Unlimited access >

Riding in Iceland

I am very excited about my upcoming trip to Iceland in July! It has been quite a while since I’ve been on a big trip, and this has been a dream of mine.

Some of my time will be spent doing a three-day Icelandic horse riding tour through the southern part Iceland. Each day is about 6 hours of riding (with breaks) and staying at a hotel each evening.

I am very well aware of the rules regarding biosecurity and not bringing used leather into the country. I am taking them very seriously but having a hard time determining my footwear situation for riding. I know there have been some threads about this topic already but was hoping some folks could chime in.

I am only going for a week, and will be starting out exploring Reykjavik for about a day and half, then I head to the riding center and then I have another full day back in Reykjavik. For my last day my plan is to probably take one of the Golden Circle guided tours. I am not planning on checking luggage so was hoping I could make do with one pair of shoes that would be appropriate for both riding and tourist type stuff. I’m not planning on any serious hikes.

I’ve had my eye on these Rossi boots. My plan was to wear them ahead of time but keep away from the barn/horse stuff. Does this sound feasible and do these shoes seem reasonable for Icelandic horse riding? The riding center does provide helmets. I also plan to bring a pair of brand new non leather riding gloves.

If you’ve traveled to Iceland and went riding, would you mind sharing what you did in regards to riding boots? Thanks!

We did this a few years ago (pre-Covid) – it was so much fun! I seem to remember that the place provided footwear – helmets and the weather-proof coveralls for sure, but I think boots were included as well. Might be worth asking!

Have a wonderful time – you will love it!

1 Like

You probably want something waterproof. I went last May and only did a short day ride. It rained. Stable provided the rainwear. My footwear was a pair of Merrill waterproof hiking boots.
Between the whole get-up, I stayed nice and dry.

You will probably be fording rivers/streams and the weather is so unpredictable that I would recommend waterproof footwear.

Susan

5 Likes

Thanks and great pic!

I went to Iceland several years ago and did a trail ride. Nothing was said about our footwear being leather. I wore Ariat Terrains that I waterproofed at home. They were perfect for riding and walking around.

2 Likes

I went to Iceland last summer and just did a short ride of about 2 hours. It was a blast but it was miserably cold and windy. We were there at the end of June/beginning of July and it was pretty much cold and windy and often rainy the whole time so definitely bring warm and waterproof clothing!!!

1 Like

Katie81…thanks. Horse’s name is Lunda which is Icelandic for puffin. I was there in May. Yep…cool, windy and rainy. Pretty much usual weather for an Iceland. Even in ‘summer’. I just took some leggings (vs riding pants) and the waterproof boots. They were worth their weight and space in the suitcase! The stable provided the rain gear (although I had a raincoat). The rain pants were welcome.

1 Like

I went riding in Ireland and bought a brand new pair of blundstones for the trip. Wore them the entire trip and was happy to have my own boots with a heel for the trek I went on. In hindsight, I wish I had brought a pair of half chaps - we actually rode walk/trot/canter and for how little space half chaps take I wish I had brought them. I know Ireland isn’t Iceland but I imagine I’d feel the same!

When riding in wild country, walking/endurance boots with a good grippy sole and heel are much better that riding boots with a smooth sole. There may be times when you need to walk on rough ground or scramble over rocks. Then combine these with synthetic half chaps that fold up into almost nothing in one’s baggage. The boots are also useful for everyday tourist activity.

2 Likes

That’s also what I packed for my Iceland trip and wore riding. Worked well for me. We also did a lot of hiking so I wanted a bit more support than I would get from Blundstones.

1 Like

Then you MUST know about Kathy Sierra. I JUST discovered her (through Lockie Phillips) and she’s had Icelandic ponies for years but what really caught my ear was her saying that how they keep their horses in Iceland is full turnout and it keeps the horses healthier in the bodies and mind.

I’ve been an advocate for full turnout and more movement so what she is saying is even more intriguing.
https://seriouspony.exposure.co/touching-the-wild

Please please report back on what you see from a horsekeeping experience and lucky you to be going. What an adventure you will have!

Thanks for the responses/suggestions all! I opted to go with the Ariat Waterproof terrain. I think it will double as a good supportive hiking boot but also appropriate for riding. I will report back after my trip, I am excited!

Just a head’s up on the Terrains. They are very slippery on loose footing and also on wet surfaces such as rocks and grass/moss