Riding in a cam boot?

So… I learned yesterday that, after nearly 6 months, my tibial shaft fracture still hasn’t healed much, if at all (I’m getting a CT scan tomorrow to find out whether it’s a delayed union or a nonunion). But, much to my surprise, my orthopaedic surgeon told me I could ride again. Yay! However, he wants me to be very careful and to ride in my big walking boot. Hmm. I thought about riding with just one stirrup, but a friend sensibly reminded me I should do everything possible to minimize risk. She suggested finding a wide stirrup. I measured the cam boot, and it’s a couple hairs more than 5" wide. I found some endurance stirrups in my web searches that are 5.5" – so they might do the trick.

Another issue is that there is no way to put one’s heel down (at all) in a cam boot. It completely immobilizes the ankle, making it impossible to drive a car, for example. So it will certainly be tricky to ride in one, esp. with a stirrup.

Anyone try this? I do feel the cam boot would provide some valuable protection, but the logistics are making me wonder…

I think you might be safer without a stirrup. The chance of getting the cam boot caught in a stirrup seems to me to be a significant risk.

Agree, no stirrups if your horse is too unsteady to ride confidently with out stirrups then you shouldn’t ride him yet (and one stirrup is much harder when something goes wrong.) Months of one stirrup will also mess up your proper balance. No stirrups will be good for you. Take it slow as you build up confidence and strength. A stirrup with a cam is just asking for you to get stuck it, be drug, and really mess up that leg! Where as, without stirrups, if you do fall off, you have best chance of protecting the leg if it’s not held up with a stirrup.

Good luck!!

Very good point about the risk of getting the boot stuck… and also about the problems of riding with just one stirrup. I agree with you both that riding without stirrups is probably the way to go. Fortunately, my horse gets very lazy in the warm months. And my trainer will ride her for a week or two to reorient her to being worked. I will certainly be taking it slow. And I’ll have a grab strap on the neck just in case…

Off to channel the Spanish Riding School riders now…

My friend rode bareback with her boot on… She actually had a cast + a walking cast and eventually crutches and ended up having to have surgery to remove the bone she stress fractured because it just wouldn’t heal.

But now after surgery she’s fine :smiley:

I was really impressed she never fell off her flightly, roly poly type mare bareback with that boot on…

We’ve been dealing with an ankle fracture so my BF has been riding the four year old packer (seriously - she is the responsible one, lol).

I would suggest you find a vaulting girth with handles. Throw it on pony and use this time to train properly and find your natural balance. Great challenge AND safe because you have a good catch for your balance if needed. Good luck!