Unlimited access >

Rolex + Nike = A Big Thumbs Down From Me

So like a lot of eventers, I have been getting emails from Rolex Kentucky almost on a daily basis this winter. Everything from reserving your tailgating spot to early bird ticket sales… and while I barely read most of them, there was one e-blast that really cheesed me off but good.

Rolex Kentucky teaming up with Nike to bring you the latest in logo wear.

Holy cripes sake people who run Rolex. Seriously?

Of all the manufacturers of sports wear in the United States you had to partner with the one that re-signed the guy who tortured dogs to death? Yes, Michael Vick did his time and was sorry. That he got caught. And yes, that is my opinion of Mr. Vick’s apologies. As I was stewing away on this, I wondered if anyone else in eventing would think this is disgusting as I do. There are so many manufactures out there who make terrific stuff for riders. Why can’t we partner with THEM.

I’m angry that a sport that prides itself on the excellent care it gives to these incredible equine athletes, would choose to partner with a corporate brand whose lineup of celebrity spokespeople includes Lance Armstrong, Kobe Bryant, Tiger Woods, and Michael Vick. Nike you have cornered the market on the self-entitled, scheming athlete.

These athletes have collectively mistreated their staff, mistreated their spouses, abused drugs, caused suffering and death, and have been called into court or sent to jail for their crimes. But they are “winners” and we are the “losers” for putting them on a pedestal.

In a culture that refuses to assign consequences to everyone from the largest financial institutions and corporations to our own children to the worst societal offenders, Nike’s popularity comes at no surprise.

But not in my barn.

So to the people who run the only four-star on this side of the pond, I say no. I will not be buying any of your logo wear till you find a new manufacturer.

And while you are at it can we talk about that logo…

:applause: Well said.

Well said indeed. I know that Under Armour has partnered with SmartPak and that the founder now owns the historic Sagamore Farm. He’s active as a breeder and owner of TB racehorses. I have no idea if an outreach was made (or if other arrangements prohibit it) but UA seems like a far better match.

The sponsors volunteer I believe.

However the organization being sponsored does have the option of rejecting a sponsor as a lack of a good fit.

And Yes, they seem to be spending a lot of time and $$$ inviting us to spend our $$$.

Under Armour

A lot of people have mentioned Under Armour to me when we have discussed this… I really hope people will weigh in with their dollars and steer away from the Nike goods. Think of all the terrific vendors who will be there that are completely invested in the horse community.

Anything with Michael Vick is a big downer for me also. What he did was unexuseable. His parole should be picking up dog poop forever. Any company that partners with him or pays him should be ashamed.

Considering that it is almost March, it’s probably too late for them to pick up a whole new logo wear sponsor (though I imagine it’s been done before), but we can certainly make an effort not only to avoid Nike products at Rolex, but also to let Rolex Kentucky know WHY we think this is a bad idea. The Why is important. I doubt the people who made this decision saw any sort of connection beyond BIG! NAME! MONEY! A NEW MARKET!

Nike’s trying to expand into not just our market, but our ‘lifestyle.’ (Don’t laugh, advertisers think in these terms). If we don’t want to keep this sort of company, we need to actively push back.

I buy nike products regularly. I don’t condone the actions of the mentioned, but I bet every major company has sponsored someone that makes poor choices. I buy products for their fit, quality and price, and some nike products are my first choice in their class. I’m not the least bit bothered by them sponsoring Rolex. Actually, I see it as a positive and will hopefully bring more money/quality/improvements to the event. You certainly don’t have to buy their nike products if you don’t want to.

[QUOTE=merry_one;8013011]
Lance Armstrong, Kobe Bryant, Tiger Woods, and Michael Vick. Nike you have cornered the market on the self-entitled, scheming athlete.[/QUOTE]

You forgot Serena Williams :lol:

[QUOTE=merry_one;8013011]
Lance Armstrong, Kobe Bryant, Tiger Woods, and Michael Vick. Nike you have cornered the market on the self-entitled, scheming athlete.[/QUOTE]

Oh, but you forgot the drugs cheat Marion Jones and the murderer Oscar Pistorius.

