Unlimited access >

RIP Point Given

KHP announced Point Given’s passing today. What a horse :broken_heart:

https://kyhorsepark.com/news/?Id=7304&Name=Point-Given%2C-2001-Preakness-&-Belmont-Stakes-Winner%2C-Dies-at-25&fbclid=IwAR2GQFtjpKbRbwwuQ2khZW75tDGq9vkfNx_je_NCTUtCjaigdQ_tcnYPsAU

6 Likes

Saw him last year at Kentucky Horse Park. He was a very cool horse.

3 Likes

Yes he was! I was there early a.m. a few years ago and they let me love on him a bit and give maybe a few too many peppermints. My husband bought me his halter that year as a Christmas gift. I think tonight is a good time to give it a shine :heart:

12 Likes

He was a character for sure!! RIP, big guy.

I loved his sire, too.

2 Likes

This year is just unbelievable for all the horses we have lost. I always loved to watch Point Given run. So sad for all who loved and cared for him. RIP sweet boy. :broken_heart:

2 Likes

Point Given really had a kind eye. Oh so confident but kind.

RIP.

Susan

3 Likes

Very sad news. He was a very good horse.

2 Likes

I was at the KY horse park the day before Funny Cide died and was lamenting that there were only two TBs in the Hall of Champions in the state of Kentucky. That struck me as a travesty and now there are none. Godspeed Point Given, I hope there are some deserving successors on the way.

2 Likes

Paging Smarty Jones…

2 Likes

Mine That Bird would be a wonderful candidate, but I think his owner is pretty attached to him.

There are plenty at Old Friends. Maybe they can rotate some in and out?

4 Likes

I’d love to see one of them be Tapit when he eventually gets pensioned.

I doubt Tapit is ever going anywhere

1 Like

I’d lobby for Smarty, Wise Dan, and Mine That Bird.

The latter two are retired with their owners, who may or may not be receptive to allowing them to live out their years at the horse park.

Smarty covered 22 mares this year for a fee of $3500. I mean no disrespect when I say he would be doing more for the breed hanging out in the Hall of Champions. He’s one of the few horses we have left who could actually be considered a household name!

3 Likes

Does anyone know what they guys who handle the horses in the ring make? They are so damn good!

What ring?

Keeneland