Unlimited access >

Rubber flooring in trailers - is it long lasting? Is it safe?

Hey Y’all,

I am having my trailer repaired. The guy suggested rubber floors. Anyone have experience? How long do they last? Are they safe-ie do they have a spontanous failure? He said they were more expensive. If it’s not too awfully pricey, I’d like the convenience, BUT I’m worried about the failure thing most of all.

Any stats? Any experience?

Thanks very much!!!

Regards,
Huntin’Fool

Are you talking about Rumber flooring? If so, we have had it in our trailer since 2016 with no problems.

Hey, no it’s Shelby Trailer flooring, which I presume is similar. AND the guy just messaged me to say that they’re out of stock and can’t get any til Sept, so in the words of Miss Emily Latella (if you’re old enough) never mind. I would like to hear what folks think anyway.

Regards,
Huntin’Fool

If you are talking about replacing an old floor with Rumber then one thing to check is the spacing of the floor supports. I believe it requires no more than 12" between them.

If you have a horse that paws, they may damage the ‘boards’ which are expensive to replace.

1 Like

I have Rumber floors in my 2002 Hawk trailer, and they have held up fine.
But, as someone noted, they need closer spaced supports than wood floors.

2 Likes

But if they are talking about the spray coating (NOT rumbar), if you get a nick or tear in that coating, you will get trapped moisture between the coating and the flooring. That’s almost impossible to detect or dry out, so they are easy until they aren’t, and then they are expensive. A few years ago when I ordered my trailer and inquired about the coating (I’m blanking on the name, but it’s not uncommon in the high end trailers) the builder told me that was the new big repair job he was handling so he really wasn’t that keen about recommending it (he did some trailer repairs as well as building custom trailers).

1 Like

I’m guessing it is this: https://shelbytrailer.com/products/#tongueandgroove

I know OP said never mind but for anyone else who comes across this thread - this is what I replaced my Brenderup Baron floor with. The shop did add supports to the floor (8” apart I think?). I’ve used the trailer very very lightly since then due to other issues (needing the shocks and brakes done). I like the floor from what I can tell but I think it’s too early to tell for me. I went with their flooring due to the 20 year warranty.