Unlimited access >

Rolling spot material?

My stalls open into my pasture and it’s on a mild slope. I currently have river sand there and my three like to roll, sleep, and sun bathe at the bottom of the slope. I want to put some other material on the slope because the river sand doesn’t stay in place and it’s also orange (clay soil). I have two grays who are always orange! A local grader/rock guy suggested a crushed granite material. He said the rock pieces will sink down to make a base and I’ll be left with a dust of sorts on top. My main concern with any material is that when they roll, it doesn’t tear up their sheets and blankets…I’ve paid a small fortune for those things!!

Thoughts and suggestions?

Unless you put down geotextile fabric first, then fill over the fabric, you will probably lose the fill. Have to say clay eats any rocks and gravel you put on it without fabric to keep them seperated.

Can you level off a flat location, lay fabric and put the deeper sand pile there? Might keep the sand in place longer, prevent some orange after rolling. Sand piles do need refilling with time because horses track it out and away.

Granite sounds harsh for rolling on, going to be hard on the blankets. Doesn’t it get sharp edges when crushed from the original location? You might visit the stone yard, see it in recommended sizes, feel it in your hand, before buying. Talk to the guys about your planned use of it at the stone yard, he may know more than the guy wanting to spread it for rolling on.

1 Like