Unlimited access >

Riding up to the altar

So I’ve been racking my brain for several months now trying to figure this out.

Soon-to-be DH and I are getting married in less than a month :eek: and I am riding my little mare up to the altar. It’s outside in Texas, so the weather is hopefully going to be decent. The rain plan is to have it inside the barn.

My question is: Does anyone have any ideas for a portable hitching post-type thing?

At first we were going to actually dig holes and install posts…but that’s a little too much work at this point. So far I’ve come up with putting a bale of hay in front of them (my dad’s horse and my mare). I think they’d be fine, but my mare is the curious type so my only concern is that she would want to go visit with the people in the front row.

Ideas? Suggestions? Help please?! :slight_smile:

Easy peasy. Instead of a ring-bearer, you have a horse-holder! Since horses seem calm and easy going go ahead with the hay bale and designate a tween/teen* horse loving kid as livestock guardian. Said kid can stand on the opposite side of the horses if you want him/her more out of the way or between them or some such.

Plus it would be a great way to involve another friend/relative in the wedding that isn’t already bridesmaid/groomsmen (if you’re having those). For example my bro was not in the wedding party but he was the Music Jockey during the ceremonies and cued up the right song for general seating, aisle walking, and here comes the briding.

*Obviously an adult would work as well.

I have no idea how I could have missed that haha

I have a ton of horsey friends that will be there, so maybe I’ll ask one of them.

Thanks!

My friend rode up to the ceremony side saddle in a dressage saddle. She had her father leading the horse, and two people on each side.

Dad helped her down, and the helpers walked horse back to the barn.

I would go with something similar. Nothing more distracting than a horse pawing, or worse, getting tangled up!

Have someone remove them from the festivities. One or the other or both will elect to pee if you leave them there. I promise.

[QUOTE=spacytracy;7216442]
Nothing more distracting than a horse pawing, or
worse, getting tangled up![/QUOTE]

Or pooping.

Another vote to have the horses moved away during the ceremony. Even if you plan to use them again when you leave, move them to the back or a distance off to the side during the vows and have the helpers bring them back over after things are done.

Otherwise your wedding video is going to include the horse manuring and the whole audience giggling.

[LIST=1]

• We rode in from the left, across the altar, then circled around right to the back; dismounted, handlers who were ground safety led the horses away. We then walked up the aisle More or less normally. Third horse... Engagement Friesian... Was the ring bearer and had her own handler. She entered from the right with the wedding rings on fabric attached with velcro around her neck. The horses were not present for the ceremony itself, only for their parts of it. [/LIST]
  • Not sure how the " 1." got there.

I like the idea of designating a horse handler.

That being said, a lot of the comments are right. Keeping the horses at the ceremony means you will have to deal with whatever they do. Whether that be peeing/pooping or eating your flowers…

Oh yes. They’re going to be off to the side from the ceremony. It should only last 20min. They are both SUPER broke and I’ve already ridden them around in a big white $20 wedding dress from Goodwill and both could not care less, so hopefully there shouldn’t be any issues there.

I think I’m just going to have to designate a horse handler. I just kinda feel bad for whomever I pick because they’re going to have to stand with them. Maybe I’ll ask one of my barn buddies who I’m not super duper close with to come out and be the horse handler. I would hate for one of my friends to get slimed in their nice clothes! Though, that could make for some great pictures haha

[QUOTE=TFF;7218044]

I think I’m just going to have to designate a horse handler. I just kinda feel bad for whomever I pick because they’re going to have to stand with them. Maybe I’ll ask one of my barn buddies who I’m not super duper close with to come out and be the horse handler. I would hate for one of my friends to get slimed in their nice clothes! Though, that could make for some great pictures haha[/QUOTE]

I did some horse handling for a not otherwise close barn buddy at her wedding and I really enjoyed my duties :slight_smile: A barn acquaintance will also come in handy for grooming ponies before their big entrance…you probably won’t want to apply hoof polish or brush out tails last minute.

My horse always poops when first loaded - if they are going to be trailered there will be less likelihood of an embarrassment.