Unlimited access >

Riding horse with suspensory "injury"

I have two questions kind of: (1) would you do it? (2) have you done it and what were the results?

So…I have a TB who was ‘injured’ in the pasture about six years ago. It was a splint and he was rested and rehabbed but chronic lameness continued (mild lameness usually in clay footing). One day I went out and he was three legged lame. Vet out, ultrasounded hind suspensories and determined that to be the cause. Distorted fiber patterns on the left (mid way up the leg) but no sign of a tear anywhere. Normal on the right. Diagnosed as DSLD (which didn’t sit right with me then and still doesn’t) and told he would probably only have another year or two. We iced/rested and reevaluated in six months with no real change. Repeated for another year. Same thing. Now, he wasn’t really lame anymore, but he was dropped quite a bit. We decided to retire him. He had a few scares over the years where he’d be a moron in the pasture and cause flares and now his left hind suspensory is distorted along the entire length (branches to upper). He’s not dropped as bad (a little above the vertical when resting and doesn’t touch the ground even when trotting/cantering).

HOWEVER, he’s now been compensating for so long that his left stifle is incredibly weak, and he’s rolling his right hip. My vet STILL insists it’s suspensory lameness even though a block on the suspensory changes nothing (still same level of lame, not even a fraction better). X-Rays of the stifle and hock show nothing wrong structurally (mild flattening but no sign of arthritis or anything else). She’s wanting me to go in to the clinic to spend $500+ on an ultrasound of the suspensory/SI/etc. She’ll do an injection in the stifle as well. I asked about chiropractic and acupuncture and she said it won’t help anything because his suspensory problem is so acute. But he ISN’T LAME ON IT. He hasn’t been for years aside from a few pasture accidents.

Is it wrong of me to get him adjusted and do some light riding to build up his top line so he doesn’t hurt himself more? I’m not talking about hours of trotting and cantering, just a 10-20 minutes of walking and a little trotting in the pasture or on a trail. He runs himself around the pasture like a mad man because he’s so frustrated to be out of a job. I’m thinking he’ll hurt himself more doing that than if I give him a job and hop on him three or four times a week (obviously keeping in mind his limitations especially at first and taking it day by day).

The neighbor where I board is a true cowboy and he said he’d take the horse to rope steer tomorrow because horses are made to work. While I’m NOT interested in that, he made a lot of good points about horses needing a job (especially this horse. We were riding 6-7 days a week before his pasture injury and he loved every minute of his eventing career). I think a lot of my horse’s issues are lack of work. He’s kicking in his stall (started about six months after I stopped riding him) and he’s mildly aggressive in the pasture (nothing bad but he makes his pasture mates run with him every morning when they go out and every afternoon around dinner time).

We’ve ruled out any acute injuries in the ultrasounds and x-rays (Suspensories, hocks, stifles both sides). But he’s still lame in his stifle and hip which I am convinced is due to his compensation. Honestly if he doesn’t improve I’d rather put him down than let him waste away in the pasture for another six years. I know that sounds harsh, but it’s already been six years and when I hopped on him yesterday and he just about fell over backwards trying to show me he remembered all of our dressage practice. He’s miserable just existing and he is my best friend and my heart horse. I’ve owned him(or he’s owned me really) for nine years and the last thing I want to do is cause him pain. But in trying not to hurt him by letting him “be a horse” I think I’ve hurt him, mentally, even worse.

So the questions: 1. would you ride him and get him adjusted by a chiropractor or not? and 2. Have you ever done this and what was the result?

EDIT: I said “injury” because there was never a tear six years ago and hasn’t in any ultrasound since (every 6 months for the first two years, then every year after that).

I think it might be worth a try. You obviously care enough about him to stop if he gets worse or shows he is in pain.

Not quite the same situation, but my first horse was one that needed a job too. At one time he decided I was not working him frequently enough and quit eating until I rode him. So I made sure I rode him, even when I had another horse to ride. As he got older he was content with shorter, easier rides but I still had to ride him often.

Another horse I owned had a permanent issue with his hock. He started to carry himself crooked so he didn’t have to flex it as much, and I just let him do it as he was more comfortable. We just did what he was capable and willing to do. In the end he was okay not having a job (maybe hacked him 3-4 times a month).

I’m not sure I follow…is there any inflammation or damage evident on the ultrasound of the supensories or not? If not, then yes, it may be worthwhile to try some controlled reconditioning of the weak areas to see if that makes a positive difference on soundness.

I wouldn’t do more than short walks on good footing for a long time, maybe ever. Could you pony him instead? The fact that it is dropped at all would concern me.

I’m in the 7th month of dealing with a hind suspensory injury. Horse currently - on vet check - trots sound when trotting out strongly, is short behind if not pushed. He tracks up and overtracks at the walk. We have been walking under saddle since late Nov. 2015, 45 mins to 60 mins, with intervals of “marching” walk, then casual walk. We are now trotting two long sides of the arena (just started Saturday) and I’m supposed to add 2 long sides every three days, while monitoring for any heat or swelling. He also had shockwave, but improvement was minimal. But anyway, lots of walking, preferably on firm ground, and now just starting a bit of trotting. Another vet check in six weeks.

