Unlimited access >

RIP Rick Porter

A truly class act. I remember him insisting that Songbird get worked up thoroughly when the trainer was saying no big deal. He cared about his horses. I wish that Omaha Beach had stayed healthy and had won the Derby for him.

5 Likes

Aw, that’s sad. From what I knew about him, he really seemed to love and care about his horses. RIP.

On of the good ones; I mean GREAT ones. He always did right by those in his ownership.

4 Likes

He was a class act. This is a loss to racing.

4 Likes

This breaks my heart. Had he not been so proactive in his care, some great ones wouldn’t have made it to retirement.

Godspeed!

2 Likes

He may have saved Songbird’s life.

1 Like

Without question, he did. After Eight Belles- no more!

2 Likes

Seeing the headline took my breath away. Godspeed…

2 Likes

Truly one of the greatest owners. Mr. Porter’s horses gave us so many awesome moments in racing. I was thrilled to see both Songbird and Havre de Grace run in person.

He put his money where his mouth was when it came to care of his own horses and aftercare in general. Many others just pay lip service to those issues — Mr. Porter actually helped. An owner with integrity who had well-deserved success. RIP

5 Likes

Mr. Porter deserves every superlative accolade given to him here and elsewhere.

We need more like him.

He cared for his horses and did a lot for fans of racing as well. I remember when he ran contests on his Rockport Harbor website for tickets to races and merchandise and he always interacted on the forums.

1 Like

Tremendous loss for the industry. Godspeed Rick, your work here was well done.

A great human being in so many ways: