Unlimited access >

Rio Mare to whom should I breed her?

Hi, I have a Rio Grande granddaughter out of Rio Bravo. She is identical to her sire, a round 16.1 h chestnut w/ chrome. She is beautiful and sweet, can be a tad hot, but jumps and moves gorgeous. I have been looking at Cabardino and Sir Caletto, but also Redwine and Escapade. I want to get a gorgeous hunter w/ some scope to do the 4’ hunters, or at least the 3’6". Any recommendations?

My BO has a Rio Grande daughter out of a TB mare. She bred her to Sir Caletto and now has a 3 year old by him. She got a huge bay colt (will mature to about 17hh - I think this is the Rio Grande influence) with amazing shoulder movement, stride, and jump. He also has a puppy dog personality. The only downside is that he has the small eyes that Sir Caletto tends to throw (he stamps his head on his get).

I bred the same mare to Crown Affair and she is due this Spring. I can’t WAIT to see what this combo brings!!

“Out of Rio Bravo” - is that your mare’s dam? If so, then who is your mare’s sire?
If you are looking for a hunter “with scope to do 4’ hunters”, you would be much better off with Cabardino or Sir Caletto than Redwine or Escapade. An aside - do not get hung up on “black with chrome” - color and flashy white markings add NOTHING to a horse’s ability over fences. And please, please, please do not use Redwine - do not put money in that women’s pocket. She is an animal hoarder and abuser, and a scam artist - you can search the threads on the breeding forum to see just what a low life she is.

That said, you would get a lot more good info if you moved your post to the breeding forum.

Sorry, BY Rio Bravo, who was by Rio Grande, and bred by W Charlot Farms

You should move this to the sport horse breeding forum. If you want scope, I wouldn’t waste time breeding to Escapade or Redwine. What about Cabalito? I have known many Sir Caletto’s that were difficult so if you have a hot mare I also wouldn’t recommend using him. Balta’Czar would also be a good choice

[QUOTE=BaysofourLives;7917462]
You should move this to the sport horse breeding forum. If you want scope, I wouldn’t waste time breeding to Escapade or Redwine. What about Cabalito? I have known many Sir Caletto’s that were difficult so if you have a hot mare I also wouldn’t recommend using him. Balta’Czar would also be a good choice[/QUOTE]

I wouldn’t waste time breeding to Redwine due to the NIGHTMARE that is his owner. Breed to anyone but him. I’m a big C Quito fan… lovely boy.

I have a 4 1/2 yr old Cabardino baby out of a 16 hand TB mare. He has the best brain, lots of suspension and scope, but he is small. 15.3 at best. I know a few other Cabardino baby owners who say the same thing. But that could be the coincidence of several mares who produce small.

Last year I bred my Hanoverian mare to Bliss. Check out his webpage, videos and stallion testing scores.

Sorry to hijack, but does anyone have any opinions about Prototype? Or Amazing?

Bliss I like a lot, but there was something that made me pause about him… don’t remember what.

I will say, Landkonig puts movement and a good brain on every foal of his I have seen, but type seems to lean toward the mares type. Doesn’t seem to stamp for type, just movement and brain.

I am courting breeding myself and curious what people are thinging…

Oh, and Sir Caletto’s great jumpers, all, not the best movers in the world and the couple I have met up close had some attitude issues, although the look and jump made them worth working through.

I know both these stallions sire and grandsire and have seen a lot of their get. The Cabardino/Rio is a very popular cross but I have seen some very average and below average foals there. Cabardino tends to throw small (which won’t be a concern here at the Rio lines are tall) but he can also throw that “white” eye that he has…just a consideration there.

I have not met enough of the other stallions offspring to really gave an educated opinion on those. One stallion that I really DO like however is Westporte. He has a fabulous jump and throws really excellent temperaments on his foals. I have a two year old colt here now and will be breeding back one of my Holsteiner/TB mares to him this spring hopefully for a duplicate of this guy. :slight_smile: I am not sure where you are located but he is Canadian based.

Cunningham! Hands down.

I also like C Quito but you won’t get much size there.

You may also want to expand past the typically marketed “hunter stallions,” and look for the qualities in a stallion that you think will improve your mare. For example, La Marque is not marketed as a hunter stallion but he has a wonderful mind, gorgeous exterior, and a hunter front end. He will not take away movement and has rideability and a fabulous brain. Other examples would be Diktator VD Boslandhoeve and Imhothep. If you are willing to go frozen, even more possibilities are open. Move your post to the breeding forum and you will get more responses.

I would also stay away from the dressage-bred hunter stallions and focus on a “jumper” pedigree stallion who can produce a hunter.

I’m a big fan of Prototype. I have seen him in person and he is stunning. If I had not known better I would have thought he was a gelding, so quiet and easy going. There is a video of a yearling filly out of a Rio Grande mare on his Facebook page. Fabulous mover and jumps really good. Here’s a link, not sure it will work; video.php

I bred my mare Robin by Rio Grande to Prototype last year and can’t wait for this foal. I would highly suggest looking at him.

Cassini II
Lordanos

Both have frozen semen that is rocket fuel and will add plenty of height and scope to your mare. Excellent brains and rideability, and both with many offspring in the hunter rings.

Just chiming in to encourage you to take Redwine off your list. PLEASE do not fund an animal abuser.

To give you an idea - this is the condition two of her other stallions were found in.

Mare care?

How about her “lab”?

If you need to know any more, Google “Jill Burnell” (RW’s owner)