Riding on Eliquis/blood thinners/ safety

Hey guys

July 1st I sustained a massive bilateral pulmonary embolism. I was 26 years old (now 27) and it was thought to be provoked by a port placement. The port was removed and I was in ICU on a heprin drip. All in all, though I nearly went ka put, I feel pretty good! My lung functioning is not the same, I am winded much quicker and my overall fitness is in the tank. My heart rate has been running very low for me (mid 50’s) as per its usual 110’s, however it will easier get into the 150-170’s just by standing up or any amount of exercise.

Anyways I have a list of health issues but that’s now why I’m here. I LOVE being on the ground with my boy. I do miss riding though. I’m supposed to be on Eliquis for another 3-4 months. Has anyone ridden on this medication? Is it worth it or should I just sit it out and get fitter from the ground with my horse by hamdqking walking around and stuff?

thoughts?

Talk to your Dr.

I’ve been on Xarelto (blood thinner) for three years due to a serious blood clot in my leg. I started riding again a year after the dvt - I still experience weakness in that leg and will probably always have an issue with it. I lost a ton of fitness while I was not riding for that year but after I got the okay from my doctor I started back slowly and carefully and now am up to riding five to six times a week with two lesson per week. As far as safety I wear a helmet and I just ride dressage - no jumping and I have a very safe horse. Hope this helps.

You need to do what makes you comfortable. I have been on Xarelto for about four years. I do dressage, trail ride and fox hunt. I wear a medical alert necklace to let first responders know what kind of blood thinner I take. I always wear a helmet and air vest, but would do that even w/o the blood thinner. As my Doc said, it is a quality of life issue. Riding gives my life quality!

1 Like

Sorry you are having to go through this. I was on Brilinta for a year. My cardiologist had a fit when he found out I was driving the ponies. He actually told me to “curtail all equestrian activities” even those on the ground. Since I bruised terribly on the med and had many nosebleeds, I decided to heed his advice for the most part and I did pretty much stop driving. Once in awhile when I couldn’t stand it any longer, I would drive my Steady Eddie, but only after my husband drove him first and I ALWAYS wore a helmet.

That’s my experience with my cardiologist FWIW. I would discuss it with your doctor and see what he thinks.
Oh, I never stopped doing groundwork and barnwork like the doctor advised, that was just TOO much to ask. Gotta have a life.
Hang in there!!!

I was put on lovenox for three months because of a blood clot cause by a PICC line. I rode the whole time , but did not jump and always wore a helmet and Road ID bracelet

I’ve been on Coumadin for 10 years because of DVTs in each calf. I have ridden hunters and jumpers for years and am getting into eventing. Life needs to be worth living, in my opinion.

1 Like

I have a friend on chronic blood thinners that was on Eliquis but now takes coumadin as you can reverse the effects of coumadin but not Eliquis in the event of an injury.

2 Likes

Speak with your doctor first of all.

But as someone who works in cardiac ultrasound at a major cardiac centre I can tell you that there are an unbelievable number of people out there on blood thinners. For everything from DVTs, stroke, pulmonary emboli, myocardial infarction, PCI’s, mechanical valves, etc. Lots of these people are young like yourself and still live their lives.
Take basic safety precautions (helmet, don’t jump alone, etc), and wear a medic alert bracelet to let first responders know you’re on a blood thinner.

1 Like

I would agree with GoodTimes and CindyCRNA.

Make sure you wear some type of “medic alert” notification that you are on blood thinners in the event you can’t speak for yourself when first responders are called in,

Take Coumadin rather than any of the newer blood thinners. The newer ones are definitely more “convenient” as you don’t need regular testing but they can’t be reversed (to the best of my non-medical knowledge) while Coumadin can be reversed.

I’ve taken both Coumadin and Xarelto. I never could get a stabilized level for Coumadin and finally switched to Xarelto. If I was still riding, I’d be thinking twice about that decision.

I’ve since been able to come off all blood thinners which is even better :slight_smile:

I have been on Coumadin for a number of years. I have continued to ride, always wear a helmet. I mostly trail ride these days, but still enjoy riding. I was given the option of changing from Coumadin, but I like the option of it being reversible in case of injury. I have my own machine(similar to blood sugar testing) that I check my INR with usually once per month. Occasionally, my INR will be out of range which may require me to change or skip doses and a more frequent testing schedule.

2 Likes

Excellent advice from everyone above. Please be careful, a few months on the ground will go by quickly. You are so young, take care now so you can complain of creaky joints later!

Totally agree with you. If you don’t mind me asking I’m interested to learn which brand of POC testing monitor you use.

You have to do a personal risk assessment. The doctors are going to say NO.

If if you decide to ride, I certainly wouldn’t be starting youngsters or riding the back country (where there is no help). Crap happens around horses but you can mitigate some of it by riding the steady eddy type. Actually, I am not sure doing ground work with an 1100 lb animal is really safe either. You could also fall in the bathroom (and many people on anticoagulants do—I work at a trauma center). Are you going to stop that?!

Jingles for continued healing and getting off the Eliquis.

1 Like