Riding with Total Knee Replacement

I had both knees replaced in March and was back in the saddle by May. All good, BUT my discipline is fox hunting and I prefer first flight, fast and furious. My horse is a round fellow and I ride in an old style Stubban that puts my knees out where they can (and have) been smacked by trees. It hurt before I had the knees replaced, I can only imagine the agony it would evoke now.

I thought I’d have to move back to the more sedate group. :-(.

But my polo playing daughter gave me her old KNEE PADS! These are designed for riding and taking (really hard) hits with a polo mallet or ball.

So, heads up --if you have a knee injury, surgery, or just worry about hitting things with your knees --like gates, trees, whatever, these will keep you from hurting. I think they even give the rider a better grip on the saddle.

And they look totally cool.

Foxglove

Glad you found something to help you have a more comfortable and safer(for your knees) ride.

A link or a pic please? I’ve never seen such but those may be an answer to my prayer. Bilateral knee replacements with revision on left = serious anxiety on trail rides. (Which is why I’ve only tootled at a walk since)

Thank you :slight_smile:

![]( had bi lateral knee replacements about three years ago. My O.S. told me I could ride, just try not to come off LOL
I have thus stopped starting colts from scratch, as I did for many years when we were actively breeding and raising horses, but still show and trail ride , plus bring the odd young horse along after 30 days or so
I’m not so much worried about any pain hitting my knees, just landing wrong and breaking out the joint replacement, so that maybe "humpty Dumpty’ can’t be put back together again.
Guess I need to come off and find my knees not damaged!
Nice to find others riding with total knee replacements, as I put that surgery off way too long by people, including my GP, telling me I should not ride afterwards!
Here is a recent trail riding pic

[IMG]http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m455/KiloBright/CharlieRiver_zps930e4a9b.jpg)

[IMG]http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m455/KiloBright/Smilielittleelbowthree_zpse660e25c.jpg)