Unlimited access >

Riding permanently lame horse?

Hi all. I apologize if this post is confusing but I’ll try to make it clear.

Without getting into a novel of detail, my horse has been consistently lame for the last 10 months after fighting navicular for several years. He’s on previcoxx and seems fairly comfortable, although still limps at the trot. He is VERY active in the pasture and constantly getting into trouble.

I am 43 days away from graduating with my bachelor’s in mechanical engineering and I’m STRESSED. I have so much going on in my life right now and I really miss riding.

Would it be the worst thing in the world to set a timer and walk him around in the arena for 15 minutes? I know he would love the attention, and he does seem to enjoy being ridden. I still go hang out with him several times a week but it’s not the same.

I left a message with my vet yesterday about it but I haven’t heard back. Just curious what others think any it, since it’s absolutely for selfish reasons. I’m just struggling a lot right now and it would be so amazing just to sit on him.

1 Like

If your horse is sound enough for turn out, I would expect you can get on and go for a wander! Avoid tight or unexpected turns, and keep a watch for behaviours that show he may not be happy in his work.

(A client at my barn has a mildly limpy older navicular horse. 3 years into his diagnoses, with light, w/t/c rides 2-3 days a week, and he hasn’t gotten any worse, and seems happy in his work, so why keep going? We just modify his activity to favour his limpy side)

32 Likes

Thank you! That was my thought too. I’m still going to confirm with my vet but nothing we’ve been told seems like this is going to hurt him more.

People always say I’m crazy but my horse legitimately likes to do things, even if it’s just walking around under saddle. And it’s so good for my mental/emotional health!

If he can bully the mini donkeys all day, he can walk me around for 15 minutes :joy:

16 Likes

If you want to try something else, you might try Osphos. It’s been nothing short of a miracle for my navicular horse. It works fast, too.

4 Likes

Thank you! He’s been on osphos for a while unfortunately, I think that’s why he was sound for so long after diagnosis. Unfortunately his age and earlier damage are just catching up to him.

1 Like

Ah, I’m sorry. And if he were mine I’d potter about on him. Keep you both happy.

8 Likes

Ride

8 Likes

Puttering around at the walk for 20 minutes should be fine. Feel for heat, and watch his body language and soreness like a hawk, but if he’s happy to carry you around I don’t think it’s going to change anything! Especially if he’s bombing around the pasture.

13 Likes

Just listen to you horse. He will tell you.

If he’s forward, eager, and seems happy to go ride, then go ride and enjoy your horse.

Movement is still good for them, and walking is great exercise.

I have two older retired “navicular” horses that are now serving as mounts for my kids. They aren’t 100% sound and I don’t expect them to be. But they are happy with their light jobs and eager to do it!

8 Likes

If he is sound at the walk and safe enough to just hop on, I would!

3 Likes

Absolutely ride him, honoring his limits!!

2 Likes

Between his health issues and mine, let’s just say he’s used to long periods of down time :joy: our first ride would absolutely be in the arena but I trust him to not be stupid

2 Likes

If you are just puttering around… I’d ride him. Keep it short and monitor him, but he would probably enjoy the stimulation. You can also look at clicker training him to help enrichment both of your lives.

1 Like