Riding with a PICC line?

Anyone have any experience with this?

This is my first PICC and I was advised not to do any riding at all, but I wanted to see if anyone had been able to hop on one of their quieter horses and just enjoy a trail ride or even walking around the ring. This is going to be in for quite some time and the thought of not being able to ride (again) because of a major medical issue is heartbreaking. I spent almost 9 weeks this winter on the ground because of a foot and ankle reconstruction from a genetic disorder and now after almost a month of hospitalizations on and off, I’m spending the better part of my summer with a PICC. I managed to avoid this for almost 9 years of Methotrexate and Infleximab, so this was a little frustrating.

I know all about keeping it clean and I have full care available to me so all I really have to do is kiss noses and get on, so that’s not a huge concern, but I really just want to sit on my horses; or at least those of my horses that are very quiet and the most unlikely to cause any issues.

Anyone else been in this situation?

i have never had a picc line, but why not just wrap it with an ace bandage and then go ride. i mean even if you fell off, it would just rip out right?
you could even put guaze ever the line, then wrap with ace and tape it with tape to keep clean.
i would not stop riding with a picc line.
i did have to stop riding for 12 weeks with a shattered tibia and fibula. i started riding 3 weeks before (with dr approval) i had enough bony callus to be considered healed. the dr said it was okay for me to ride as long as i did light easy riding. so i only rode my horse who is pretty safe.
i felt so much happier being able to ride again even though my recovery will take about a year.

I rode with my PICC line. My oncologist just said to keep it covered and be careful. I think he knew that not riding wasn’t an option and he’s big into quality of life

I’d just be careful to make sure your PICC valve ends stay clean… And that whenever you hook up for an infusion that you clean the VERY VERY VERY well so you don’t get a crazy infection from the barn… Also, just make sure dressing stays dry and intact and sealed around the edges…

And TSWJB, it’s not quite so simple as it would “just come out” - if some sort of pulling happened in the right sort of “horsey way” the internal tubing has a possibility of breaking, which would send several inches of tubing wandering through her heart and lungs… if it made it that far… :slight_smile: Also a fair bleeding risk if it comes out.

Hope this helps punkie. Enjoy the barn time. Be careful and concientious.

(I am an ICU nurse)

I ended up with a groshong in my chest instead of a picc line. My doctors were concerned that I would rip my picc line out. Now that my chest and neck are healed from putting it in (when the word tunneling is used it is going to hurt!) So cross your fingers it goes well : )

By the way a groshong is pretty much a picc line but in your chest, same tube and same end. I just make sure to really rub my end with alcohol before doing my meds.

I seen one flip up and if you hear swooshing in your ears go to the hospital. Like everyone else just keep the seal intact.

Infection would be my bigest concern. I would take the precautions and keep riding, but I am hard headed.

Had a PICC line last summer for a bone infection in the foot. My foot doctor,
also a horse person, said to stay away from the barn, period. E coli was
her biggest fear. Foot also came with an open wound, plus incisions on and
off for surgeries. Didn’t even think about riding with the PICC line–was limited to lifting no more than 10 pounds with that arm.

Our Aussie got tangled up in the lines one night running at full speed and
door the end of line off (the valve thingie) but the line stayed in place.
Try finding a replacement for that at midnight…even the local ER didn’t
have it but they found something that would work until I could get to the
infection doc.