Riding with one arm?

So I just had a shoulder injury while backcountry skiing on Saturday and my Christmas break (which started Friday) was supposed to be my time to really get back into riding (as well as do a bunch of skiing and snowshoeing and some ski mountaineering), but then this happened. ER said it was just a minor sprain, but it has gotten worse over the past couple days and now I have pretty limited ROM. I am probably going to go to my GP if it doesn’t get better in a couple days.

So I still want to ride, but of course I want to be safe and want to heal as fast as possible so I can get back to skiing and mountaineering! My mare is quiet, reliable, and I trust her with my life. But still, accidents happen, I know. I’m just trying to weigh the cost/benefit ratio

So is there a way to safely ride one-handed (my dominant arm is slinged and strapped to my chest) and still do effective exercises for me and my horse in a snaffle?

Any input is appreciated!

Does the arm need to be in the sling and swathe full time? What did the ER doc say? Many injuries that require a sling benefit from the arm being taken out of the sling at least twice a day to run the elbow through range of motion to keep it from stiffening up. That might be the time to ride. Go back and read your instructions from the ER doc. See an orthopedist if you are not sure of how you are supposed to be caring for the shoulder.

NOPE…

Kinda a no brainer from a medical perspective…

You don’t have the arm to use…

The horse decides to be naughty…

Only one arm to break your fall or

PROTECT YOUR NECK

Regards,
Medical Mike
Equestrian Medical Researcher
www.equicision.com

To add to the discussion:
I’m having surgery on my right shoulder on Thursday, for “clavicular changes” ;).
I’m planning on being grounded for AT LEAST one month, more likely two [unless you’ve got alternative time frames, medical mike]. I heartily recommend you rest your arm until it’s fully healed, which may take your whole holiday. You wouldn’t expect your horse to go back to work before a tendon injury (or stone bruise, etc) had healed, would you? :slight_smile:

Give it up already.

[QUOTE=Vegas Sky;6018770]
So I just had a shoulder injury while backcountry skiing on Saturday and my Christmas break (which started Friday) was supposed to be my time to really get back into riding (as well as do a bunch of skiing and snowshoeing and some ski mountaineering), but then this happened. ER said it was just a minor sprain, but it has gotten worse over the past couple days and now I have pretty limited ROM. I am probably going to go to my GP if it doesn’t get better in a couple days.[/QUOTE]

Shoulder injuries are nothing to screw around with. You say in just a couple of days, you’ve already down to limited ROM. Don’t mess around with your GP, go to an orthopedist before you end up with a frozen shoulder besides whatever tendons, etc. you injured.

[QUOTE=Equibrit;6020396]
Give it up already.[/QUOTE]

Ditto

We’ve read enough posts about how damaged you’ve been the last couple years. It sucks, but you’re not the same as you once were. Your big wreck probably aged your body by at least 10 years. Give your body a break, unless you really are trying death by a thousand cuts.

Give it a rest already Vegas Sky. Exactly how many reminders does your body have to give you before you listen up? Do you want to be completely crippled in record time? You sound like you’re your own worst enemy.

Take a chill pill & give your body the vacation it so richly deserves.

Let it rest. I had a bad shoulder sprain right at Christmas one year. Two days later my husband had a stroke. The next day was our son’s birthday. Christmas presents were not wrapped so I did that.

A month later I was back in the sling for six weeks. If I had followed directions the first time I would have been out of it and healed.

Yes, life threw a lot at me that year but I did not put myself first. Twelve years later that shoulder still gives me problems.