Riding with chronic low BP (fainting)

I have low BP which means my heart has to pump faster to keep up with the effects of the low BP; this can be frustrating when I’m riding because I need more frequent breaks to catch my breath or I’m at the risk for fainting; I’m also very ambitious so I’ve pushed myself too far before and actually fainted while riding.

I’ve tried various exercise programs to see if I can improve my cardio vascular system but have found myself fainting during exercise.

I do drink plenty of water, and take vitamins, am at a healthy weight, and can easily do low impact stuff without fainting.

Anyone here ride with low BP? How do you manage this while riding?

Mine is kind of low - 95 or 100/60, usually. My heart rate is pretty low, too, though, so we may not be talking about the same thing.

Anyway, I faint too. :yes: In the South, it’s kind of expected. :lol: My horses just get used to it - they’ve all, over the years, gotten pretty good at catching me. I don’t really push myself all that hard, though - especially not in the heat, which seems to exacerbate the problem. And I make sure my blood sugar doesn’t drop - I keep nuts or a piece of fruit around most of the time.

Yeah, the last time I fainted while riding was in the summer; I was able to halt my horse, sort of dismount and then I just kind of laid down in the arena dirt to cool off while the lights went out; when I could see again, the gelding was just standing next to me and the instructor’s dog was licking my face :eek:

[QUOTE=Scandias;8648566]
Yeah, the last time I fainted while riding was in the summer; I was able to halt my horse, sort of dismount and then I just kind of laid down in the arena dirt to cool off while the lights went out; when I could see again, the gelding was just standing next to me and the instructor’s dog was licking my face :eek:[/QUOTE]

Aww. :slight_smile: My old guy was a champ at this. I once fainted during a trail ride one August afternoon (god only knows why I thought this was a good time for a trail ride). I wove my fingers into the mane and he just kind of carried me along at a walk like the wounded outlaw in the westerns till I came around. :smiley:

I have since found that I can head off a heat-induced fainting spell by dumping cold water over my head - luckily haven’t had to try that on horseback yet but probably ought to practice to get Conjure used to it before I need to do it!

[QUOTE=Scandias;8648421]
I have low BP which means my heart has to pump faster to keep up with the effects of the low BP; this can be frustrating when I’m riding because I need more frequent breaks to catch my breath or I’m at the risk for fainting; I’m also very ambitious so I’ve pushed myself too far before and actually fainted while riding.[/QUOTE]

I am assuming you’ve seen a medical doctor? Have they found a reason for your low BP and prone to fainting?

[QUOTE=beau159;8648618]
I am assuming you’ve seen a medical doctor? Have they found a reason for your low BP and prone to fainting?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I have an excellent doctor; something about my heart not being able to return the blood fast enough (ejection fraction);but because I’m so healthy otherwise my doctor doesn’t want to treat it because the side effects of medications are worse than the actual condition.

So I’m just trying to manage with supplements and light to moderate exercise, drink plenty of fluids, avoid the heat, and try to watch for the early signs of fainting so that I can safely dismount before it happens.

My BP tends to be 90/60 average, with it going down to 85/55 if I’m not being active. So I don’t think that is dangerously low, but I do get dizzy very frequently if I stand up too quickly. I tend to get very red in the face if I’m riding hard in the summer, but I ride in an arid part of the country, not a humid one.

What about a cooling vest or a wet bandana around the neck? Have you tracked your fainting spells so that you can find a pattern (heat, humidity, clothing, food/liquid consumption, salt)?

[QUOTE=Pocket Pony;8648781]

Have you tracked your fainting spells so that you can find a pattern (heat, humidity, clothing, food/liquid consumption, salt)?[/QUOTE]

All of the above :smiley:

These all play a factor so I try to control as many of them as I can through diet, light exercise, water consumption, salt intake etc.

I haven’t tried any of those specially designed clothing articles that are supposed to keep you cooler; I wonder how well they work. Perhaps cause for a spin-off thread…hmmm

I have Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS) - I SO get the low bp/ high hr and passing out (I’ve passed out and whacked my head TWICE in the past five days this week…). My bp tanks out at 50/30 while my heart rate is 180+

Hydration, hydration, hydration. And salt. Compression socks or stockings may also help!

Another 90/60 lady here. Salt and water are my friends. And taking any sign of lightheadedness seriously.

I would do a lot of slow fitness building. You’re ambitious, which makes you want to ride your heart out every ride. But doing long brisk walks can be great for your horse’s fitness too. Build a really strong fitness base before going all out.

Have you tried any of the sports nutrition out there? I find Gu gels to be really helpful before a long workout- electrolytes & calories. You can experiment with whether any of the electrolyte products help you. I personally hate the Gatorade type products in the grocery store for workouts, so don’t limit yourself to those.

And definitely ask your doctor if she has a referral to someone who can design a fitness program for you. You’re not the first athlete with low BP, and having someone knowledgeable to help can be life changing.

I too have POTS but the hyper form so my bp is high and so is my heart rate which can cause vertigo and shortness of breath. I have found that a beta blocker and IV fluids at home are very helpful for me. The beta blocker would not work well for you as you have low bp but there are other meds that would help you if you should end up with a POTS diagnosis. Just something to think about if this should continue. For me, I am competitive so I had to get answers so I could keep riding and competing. It took me quite some time and I’m still having some difficulties but my symptoms are much, much better since getting diagnosed and on the proper meds.

Good luck to you!

Just out of curiousity… are you orthostatic? Have you been tested for Adrenal Insuffiencency?

[QUOTE=downen;8812572]
Just out of curiousity… are you orthostatic? Have you been tested for Adrenal Insuffiencency?[/QUOTE]

Ding ding ding - exactly what I was thinking.

Sea salt is helpful but not a cure. Do not use regular table salt. I like Celtic Sea Salt.