Riding with Lower Back Pain

Hi COTH friends,

I am 23 (turning 24 on Thursday!) and have been riding since 8. A couple years ago, I started a part-time desk job and riding more regularly and starting having back pain. I dealt with it for a while, ended up taking some time off riding for unrelated reasons, etc.

Fast forward to almost a year ago and I bought my first horse…Yay me! I was riding about 5 days a week (and now work a full time desk job) and my back pain got significantly worse. After about 2-3 months, I saw a Doctor I wasn’t impressed with who said nothing was wrong and then, because I needed to find a new Primary doctor anyway, I went and met my current Doctor. He did some quick physical tests for disc issues, nerve issues, etc but didn’t come up with much. He prescribed me a steroid pack which I took. He said it could just be inflamed and that the steroid would hopefully get me back to “0” and we could see how long it lasted. It helped a decent amount. Riding was still a little uncomfortable sometimes, but definitely bearable.

It has been probably 4-5 months since then and the pain has started again. I have an appointment to see him again Thursday but didn’t know if something like a seat saver would help? Thinline has one but it is $60 and so I hesitate to spend the money without knowing whether it will be a total waste or not.

The pain is typically dull in my lower back. A few days ago it actually radiated down the back of my left leg all the way to my ankle but luckily hasn’t happened since then!

I know I hold tension in my back when I ride and stick my butt too far out behind me (I am working on that) which puts more pressure on my back. My TB is rather hot and I have just gotten to the point where I trust him enough to try breaking down those bad, defensive riding habits.

Anyway, any advice, suggestions, experiences, etc. would be great!

you said you has a full time desk job, would it be possible that you sit too much for too long everyday? Prolonged sitting can cause weakening of some low back muscle which may contribute to your back pain, especially a lot of people don’t sit straight up and it would make it worse. Do you feel the pain in other activities?

I would suggest visiting a chiropractor and see what he/she says. Sometimes, muscle strengthening exercises can help a lot, if bone/nerve damage are ruled out.

1 Like

@Minnie G Thanks for your response! I do sit for too long probably and my sitting posture isn’t the best. I am moving office buildings soon and in my new office, I am debating on getting either a back support cushion or a new chair to help with my posture. I try to get up and walk around but there are only so many times I can do that. I won’t be surprised if my Doctor suggest PT since I do put strain on my back regularly and I am open to that. Thanks!

Radiating down your leg could suggest that you’ve tweaked your SI.

I have a bit of a wonky back and a desk job so I am big on preventative maintenance. What keeps me feeling good is lots of stretching. It’s honestly amazing what 15-20 mins a day of stretching can do for your body and once you start doing that, you will notice if you miss it for a few days. I also do pretty regular acupuncture to keep my back feeling loose. That’s my chosen method of bodywork but PT or chiro or massage could also work for you. Hopefully you have some extended benefits through work that would cover some of those therapies.

You mention you have a hot horse. Does he tend to be a bit tense and tight through his back? I used to ride a mare who was very tight in her back. And it was hell on mine. When I got my gelding, I was shocked at how much better my back felt riding him because he naturally comes through his back a lot better. If I’m riding and I find my low back is getting aggravated, it means that his back isn’t as swinging as it needs to be. Obviously you need to work on making your back feel better but also concentrate on getting your horse to relax and come through better. I bet you’ll find as his back becomes more consistently relaxed, you will have less pain.

@DunByMistake Thanks for your response! Yes, Oscar holds tension in his back as well so I know we end up feeding off each other! I have never tried acupuncture, (Oscar has!) but maybe I will try it!

Pain down your leg is sciatic nerve inflammation. That can be caused by bulging discs or problems with your piriformis muscle impinging on the nerve make sure you tell your doc about the leg pain. I hope you can get an MRI to identify the source of the problem. At your age, I wouldn’t want to be guessing. NSAIDs might help.

I have had back pain for a long time.I think most people do. Like you, I think I have too much curvature in the back. There probably isn’t much your doctor can do. Like magic said, your sciatic is involved. It may be something dramatic, which you should check for, but it’s more likely something you need to stretch and strengthen and learn to make the best of. Yoga/pilates is great for that sort of thing. Massage can do wonders. Also chiropractic. You need to deal with the pain by relieving it somehow and then strengthen and stretch that area.

Ditto the above. Plus a BOT back brace might be helpful for both riding and work. The Thinline pad also has great reviews for back pain.

I’ve started having some back pain and I am trying to do a lot of stretching/yoga and strengthening exercises to help. Part of my problem is just that I have a lot of lifting, mucking etc to do as I am the sole caretaker of my two horses. I hope I can work through this. Ski season is coming up and I need my back to be in good shape for that too. Hope all you with back pain will find ways to feel better!

Besides stretching, you need to strengthen your core. PT should help. Also, swimming is excellent for back patients. (Just be sure to keep your spine straight and do not hyper extend your back. Using a mask and snorkel can help you keep your spine straight.)

I’d suggest getting some back belts–lumbar and sacroiliac–and riding in them. They really do help. For back exercises, take a look at the McKenzie Method.

1 Like

Stretch your hip flexors!!! aka, Runners Lunges. They stretch the front of your legs - down your quads - and believe me it helps. Yoga pose ‘pigeon’ will help your piriformis.

And yes, your core. Especially your lower abdominals.

