Riding with lateral meniscus tear?

So here is the situation, my knee has been bothering me for months now and finally came to a head the other day. I went to the doctor and had it examined and she determined it is most likely a lateral meniscus tear. I have had surgery on this knee twice for the same problem and always followed the doc’s orders about staying off of it, but I have an event camp I am pretty much committed to in about two weeks. I just completed am event last weekend and it didn’t hurt when I rode, just trying to bend it and straighten too much. So I guess I just want to know has anyone ridden with a meniscus tear? How did it go and how did you deal with it? I am icing it and taking ibiprophen and vicodin and doing fine right now and with two kids, horses and dogs it’s kind of hard to stay off of it anyways for too long. Please no flaming me for wanting to ride, I already know I should stay off of it but I do have things that I have to get done at home with no help and I figure as I am already committed I may as well ride and take whatever breaks I need at camp.

Assuming that really is the problem you are going to have to do surgery to repair it. It probably doesn’t matter a whole lot what you do to it in the meantime.

I just had 50% of my medial meniscus trimmed off. I sympathize…

The two things I would worry about that may or may not apply to you -

1. mine would occasionally totally lock up, and I wouldn’t have been able to walk or drive home. When it flared up all I could do is get around on crutches. If yours doesn’t get that way, it might not be a worry.

2. Doing more damage, losing more of your meniscus, and increasing your problems down the line. My surgeon kindly requested I not make mine any worse in the 3 weeks until my surgery was scheduled since it looked plenty bad already from the MRI.

Good luck riding through it, and good luck when you finally get it fixed again!