I have an 18 YO OTTB that sounds like he might have a similar past. The good news is he is WTC now and sounder and saner than ever before.

Rewind to 2007. He had arthritis in his hocks and was sound with maintenance (Supplements, injections etc). he was a delight to ride, beginner safe and would pack around a 2’9" course and do most 1-2nd level dressage. 2010-ish he had some behavioral issues and was diagnosed with a hind suspensory tear. his answer to anything not perfect was to bolt, oh the fun, NOT! 4 weeks of stall rest and he was Horrible! Kicking, biting, rearing, you name it awful! I sent him to a field to “retire” where he lived for 2 years until my DH and I bought a farm.

Once home it took about 8 months over the winter to get his weight back, and lots of slow groundwork. Things had been going well till he decided to rip open his leg. 10 stitches later, 3 weeks of stall rest…and he kicks himself and needs 4 more stitches in the other leg 3 more weeks of stall rest. …and that pretty much ended that year.

Over the last 18 months or so he has been thriving. He is on 24/7 turnout, and LOTS of slow work. Lots of walking trail rides and hill work, some intermediate lessons, lots of walking lateral work. I incorporate a lot of Buck Brannaman style horsemanship ground work to retrain him how to move properly. I try to keep him on more solid footing as deep footing tends to have him come up lame. I gradually increase work very slowly. after about 2 years of this routine I’m just starting to ask him to step under himself gradually and collect, as an 18 yo this is difficult but I’m surprised how strong he is getting.

Good luck it can be a heart wrenching challenging journey.

I have an 18 YO OTTB that sounds like he might have a similar past. The good news is he is WTC now and sounder and saner than ever before.

Rewind to 2007. He had arthritis in his hocks and was sound with maintenance (Supplements, injections etc). he was a delight to ride, beginner safe and would pack around a 2’9" course and do most 1-2nd level dressage. 2010-ish he had some behavioral issues and was diagnosed with a hind suspensory tear. his answer to anything not perfect was to bolt, oh the fun, NOT! 4 weeks of stall rest and he was Horrible! Kicking, biting, rearing, you name it awful! I sent him to a field to “retire” where he lived for 2 years until my DH and I bought a farm.

Once home it took about 8 months over the winter to get his weight back, and lots of slow groundwork. Things had been going well till he decided to rip open his leg. 10 stitches later, 3 weeks of stall rest…and he kicks himself and needs 4 more stitches in the other leg 3 more weeks of stall rest. …and that pretty much ended that year.

Over the last 18 months or so he has been thriving. He is on 24/7 turnout, and LOTS of slow work. Lots of walking trail rides and hill work, some intermediate lessons, lots of walking lateral work. I incorporate a lot of Buck Brannaman style horsemanship ground work to retrain him how to move properly. I try to keep him on more solid footing as deep footing tends to have him come up lame. I gradually increase work very slowly. after about 2 years of this routine I’m just starting to ask him to step under himself gradually and collect, as an 18 yo this is difficult but I’m surprised how strong he is getting.

Good luck it can be a heart wrenching challenging journey.

Can’t answer if I have (well, kinda) but can answer if I would.

YES.

I’m actually about to start the process.

My WC Jumper mare was leased out two years ago. Last spring she came up lame, god only knows what happened, but front suspensory injury.

I put her in a pasture for a year for it to heal. No riding, no work, and my intention was honestly to retire her and never ride again.

However, she’s back at home and I need a horse to keep myself in shape during the week. She’s the perfect candidate - but she is kind of an unknown with the injury. Some days she’s totally sound as she runs across the pasture, some days she’s short and acts stiff.

I have owned this mare for 16 years. I don’t want to cause her any pain. I talked to my vet about it and her response was - either it’ll help or it won’t. If it’s calcified in the healing process, there’s not a ton you can do. If there is just tightness and scar tissue, then with slow work you may be able to supple a lot of it back out.

So my plan is that I’m going to start her back. I don’t know if her short/stiff days are a result of the suspensory, a result of the fact that she’s 18, or if she’s just out of shape from being out of shape. We’ll go slow and address as needed.

I did at one time own a gelding with DSLD in both hind legs. In his case, I’d be a lot more cautious. He was completely retired at 22 and the few years prior he was only ridden lightly a couple of times a year - a walk around the pasture on my birthday, for example. At 18 he had already blown both hind suspensories. At 24, I had him put down - I was afraid one day he would lay down and then snap his fetlocks if he tried to get back up. He lived a full, happy, healthy life - but I don’t know that riding would have helped his cause.

If your guy is closer to my mare, and you take it slow, I don’t think it can hurt too much more than what he would do if he continued down the path as you’ve described. If your guy is closer to my gelding, I’d seriously pause before advising to put him into work with a rider. Maybe some light round pen work at a walk (if he’ll do that) with side reins etc to build his strength.