Tiger Woods and Kobe Bryant don’t bother me as much as the others. So they weren’t the best husbands. I would argue that in Bryant’s case, having a wife who can be bought off with some expensive jewelry shows that the two might be a good match.

But the others are heinous, and were – especially Armstrong, Pistorius and Jones – well-paid and heavily promoted by Nike, even when it became obvious that Armstrong and Jones were cheaters/criminals and Pistorius was trigger-happy and in need of anger management.

The current top Nike distance running coach (at the Oregon Project) is also the tempestuous type. Last year at US nationals, he intimidated officials into disqualifying other athletes for interference to favor his own. One of the DQ’ed athletes was clearly not involved in the interference incident at all, yet even with video evidence on site was still DQ’d and not reinstated for eight months. All because this Nike-supported coach gets what he wants.

I don’t and won’t wear anything Nike. Not that in matters in light of the fine athletes they support, but I also think their logo is ugly.

:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Linny;8013148]
Well said indeed. I know that Under Armour has partnered with SmartPak and that the founder now owns the historic Sagamore Farm. He’s active as a breeder and owner of TB racehorses. I have no idea if an outreach was made (or if other arrangements prohibit it) but UA seems like a far better match.[/QUOTE]

Love Under Armour products…those I would buy (and already buy their stuff). MUCH better quality than Nike. Nike hasn’t had top gear for me in anything in a long time. Certainly not the best in running shoes or clothes.

[QUOTE=bornfreenowexpensive;8030002]
Love Under Armour products…those I would buy (and already buy their stuff). MUCH better quality than Nike. Nike hasn’t had top gear for me in anything in a long time. Certainly not the best in running shoes or clothes.[/QUOTE]

:yes:

Although I can appreciate those who choose to not support Nike for whatever reason, the fact that Nike has chosen to target the Equine market should be seen as a positve to the sport. Nike apparently sees a growth opportunity in equine sports.

Why is this a bad thing? Other than ones personal choice to buy or not buy their products, it appears to me to be another validation of the sport.

With the Summer Olympic not far off, how cool would it be to see an individual eventer or better yet the U.S. Team promoted by a marketing machine such as Nike.

Well, good grief, there are a lot of people in the Bible who did seriously bad things.

Is that cause to not read the Bible?

Am I to stop listening to the Rolling Stones because Keith used to use “horse”?

I would have more problems with Nike’s alleged employment of underage workers in sweatshops than with what athletes it sponsored have done.

1 Like

[QUOTE=RPM;8030532]
Well, good grief, there are a lot of people in the Bible who did seriously bad things.

Is that cause to not read the Bible?[/QUOTE]

It’s one of many perfectly valid reasons, depending on your criteria for historical fiction.

:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=JER;8030588]
It’s one of many perfectly valid reasons, depending on your criteria for historical fiction.

:)[/QUOTE]

Wow.

Have those who object to Nike as a sponsor let Rolex know … or are they just complaining on the internet?

[QUOTE=OverandOnward;8030797]
Have those who object to Nike as a sponsor let Rolex know … or are they just complaining on the internet?[/QUOTE]

I looked on the website to find out more about this Nike-Rolex collaboration but there’s nothing there. It looks like the Rolex 3DE is selling Nike-branded apparel; it’s not clear if this is a ‘partnership’ or just what the Rolex 3DE is buying and putting their event name on.

Can anyone clarify?

[QUOTE=EventingDad;8030510]

With the Summer Olympic not far off, how cool would it be to see an individual eventer or better yet the U.S. Team promoted by a marketing machine such as Nike.[/QUOTE]
Wasn’t it Nike that ran those ads last summer Olympics that featured equestrian and sailing as the only Olympic sports not sponsored?

[QUOTE=JER;8032693]
I looked on the website to find out more about this Nike-Rolex collaboration but there’s nothing there. It looks like the Rolex 3DE is selling Nike-branded apparel; it’s not clear if this is a ‘partnership’ or just what the Rolex 3DE is buying and putting their event name on.

Can anyone clarify?[/QUOTE]

Good point. I can buy a Nike polo through my embroiderer and have my logo put on it - but in no way does that mean I’m ‘partnering’ with Nike or that I’m being endorsed or supported by them. I don’t buy Nike, but that’s mostly because I find the products over-priced for the quality.