Riding with Prothestics

My 24 year old son is about 10 days post op RBKA. He lost his right foot due to complications from emergency back to back open heart surgeries to replace valves destroyed because of misdiagnosed endocarditis. Prior to this nightmare of a month he was an active and accomplished rider, had evented multiple horses successfully through intermediate level, and was one of the top polocrosse players in the US.

He now has two mechanical valves, a pacemaker and is beginning rehab to start the process of getting a prosthesis.

He plans on returning to competition. I’d love to hear any stories, suggestions, complaints etc. from anyone who rides with a prosthesis. TIA

No personal experience, but my former farrier lost a leg below the knee when a horse flipped on him and to make a long story short, he had to have the leg amputated. Not only did he return to shoeing, he returned to eventing. At first he had some problems with the prosthesis coming off when he was riding — which would not be good! — but then he got a different type of socket (I think that’s the right word) which held it on much better and he had no more problems. So it can be done and your son wouldn’t be alone. Sending him lots of good wishes for a fast recovery.

You might get in touch with Robin Brueckmann in NC. She is an FEI dressage rider and USEF “S” dressage judge. She wears a below the knee prosthetic on her right (I think) leg. Her contact info should be on the USEF website, or through NCDCTA.

Sorry to hear what your son is going through.

I don’t have any specific advice for you, but maybe another encouraging story to keep your chin up! She doesn’t have any prosthetics, but Amberly Snyder is paralyzed from the waist down due to a car accident. And very recently, she got voted in to compete at The American rodeo in barrel racing (this Sunday, March 1st) and a chance to win $1 million.
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=25587619
http://youtu.be/ifBYKUJ61E0

I find it encouraging and fascinating how she has managed to figure out how to do most things with her wheelchair with her horse. She has a YouTube channel where she posts most of it.
http://youtu.be/_3Jn_E5P6SY

[QUOTE=Hej;8031806]
You might get in touch with Robin Brueckmann in NC. She is an FEI dressage rider and USEF “S” dressage judge. She wears a below the knee prosthetic on her right (I think) leg. Her contact info should be on the USEF website, or through NCDCTA.[/QUOTE]

Thanks - I actually know Robin reasonably well and she was one of the first people I contacted!

I’m RN and I do a lot of rehab work. (spinal cord, cardiac, orthopedic, amputations)

I can’t comment on riding but I can comment on the healing of people with BKAs.

Like with injured horses, tell him not to rush it. :slight_smile:

I don’t know how the residual limb is closed (sutures? staples?), but he should be checking it daily. Don’t leave that only up to the MDs/nursing staff. When they do a dressing change he should look at it. If he can’t see it, they make special mirrors so that patients can see their skin (often given to patients with spinal cord injuries). The rehabilitation facility should have them. He needs to tell somebody immediately if it changes, more drainage, boggy to touch, whatever, speak up.

I’m assuming that the reason he lost part of his limb was due to poor vascular circulation status post his cardiac issues? If this is the case just keep an extra careful eye of how the limb is healing.

Healing properly ensures the best fit for the future prosthesis.

As a fellow eventer, I’m assuming your son is the brave type. It is fine for him to push himself but he needs to me mindful of that residual limb. If he goes “splat” which can sometimes happen in rehab, tell him to try avoid hitting that limb.

The prosthesis will also fit best if he waits until his limb is “healed”. Again try not to rush it. After he gets a prosthesis he should be very mindful of how it fits especially in the beginning. He does not want an ill fitting prosthesis to cause further problems with the limb. Examine for blisters, swelling, redness etc.

If you have any questions let me know and I will see if I can answer them for you.

Thanks West5.

He’s in a great rehab facility in the Baltimore area and his prosthetics guys are real out of the box thinkers who do extensive work at Walter Reed. All of his surgery was done at Johns Hopkins. Ortho guy (30 years army experience) sutured. They did give him the mirror and he checks it every day.

He wil go home for a bit after finishing round one of rehab and then come back for the prosthesis fitting. One of his peer visitors this week is a guy who now foxhunts with a prosthetic.

no personal experience, but when i volunteered at a TR barn we had two amputees who rode; the girl with the high AK chose not to use her prosthesis, and the girl with the high BK did. i think your son will just have to see what works best for him. best of luck to him!

Is he on anticoagulants because of the valve replacements? If so, the coagulation people may not want him doing anything that might involve trauma and bleeding if his PT clotting times are high or not stabilized. A teenager who rode up at the barn near us was on anticoagulants for a long time after a couple of strokes. The hematologist recommended she take Lovenox injections instead of Coumadin/warfarin because she was physically active and riding. They were worried about bleeding from falls and injuries.

When I read about people like those mentioned on this thread, people who endure hardships and pain and yet get back up and go on with their lives, I am so happy that there are people like them! They are all so brave.

And people who come onto the other forums on Coth and whine about the weather or not having something, etc., should read this thread and not complain.

OP, I hope your son gets back to riding very soon. And all the others who ride with disabilities, great work by all of you to get on with your lives.

Yes, he will be on coumadin for the rest of his life. Not stable at the moment as there are too many variables, but also bridging with lovenox. It will be awhile before he can ride, but probably this summer.

Make sure the Coumadin clinic or whomever helps him monitor the levels knows he is riding and doing Polocrosse. They may have him check PT INRs more frequently. It is usually not a big deal if a sedentary older person has too much Coumadin on board. A young and active person who plays hard needs to be careful to keep the levels from getting out of whack.

i agree with shezabrazenmare = no words can explain = only if you are going thur it or if you have major health problems = WOW =

[QUOTE=pegasusmom;8039139]
Thanks West5.

He’s in a great rehab facility in the Baltimore area and his prosthetics guys are real out of the box thinkers who do extensive work at Walter Reed. All of his surgery was done at Johns Hopkins. Ortho guy (30 years army experience) sutured. They did give him the mirror and he checks it every day.

He wil go home for a bit after finishing round one of rehab and then come back for the prosthesis fitting. One of his peer visitors this week is a guy who now foxhunts with a prosthetic.[/QUOTE]

Sounds great. Glad to hear he has an excellent medical team as well as a support system.

As others have stated, the anticoagulation management will probably prove to be more of a long term issue than the prosthesis.

Hope you are both doing ok.
Don’t forget that you need to get some rest too. (I am a mom as well as a RN)

After the first World War many side saddles were made for veteran amputees. Something to think about. You can get a near side or off side saddle depending on which leg cannot handle a stirrup. Very secure for jumping too

Very pleased to report my son is back in the saddle! Cleared to do just about anything but ski and kickbox to include polocrosse at his discretion. Was heavily cautioned by his cardiologist that was used to be normal no big deal bruises are no longer normal no big deal briuses but as long as he used good judgement he was good to go. We are at least a year away from him returning to the pitch so we will see what his final decision is - fortunately his mare is super talented and can do just about anything he sets his mind to do with her.

:encouragement:

BUMP

That is amazing. He should start a You Tube channel to inspire others. There is a skate boarder with no legs who has one for example.

I am so, so glad to hear that your son had such a good outcome despite such an ordeal! He’s an inspiration. Please, do let us know how he’s doing, in life and in the saddle!