Unlimited access >

Rope halter for dressage groundwork

I watched an Amelia Newcomb video where she discussed ground work (love her videos) and she mentioned the type/brand of rope halter and lead that she uses. I can’t remember what she said, and I can’t seem to find the video. Does anybody know what halter it is?

Pick one that is flexible and easy to tie and fits your horse. They don’t all fit every head.

3 Likes

In this video, at about the 7 minute mark, she shows the rope halter she uses and talks about its characteristics… although she doesn’t mention the brand. Hopefully this helps point you in the right direction!

1 Like

No clue what she uses but I love my Ridge Creek rope halter and loping hackmore I trail ride in.

1 Like

I’m not sure what kind she uses, just here to recommend the Downunder Horsemanship rope halter and 14ft lead. The quality is unmatched. Drag them through the sand, the mud, water… literally anything and they will still look like new when you send them through the wash.

I have several sets and will continue to use his line of equipment.

Downunder Horsemanship Halter and Lead Set

3 Likes

Stiffer is better, the knots stand off just a bit in the stiffer ones. I like an integrated lead rope. I have a pile of these. I can buy 3 of these or one Clinton Special lol. Sorry, that’s highway robbery.

https://westernranchsupply.com/brand/steele-halters/

4 Likes

Thanks, everyone! I remembered…I think the brand she mentioned was Double Diamond.

1 Like

Brand doesn’t really matter with rope halters. I personally use soft halters with a braided noseband and find that they have plenty of respect. Some people like them stiffer with knots.

I buy mine from this website because I like the accents but you can get them from almost anywhere, you don’t need a particular clinician’s brand

2 Likes

I don’t know what one that is but I love these halters and is all I use on my mare.

I find them the best of both worlds (standard halter and rope halter). They also make leather ones.

My mare was a bit too reactive to a straight rope halter. She seems much happier with this one. I was apprehensive about the nose knots but she is very accepting of them on this halter.

Susan

2 Likes

I have a down under halter with the extra nose knots. It’s been durable enough. I switched to using my regular flat leather halter though. I think the knots were overkill for my horse

2 Likes

I love the Hybrid halter too! Great to use on my mare that doesn’t respect the flat leather halter and easy enough for my non horsey SO to use (the regular rope halters that have to be tied were too much for him). For a regular rope halter I LOVE knotty girlz. You can choose the rope thickness, stiffness, color and they have sizes that actually fit my fine boned TB without being overwhelming.

I have the hybrid halter in leather for traveling, but the rope halters are cheaper and I don’t feel as bad if they get rained on or gross when hanging outside by the gate. :joy:

I like the soft ones, Brent Graef sells an excellent one with a treeline lead rope with a lovely feel.

IMO the stiff ones can be too much for sensitive horses. Also make sure it only has two knots unless you have a good reason for the extra two knots over the nose.

And please tie the rope directly and do not use a clip, it bangs around under the chin and interferes with the communication.

2 Likes

I have ordered rope halters (and rope) from Half Circle Ranch, and I have always had excellent experiences with them. Their halters are super customizable - you can choose to go with soft or stiff rope, you can add things like nose knots or noseband braiding, and they come in a variety of sizes. They also have a halter sizing guide to help you find the best fit.

I’m a big fan of the Knotty Girlz halters https://www.knottygirlz.com/halters/

I have both a stiff and a soft. Definitely do not use a lead with a snap.

6 Likes

Double Diamond, stiff, horse-sized, with a long 1/2 inch yacht/tree-line lead.

I always use a lead rope with a snap with my rope halters, not using one is personal preference, I got mine from here so I can pick my colors. I like the extra length for ground work.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/657375083/12-looped-lead-rope-for-parelli-training?ref=yr_purchases

2 Likes

I too prefer a rope with a snap. Never had an issue with the clip muddling communications or banging the horse. My horse’s GW is pretty solid so I could probably use a length a baling twine just as easily as a proper lead, but he hasn’t always been that way.

3 Likes

The main thing people mess-up on with a halter is not securing it tight enough that the nose rope is high enough up on the horses’s face. In the photo of that trainer, notice how high she has it place. THAT’s where you want it. Also…all those knots can be adjusted. So if the knots fall right on the sharp cheekbones, move them down a couple of inches.

I make my own rope halters btw… Not difficult to do.

6 Likes

I use these. https://marystack.com/double-diamond-100-stiff-rope-halter/

2 Likes