Good luck!

Go ahead and ride him. You are a good owner who clearly puts the horse first. Your horse does not read ultrasounds or listen to the vet. He knows if he hurts and if he does, he will limp.

I would trust him to tell you if he can stay sound. He knows more than the vet about his soundness now.

PS: Many farriers make shoes with extensions on them to support horses whose pasterns have dropped. Have you discussed this with your farrier? (You might have and I missed it…)

Well, you aren’t going to want to hear this, but I’ll share my story.

I had a gelding that basically has the same story as your guy. Had issues with his hind suspensory (no tears, just lesion/uneven fibers) and after several failed rehab attempts we retired him to the pasture. Over the year he was retired he would ‘reinjure’ several times, usually after playing, and have to be on bute/rest for a while. After a year and half he started having more problems. For my guy it manifested in the opposite foreleg but it was from over compensating. He was now lame in 2 of the 4 legs. I decided to euthanize. It was one of the hardest decisions of my life, but this condition is degenerative, so I would rather end his pain than drag it out.

If he has dropped, I wouldn’t ride with out being cleared by my vet.

I’m so sorry you are going through this. I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.

[QUOTE=WannabeDQ;8659257]
Well, you aren’t going to want to hear this, but I’ll share my story.

I had a gelding that basically has the same story as your guy. Had issues with his hind suspensory (no tears, just lesion/uneven fibers) and after several failed rehab attempts we retired him to the pasture. Over the year he was retired he would ‘reinjure’ several times, usually after playing, and have to be on bute/rest for a while. After a year and half he started having more problems. For my guy it manifested in the opposite foreleg but it was from over compensating. He was now lame in 2 of the 4 legs. I decided to euthanize. It was one of the hardest decisions of my life, but this condition is degenerative, so I would rather end his pain than drag it out.

If he has dropped, I wouldn’t ride with out being cleared by my vet.

I’m so sorry you are going through this. I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.[/QUOTE]

I’m surprised anyone would even suggest otherwise.

If it was just an old suspensory injury that he wasn’t currently clinically lame from, yeah, sure. DSLD with already dropping fetlocks, nope. I’ve had both horses, suspensory injury and one with DSLD. Once the mare’s fetlocks started to drop, our riding days came to an end. She clearly wasn’t comfortable with the extra weight, and I didn’t want to add the extra strain to those areas. She was also a horse that always needed to have a job, and I was worried when she didn’t anymore. But she adjusted to being a pasture pet. I made a decision to euthanize her when her fetlocks started to drop more significantly. I didn’t want to get to the point of a catastrophic injury and risk her suffering.

I’m always for starting with the most basic stuff first before jumping to injections and more costly diagnostics. If he’s been compensating for an old injury, there’s a good chance he’s holding muscle tension. His chronically compressed muscles need a good massage and a few days to reset. If that’s not all that’s going on with him, I would do chiro, and another few days of reset. Only then would I do injections, but that’s just me.

You are speculating about two VERY DIFFERENT THINGS, and lumping them together as one. You also seem to be downplaying the possibility of DSLD.

If you are talking about an old suspensory injury, cautious return to work may be worth a try, since the alternative seems to be retirement. In that case you have nothing to lose by trying, as long as you’re committed to supporting him in retirement if it doesn’t work.

However, you have stated that the horse has dropped. That is a TOTALY different story. You don’t think he has DSLD…why not? There is a test (nuchal ligament biopsy) which will tell you if your horse does indeed have this disorder. If he has dropped, he has a structural change in his skeletal system. I’m really surprised that anyone reading your original post would suggest working a horse who has dropped at all. DSLD is an extremely painful condition. If the stifle angle is changing as well, you’ve really got a serious structural problem going on and it would be very unkind to “work” this horse.

If he has a connective tissue disorder, then NO. DO NOT “put him back to work”. Maybe some carefully researched light therapeutic excersize specifically directed at increasing his comfort would be appropriate. NOT riding him because you want a horse to ride and are in denial about the seriousness of his situation.

Agree with those saying do NOT ride.

You really don’t know what is going on here. Save up and get him to the vet clinic as your vet recommend.

Don’t waste your money on Chiro at this point, save that money for the vet clinic.

Once you have a full understanding of his soundness issues, then you can bring g in the Chiro.

Edited as I miss read the post. No,I would not ride a horse that has dropped under any circumstance

the OP wasn’t going to loan out to the neighbor, she was just relating his confidence that if it was HIS horse, he’d have no problem working it hard. I totally disagree with that and he’s not someone OP should go to for advice. But she dismissed it too so it’s not fair to say that she would do that…

[QUOTE=JenePony;8657198]
He had a few scares over the years where he’d be a moron in the pasture and cause flares and now his left hind suspensory is distorted along the entire length (branches to upper). He’s not dropped as bad (a little above the vertical when resting and doesn’t touch the ground even when trotting/cantering).[/QUOTE]
Are you saying that at one time his fetlocks DID touch the ground while trotting and cantering?