If the pain is significant, you should probably have an MRI to rule out anything serious like a disc problem. It’s probably lifestyle + lack of core strength + incorrect posture, and possibly some imbalances that could be helped with massage or chiropractic care. I think if your doc doesn’t find anything, you should try going to a physical therapist. They will look more at how you move, how you sit, and can give you some strengthening exercises to do. They may also be able to help with inflammation with some massage, dry needling, heat/ice, or therapeutic ultrasound.

Also do a search for Foundation Training. I have some lower back issues due to a bit of pelvic asymmetry and a lifetime of horses. For a while, I quit riding and took up cycling instead and wound up with a pinched nerve that really bothered me. PT, chiro, and the most basic Foundation Training exercises got me back feeling good and riding horses again. And now that horses made my core and back strong again, I can ride my bike some without much issue. Some of the FT poses are helpful for riding posture, actually, so it was overall a good thing. The exercises the PTs were giving me were not helping. My chiro told me about FT, and he’s the one that made the pinched nerve go away. I don’t subscribe to all the videos, but I downloaded the book on my Kindle app and watched some of the free videos.

Find a good PT who will show you exercises to strengthen your core, stretch your piriformis, and proper posture for lifting and doing barn chores. After I injured my back lifting a heavy stall mat the wrong way, I lucked out and was referred to just such a PT and, best part, she was a horsewoman. Her insight was fabulous. It took time, but I’m better than ever (and I’m well over twice your age).

Also, if you can, find a Centered Riding instructor (or if not possible read Sally Swift’s books). You will learn a lot about how to use your whole body correctly. It will help both you and your horse.

Lastly, be aware of your posture at the desk job. It can kill your back. I can always tell when I’ve spent far too much time in my office and not enough riding my horse. Some of those PT exercise and saddle time cures the tension pretty quickly.

1 Like

There is a book titled ‘7 Steps to a Pain Free Life’ by Robin McKenzie It is worth every penny if you put the work in.

A strong core means a strong back www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/fitness/multimedia/core-strength/sls-20076575

Ice packs help me

Have you considered that you mattress may be contributing to your issues? Also if you drive a lot the seat in your car.

I feel for you - I’ve been plagued by back pain for decades. Even as a teen I remember having to lie flat on my back after riding, and send my feet up and beyond my head, knees next to ears, for a nice stretch.

In my case, strengthening my core is key. Pilates and Yoga once or 2x a week are a life saver for me - I can then function normally and pain free while doing barn chores and riding. If I don’t keep up with my core exercises, my back starts hurting again.

I thought about trying these as I am suffering the same thing. https://bioriderfitness.com/top-3-core-exercises-riders/

I would highly recommend visiting a chiropractor. Doctors are great and all, but if you are able to find a Chiro that can spend a little more time with you, and do a more in depth assessment, its probably going to be a smidge more beneficial in the long run. Most rehabilitation focused Chiropractors will prescribe exercises as well as perform adjustments if necessary.

I’m a little bit older then you, I also have a desk job (at a chiro and massage therapy clinic… surprise :stuck_out_tongue: ), so I can appreciate the level of stiffness that comes with the desk sitting. The best thing you can do for yourself when you’re stuck at your desk is to move. If you can’t actually get up from your chair and walk around, then simply stretch in place (seated or standing). All you have to do is a quick google search of easy exercises/stretches you can do at your desk for some inspo. There is a lot of info out there on the interwebs, and since sitting is now a big no no from a healthy lifestyle perspective, I don’t doubt you will be able to find specific stretches to target your painful areas.

From what you wrote it seems possible that the pain is related to your stiff desk sitting + defensive riding. I never do this myself because I lack the commitment, but I would also recommend stretching after your ride, or after you’ve finished at the barn and are back at home. Make it a part of your routine, maybe a post un-tacking activity?
Put your muscles through their normal range of motion and never push something past the point of pain. The post ride stretching will help to relax and loosen you up and ideally will keep you limber until you’re back at your desk again… (cue new desk exercises/stretches you found on google).

Hope you feel better and are able to nip this in the bud so you can stay in the saddle!

A little late to the game, but…

Start with PT. A GOOD PT will be a huge asset here. They’ll be able to tell you where you’re having dysfunction, what needs to get strengthened (and will give you specific exercise for doing so) AND can refer you to a good doc who will listen if you still need one.

They can also do a lot of the same adjustments/ manipulations that a chiropractor can. In our state, PT’s have their doctorates and are able to function much like a chiro, but in my experience their adjustments/ manipulations are MUCH more conservative.

If you still need an MRI, a PT can often serve a s a good referral source for getting an MRI.

If you still need more, find a good massage therapist, preferably one who specializes in medical massage. They can also help you find a good chiro if you still need one.

And for heaven’s sakes, get an exercise ball for a desk chair. Baby bump makes a good one. No, they’re not miracle workers (as they were touted in the 90’s) but they DO give you just that little bit of movement which can be SO crucial for LBP.

1 Like

I second all of this. I landed my self in a years worth of PT due to hip/lower back mess. Basically we did a ton of PT which was helpful, but most helpful was my at home work. I did stretching and yoga- every single day. I have to continually work on my hip flexors. If I take even a few days off from stretching they go back to their old position and cause me a lot of pain. I also foam roll a couple times a week and use a TENS unit. I also sit on a ball (in short spurts) at work which really helps. Keep working on strengthening core muscles!

I was able to get rid of the pain with all these combined and never had to quit riding in the process (which many doctors told me I would have to). Good luck!!

Edited to add- We are close in age! Also find a good message therapist, mine is worth her weight in gold.

1 Like