Unlimited access >

Rolex Kentucky 4* results 1998-2001, Top ten placings and breeding

This is for Statistical Analysis College Course. I specifically need the name of the horse and the breed of the 1998 9th place horse, the 1999 6th place horse, the 2000 8th place horse, and the breeds of the 2001 7th place horse Mallard’s Treat riden by Andrew Nicholson, and the 8th place horse Glen Garrick riden by Heelan Tompkins. I have the rest of my information from the help of USEA, and personal FEI and national eventing organization’s register.

Thank you for your time.

Mallards Treat was an Irish Sport Horse who does not appear in CapallOir under that name. I did find a partial pedigree that says the sire was the Irish TB Hildeney and the dam was unknown.

Glengarrick seems to have been a New Zealand bred since his first FEI competition was in New Zealand. He is described as black on all websites that mention him. New Zealand doesn’t have a WB stud book, so unless he is in the New Zealand Racing Studbook, he’ll be very difficult to pin down, as none of the usual sport horse websites have pedigrees for him.

BUT I did find a 1986 Glengarrick in the New Zealand TB studbook who is black and described as exported. That Glengarrick had six races and 1 win. He is by Beechcraft (NZ 1980) out of Sharpen Angel (GB 1980). The birthdate is 1987 on one site but that could well happen if a Southern hemisphere horse were exported since they start their year in July and the Northern Hemisphere starts its in January. It’s given as 1986 on the other and that’s the birthdate given on New Zealand Racing. The NZ TB Glengarrick had no sons or daughters. PedigreeQuery has a notation on the pedigree for the Beechcraft x Sharpen Angel that the horse “was on the list for the Sydney Olympics in 2000”.

Is this Heelan Tompkins’s Glengarrick? Hard to tell without contacting her, but it’s very suggestive.

[QUOTE=vineyridge;7561141]
Mallards Treat was an Irish Sport Horse who does not appear in CapallOir under that name. I did find a partial pedigree that says the sire was the Irish TB Hildeney and the dam was unknown.

Glengarrick seems to have been a New Zealand bred since his first FEI competition was in New Zealand. He is described as black on all websites that mention him. New Zealand doesn’t have a WB stud book, so unless he is in the New Zealand Racing Studbook, he’ll be very difficult to pin down, as none of the usual sport horse websites have pedigrees for him.

BUT I did find a 1986 Glengarrick in the New Zealand TB studbook who is black and described as exported. That Glengarrick had six races and 1 win. He is by Beechcraft (NZ 1980) out of Sharpen Angel (GB 1980). The birthdate is 1987 on one site but that could well happen if a Southern hemisphere horse were exported since they start their year in July and the Northern Hemisphere starts its in January. It’s given as 1986 on the other and that’s the birthdate given on New Zealand Racing. The NZ TB Glengarrick had no sons or daughters. PedigreeQuery has a notation on the pedigree for the Beechcraft x Sharpen Angel that the horse “was on the list for the Sydney Olympics in 2000”.

Is this Heelan Tompkins’s Glengarrick? Hard to tell without contacting her, but it’s very suggestive.[/QUOTE]

There’s a good chance this is him since the birth date fits: I know Glengarrick was 20 at the 2006 WEG in Aachen. The commentators made a big deal about his age (and rightly so!).

[QUOTE=DressageCB;7561051]
This is for Statistical Analysis College Course. I specifically need the name of the horse and the breed of the 1998 9th place horse, the 1999 6th place horse, the 2000 8th place horse, and the breeds of the 2001 7th place horse Mallard’s Treat riden by Andrew Nicholson, and the 8th place horse Glen Garrick riden by Heelan Tompkins. I have the rest of my information from the help of USEA, and personal FEI and national eventing organization’s register.

Thank you for your time.[/QUOTE]

1998 9th place Heelan Tompkins on Masterpeace. According to the FEI this horse was a 1981 model who ended up in Mexico. I remember several Mexicans running the Rolex 3* in 1998, so perhaps she sold him after the 4*. FEI has no breeding information. Horse was most likely a NZ bred since he started his FEI career with her in NZ. New Zealand Racing has no record of a horse named Masterpeace. None of the other sites have any breeding listed. This is one you’ll have to go to Ms. Tompkins for. Masterpeace was her first big horse.

1999 6th place Eddie Stibbe on Eton, who is said on one website to have been a NZSH. One pedigree site says that he is by the TB stallion Eton Gold. He is a 1988 horse who was with Stibbe for quite a while and won the Dutch Senior National Championships from 1996-1998 BE has no breeding for Eton, who may have also competed under the name AHO Eton. Eddie Stibbe competed on him at Sydney in 2000 for Netherlands Antilles. They moved up from 27th after dressage to 12th at the end. FEI has no breeding for him, and says that AHO is a temporary adminstrative structure for the Administering NF (Netherlands Antilles as a separate NF is probably the reason. FEI has him as a 1987 model, but they use 1/01/ for the birthdate instead of the Southern Hemisphere 7/01.

2000 8th place Mark Todd on Just A Mission Just a Mission is by the TB Just A Monarch and was English bred by Mrs. S. A. Wheeler. I’ve found a pedigree site that says his dam was Snow Fayre VII. The VII in English names usually means not full TB or Half Bred. Snow Fayre VII is said on this site to have been by the TB The Black Knight out of an unknown dam. I’ll do more digging on her. Perhaps BE has more information.

Masterpeace - NZTB by Coober Prince
https://www.nzracing.co.nz/Breeding/47553/Coober-Prince-IRE-1970.aspx#bm-pedigree

I suspect this is Masterpeace here
https://www.nzracing.co.nz/Breeding/28310/No-Doubt-NZ-1981.aspx

Though the ESNZ database lists his dam as Big Lady, and the dam in the pedigree is Big Girl, its the right year and the closest match. Likely that the ESNZ database is wrong as they just enter whatever the owner sends in and it would be easy to mistake the dam name Big Girl for Big Lady

nzrider, how does one access the ESNZ database? Is membership required? That could be a very useful tool.

It’s odd that all the horses that this post needs information on are connected to NZ.

No need for membership. Just go to www.nzequestrian.org.nz and click on horse profiles on the right.

http://www.nzequestrian.org.nz/Horse/Horses.aspx?ID=2073

Enter horse name and away you go. Not sure how useful though because it doesn’t actually list much in the way of breeding, just sire and dam. Its just I knew Coober Prince was a TB stallion as there are a fair few TB eventers with Coober Prince lines so then went to the nzracing database I’ve linked to in previous post.

And like in this instance, the sire and dam may not even be accurate as you just write them on the horse registration form when you first register a horse, no breed records required at all. ESNZ then just list whatever they are sent.

You all have been so helpful, my data is almost complete. I did have somebody contact me privately confirming that Glengarrick is a TB, I believe the person has a personal relationship with the horse. I am only missing the breed of Masterpeace and Just A Mission.
Thank you!