Riding with Sesamoiditis (Human Sesamoiditis!)

Hi all,

I was told I have some inflammation and limited range of motion in my sesamoids about 2 weeks ago. The podiatrist I saw told me to wear a walking boot for 4-6 weeks. He said he doesn’t know anything about horseback riding and the exact role (and workload) that my feet are involved in. He therefore told me that he couldn’t tell me I wasn’t allowed to ride but that I need to be careful as not to make the pain worse and longer from healing.

I don’t have pain while I’m riding but I know when I ride, the stirrup is on the ball of my foot and my whole body weight is basically held there. Has anyone had any experience with this? I am trying to figure out if I can ride (just maybe slide the stirrup a bit further back than usual) or if riding is even what caused this?

Thanks!

When I had sesamoiditis, years and years ago, I had no riding restrictions, and riding didn’t cause it or contribute to it. It was 100% due to inappropriate footwear and resolved (slowly) when I fixed that. Good luck, it sure does hurt!!

Ooh I had this and can offer some mild advice.

1. For when you’re out of the boot, these dancer’s pads changed my life. I have worn them every day for five years, and they make a huge difference. https://www.amazon.com/PediFix-Pedi-…df_B004G8L36W/

2. Wear riding boots with some padding and support. I splurge for the top-of-the-line Ariat Devon Pro paddocks. I find this is more important for walking around the barn than riding.

3. Buy stirrups with a wider footbed. I don’t like joints or anything fussy, but I have inexpensive, plastic, wide footbed stirrups that help distribute more weight off my sesamoid. I can ride in traditional fillis stirrups if I’m only riding one or two horses. But, when I ride a lot, they do make my food ache.

4. Be smart off the horse. Don’t wear high heels. Avoid lunges or other exercises where you’re really stressing your big toe joint.

Years ago I developed an agonizing pain in the balls of my feet. It got so bad I almost quit riding.

Then I changed a pad on my Fillis stirrups, noticed the almost knife edge that the pad covers and asked my tack store if she carried the old-fashioned Prussian sided stirrups, but she did not. Fortunately the next time I went to the tack store she had a pair of consignment Prussian sided stirrups, I switched my stirrups on the saddle, and my excruciating foot pain WENT AWAY and never returned.

I ride Forward Seat and I always have my weight go down into the stirrups. Fillis–excruciating pain eventually (it took several years for it to get so bad that I almost quit riding), Prussian sided stirrups no foot pain at all, ever.