Unlimited access >

RIP, Toby Keith

Very sad news. I know he had owned race horses for years.

4 Likes

Shoulda Been A Cowboy is one of the greatest songs ever created, no doubt. Love this video.

7 Likes

Toby Keith’s horses have earned over $18M on the track.

His homebred, Smack Smack, was a G3 winner of nearly a million dollars.

Although his lasting contribution as an owner and breeder may have been his homebred, Cactus Ridge, a G3 winner who went on to sire 475 foals in Kentucky and Oklahoma. He was actually a pretty good sire, too; I don’t know why they pensioned him early.

11 Likes

I loved “Shouda Been a Cowboy”, and “Beer for My Horses” with the inestimable Willie.

8 Likes

I didn’t know that about him (and was wondering why you posted it in the racing category). Wow. His music was a bit hit or miss for me, but what I liked, I really liked. Same two as merrygoround as well as Call a Marine and Good as I Once Was. Godspeed, sir.

7 Likes

I think I read an article that said he went sterile? Not sure where I saw that. Maybe Blood Horse?

2 Likes

Ah. It had to be something like that, because he was relatively young at the time and had recently moved to OK after spending the first decade of stud career in KY.

1 Like

@PaddockWood
Thank you ~ absolutely loved Should’ve Been a Cowboy !

RIP ~ Toby ~ knowing how much joy your music has given the world !

How Do You like Me Now ?!

2 Likes

OMG I forgot about that one too! Yes. Will listen now. RIP Toby and it 's a reminder to live each day to our fullest.

2 Likes

I can’t get “ Should Have Been a Cowboy” out of my head, now.:grinning:

2 Likes

Me neither :rofl: perhaps we should just “canter on” with the song in our heads today ~ rather nice diversion of sorts ~

6 Likes

Thank you for the information about his horse program!!

3 Likes

You make me laugh. I totally get it. OK, then play How Do You Like Me Now - that will switch it up. :grinning:

4 Likes

Red Solo Cup for me today.

5 Likes

Found it.

7 Likes
5 Likes

great human outside of his fame. So sad to see such a full of life character slowly waste away in body but not spirit

5 Likes

Stephen Colbert talked about him last night.

14 Likes

I love this.

1 Like

Wow. What a great takeaway from any friendship. Toby could be controversial, but we all are to someone. Wonderful tribute and reminder.

7 Likes