the first chemo session, so I planned accordingly. I ordered a wig and when it came in, I had my head shaved. I never had the trauma of my hair staying on my pillow or falling in the drain of the shower. That helped me a lot!

I was never sick during chemo, never felt really THAT tired, kept on with my daily routine (worked out of home, cooked meals, walked the dog, drove kids around), but also relaxed quite a bit. One side effect (to me anyway): I seem to have lost my concentration since chemo. I have a hard time reading a book for instance. Magazines are fine, a book, unless the storyline grabs me… not so much!

It’s been 10 years for me and as a present to myself after the hair came back, I started taking riding lessons and we eventually bought a horse for my daughter (and for me to love!). She is now retired and we still love her.

Good luck! Hang in there! Time will fly. I can’t believe it’s been that long for me and have forgotten a lot of the bad times (which were mostly before surgery and chemo~ oh the fear of it all~~)

This http://www.dslrf.org/ is a very helpful website to read, and Dr Love’s Book helped me a lot, to understand what was going on and how things would happen. The worst thing is the fear that you will feel, but you can mostly lose that by finding out all you can about the desease. When you are armed with the knowledge, then you can refuse to let it affect you. That sounds stupid, but the best thing I did was refuse to bend and carried on as normal. My horses helped a lot, and seemed to understand that something wasn’t right. They are your VERY BEST support.

Aboesche,
One thing I did , I had to realize that I was doing VERY IMPORTANT WORK!! i.e. fighting cancer. I did some of that sleeping and watching Bridezilla, that’s all. I had to come to terms with not pushing myself to work, like I was being whimpy. I was able to teach clinics, judge, school xc, take lessons, all sorts of stuff, but NOT the wed. after chemo.
You’ll find your schedule.
lolalola, that is funny, but true about the hair! I kinda felt like, gimme a break!
Bald is beautiful. :cool:

True, except I still had to shave my legs!!! I could not believe that I had no hair anywhere BUT there!!!

Please do be careful and keep your hands and environment clean…It is amazing how quickly you can get sick. A surgical mask of some sort over your mouth is not a bad idea at all… Like the others, I slept when I needed to and took care of me. I let other people take care of me for the first time that I can remember. I did not have breast cancer and the drugs I took did not cause hair loss but nausia was a “huge” problem… 36 infusions later I am alive and riding… Keep up the good fight and know we are all rooting for you!:yes::yes:

I didn’t ride at all during my chemo. But then I had leukaemia so also had no immunity and no blood clotting factor and a red cell count that was so low I struggled to get out of bed to go to the bathroom and some days just breathing and having sufficient oxygen was hard work.

I basically took time out to rest and let my body recover from the nuclear reactor strength cytotoxic chemical cocktail.

I did spend a lot of time just sitting or standing about with the horses. For me their smell is like aromatherapy.

Just take each day as it comes and listen to your body and do what feels right. Don’t feel pressurised in any way - even by a sense of your own stubbornness and dogged determination or failure to admit your ill and vulnerable to push yourself beyond what your body is telling you that it needs.

All of you who have battled that disease are an inspiration to the rest of us whiners. Although I haven’t had it, several barn friends have. The best advice I can give you is tell your barn friends what you are dealing with. Doesn’t have to be graphic detail, but whenever the rest of us knew, we all helped a little more. And graciously accept help that is offered- now is the time to be extra good to yourself and to accept what the world offers for support.

Thomas’ post reminds me that a side effect of immune support drugs can be spleen enlargement. This means that any kind of fall can be a critical event (ruptured spleen can lead to massive bleeding). So, if your chemo is followed by immune support drugs, not riding for about a week is a good idea. I asked my medical oncologist about this, and she thought riding during chemo wasn’t a great idea anyway (a bit of a city girl, she is), but that since I was fairly healthy otherwise and my bloodwork was always good, that I probably wasn’t having much spleen reaction. And my riding during chemo was very tame.

NO NO NO it is not being parinoid to wear a mask while working with horses or the barn during chemo. In fact you better…

It is amazing how important those nose hairs are to human health. Take them away and there goes your first line of dust defense. Wear the mask every single time you go to the barn.

I never bothered with a mask. Only because they’re just not effective in terms of protecting the wearer. Masks are more for protecting other people from what is being breathed out by the wearer.

Before I was diagnosed I had a spleen that was so enlarged it basically stopped me eating and led to massive weight loss and difficulty breathing - but then I didn’t know what was wrong! When I first was diagnosed I had a conversation which went something along the lines of “how didn’t you put all these symptoms together? And look at the abnormal bruising on your legs?” I replied “what’s abnormal about it” The response was “It looks like you’ve been kicked by a horse”. I replied “I have!”
I’d been kicked by a 3 day old foal who gave me both back barrels… HARD!!!

I also often recount the tale of my (Non horsey) Consultant who (when I was at my most vulnerable) said “It would be dangerous to ride because of the risks but carriage driving would be perfectly safe” :winkgrin:

Since then we’ve got to know each other very well and he’s come to understand that what I actually did was horse driving trials multiples and I’ve even taken him for a blast round a cross country course for a white knuckle ride! We often have a laugh about the day he said “driving would be perfectly safe”